Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

904 band adjustment stopped the slip, but added a mystery

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by skully, May 8, 2017.

1. skully

skully New Member

hi folks, new guy. 904 torqueflite on a 318, 75 valiant. i just did the low-reverse band adjustment as per a 70s chilton manual (4 turns out), and the carb to tranny linkage adjustment via advice posted online (gas pedal depressed to the floor, carb linkage adjusted all the way back toward firewall, and tranny linkage all the way back toward rear of car). things improved, as before this i was slipping real bad going into 3rd, now it drives soild. my issue is now i only detect one shift and cant be sure what gears i have, if in fact one is missing. it starts from a stop just fine, so i dont think 1st gear is gone. i can open it up on the highway and it sails, but as soon as i take my foot off the gas, speed decreases rapidly as if something were pulling it back. before this adjustment, 2nd gear peaked at about 45mph, so its hard to believe its still in 2nd, not reaching 3rd, if i can go 70mph - but if i move the gear select to 2, i can open it up as if in D. i havent tried to go highway speeds with the shifter on 2, but my feeling is it will. maybe the linkage adjustment tightened things so much im just not used to it, and the missing shift is seemless? looking at a long distance trip so i want to get this right. any ideas?

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

With light throttle pressure on level ground, the car should shift into 2nd around 10-15 mph, and into 3rd around 25-30 mph. The more throttle you give it, the higher the speed it shifts at. My 66 Plymouth would shift at full throttle into 2nd at 42 mph and into 3rd at 68 mph. If you don't get the same reactions, it's possible that the downshift linkage is misadjusted.
    A tachometer would tell you what gear you are in. Depending on axle ratio, you can expect around 3000 RPM at 70 mph in 3rd.

3. skully

skully New Member

thanks a bunch. now im pretty sure im not getting into 3rd. it just stunned me how comfortable 2nd gear is at high speeds. i will search the forums for advice on how to do the linkage...

4. dana44

Ad-Free Member

One thing for sure, the linkage adjustment is one of the most painful and time consuming things for the 727/904 transmissions. At this point, since the book never seems to get it right, follow the directions and it still doesn't work quite right, it's figure out where the shift points are and then adjust them to where they need to be to drive comfortably. Bob is right on the shift points, now getting there is the fun part. It usually takes several trial and error attempts to get it where you are comfortable, so make sure the springs are good, no binding, and then small incremental changes in the kickdown pivot on the carb linkage point. Now. Some of the adjustment rods are threaded, some are bolt and clamp, not sure which you have, but adjustments of .020-.030 at a time to dial it in, test drive, adjust again until you get it where you are happy. Have fun, and good luck.

5. pt006

pt006 Active Member

To adjust the throttle lever linkage, first raise the car high enough to get to the tranny linkage [be safe]. There is a sliding block on the tranny throttle lever. Loosen the clamp bolt. This block must move freely on the linkage rod. Then open the carb choke fully and wire it open. Drop the fast idle cam down. Go back under the car and push the tranny throttle lever fully forward. Hold it there and tighten the clamp bolt.There should be a medium duty spring ahead of the clamp which keeps forward tension on the linkage assy. Road test.

6. skully

skully New Member

Update: thanks for the help btw. I did just as pt006 said, clutch wired open, cam down, tranny lever forward, then reclamp the linkage. That gave me some progress.. at one point it shifted into 3rd at 75mph, every other time no dice. BUT, if I take my foot off the gas at high speed, at which point it slips out of gear, I can hit the gas and it catches in 3rd most of the time. So the slip is back in all gears when I lift my foot, but when I repress the pedal it catches seemingly in the right gear. I figure I will repeat the same adjustment. If that doesnt take then maybe ill try different fluid with stop slip to see what results I get

7. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

My brother's 74 Valiant did this. Try adjusting both bands. If that doesn't work, the clutch material maybe worn down too far.

8. skully

skully New Member

I was afraid id have to face the music eventually and tackle that kickdown band. I also have plenty of rubber shavings in the filter and bottom of the pan, seemingly gasket material.

9. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yeah, rubber material is bad. That means the hydraulic seals to engage the clutches themselves have deteriorated and a rebuild is pretty much guaranteed to be the only repair. Sorry.

10. skully

skully New Member

Ouch. Thank you. Ill make some calls

11. skully

skully New Member

Anybody want a valiant? Nice, original, 56k, needs tranny. Inquire within. (-:

12. pt006

pt006 Active Member

If the car is worth saving, I'd throw a used 904 back into it. 273, 318, 360 should fit. Non-lockup? They go in and out pretty quick. But pull the pan on the 'new' one and inspect before installing. And use the 'new' torque converter, as yours might be contaminated.

13. skully

skully New Member

Right but its another chance buying a used one if I can find it and I was in the process of selling it when this all happened. Too broke to pour any more money in, already did the brakes, carb, tires and a bunch of other things. Now im just looking for someone to take it for a grand so I can move forward, but buyers are scarce in a small town, we'll see how it goes. Yeah its very much worth saving, very nice car

14. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Post pics, please.

15. skully

skully New Member

Looks like the files are too large, ill post in segments. Slow web connection, so itll take a minute

Attached Files:

16. skully

skully New Member

I dont know why but it wont take anymore pics. I get an error msg. Clean interior of gold and brown, no cracks in dash. Tight headliner, no sag. Nice gold carpet. Carpeted trunk. V8 318 very strong. Hard top is coated with a sand textured coating, not vinyl. Rear leaf springs are orig and sag so I lowered the front via the equipped bolts to match. New belts hoses wires and all tune up, etc. Rebuilt carb, new tires. All that is new within 500 miles driving, as is entire front braking system from lines to calipers to discs

17. skully

skully New Member

75 valiant custom

18. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Very nice car.
    Would be much better to replace the rear springs. When you lower the car by adjusting the torsion bars, you change not only the spring rate of the front end, but also the handling characteristics and, I think, the alignment.

19. skully

skully New Member

True, it rides nice now but was super smooth when it was higher

20. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

My brother sold his Valiant without fixing whatever caused the unexpected downshift to 2nd, but I would try the band adjustment and fluid and filter change before giving up on it.
    Also, maybe adjust the downshift rod further. At what speed does it shift from 1-2 on level ground with light throttle?