Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

90 sundance Upper Rear shock bolt broken

Discussion in 'EEK!FAQ' started by Aldergrove, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Aldergrove

Aldergrove Active Member

My 90 Sundance needs its left rear upper shock bolt stump removed. THe head broke off despite plenty of lube. Trying to hammer it out is difficult since there isn\t enough room to give your 3 pound hammer+ a drift or small bolt + a good swing.

IT is soaked and will turn from the nut (fwd) side, but won't budge. I wish I could press it out, but there's no room for a c clamp.

I'm, concerned about using propane so close to the filler neck!

You thoughts...

2. B10alia

B10alia Well-Known Member

I used a Sawzall. The same thing happened on my Spirit when I did the rear shocks. Rounded off the head and couldn't get anything in behind the bracket. I cut up the rubber isolator with a utility knife and pulled as much of it off as I could. Then, I just cut straight through the sleeve and bolt on both sides of the shock. Don't use an angle grinder, all those sparks could easily start a fire. Get a pack of hard metal cutting blades and pull the blade out of the cut every 15-30 seconds to wet it down with some WD-40. It takes a while but you will get through. Even if you could get a hammer in there, I doubt you could drive that stump out. I'd be willing to bet the reason the head broke in the first place was heavy corrosion between the bolt and the sleeve, which essentially welds them together.

3. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

You can grab the mounting bracket edges with vise grips and bend them slightly to get more clearance to get a tap in there.

4. Aldergrove

Aldergrove Active Member

Sawzall to the rescue. The bolt rustbonded to the shock's metal sleeve. Nothing would work. So always always coat your bolts with anti-seize to prevent this. Good insurance.

5. B10alia

B10alia Well-Known Member

I think the bending depends on the car, Bob. There are a couple of "lumps" in my Spirit's fenderwell that prevent getting much in the way of tools in there.