Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

92 LeBaron : led's for center tail light section

Discussion in 'EEK!FAQ' started by fastfish, Jun 20, 2014.

1. fastfish

fastfish Member

I have a 92 lebaron convertible and a spare center tail light section. I was kind of wondering how I might go about lighting the center section. Does anyone know anyone who has done this? I suspect led strips would be the easiest way but what would I need to do it?? What brightness of LED? How would I keep a consistent brightness that would blend in with the stock lights?I have wired some interior leds under the dash and the wiring is actually pretty easy so I don't see any problems being able to wire it. Any ideas?

2. neon98rt

neon98rt Well-Known Member

i did this with normal lights and it was ok looking.
    I wanted to do it with the led strips but never could find one the correct lenght.

You have to cut a hole in the back of the center strip to fish in the light strip then connect the wires to the regular tail light wires.

The center strip is two pieces fyi.

The hard part is you will have to either use those ribbon led strips and cut a small hole to fish one end in and pull it out the other or cut on large hole for the hard led strip . Hard strip equals no two way tape , the ribbon strips will need to be held down somehow on the inside. And no you cant take the red lens off. I tried on a broken one.

Good luck post pictures

3. fastfish

fastfish Member

Thanks for the info!
    !I already have the red lenses off..and no cracks*whew* It does require some care to do it but really just six tabs hold it in and It has to be pried from the butyl a little at a time. I used a deck screw actually to pry the top tabs up enough to release them*l*
    I'm going to buy the strips tomorrow .and will just drill a hole in the plastic bubble that goes around the existing bulb for the wiring. Then I'll just use black silicon to seal the hole after wiring. I'll use black silicon to seal the lenses back also. I have seen some strip lighting that can be cut to size on ebay..but I'm leery of it ..some remarks mentioned the difficulty of adhering and that individual leds are apt to not work. Being on the trunk lid,they are going to have to be able to stand some bumping.. I could probably use wire ties to hold the strips or tubes in..just drill a couple small hole in a few places to thread them through panels.
    I will take pictures and try to make a "how to " for it..

4. neon98rt

neon98rt Well-Known Member

i would glue them down or drill holes and twist tie them in. Glad the two parts came apart for you. i didnt want to try that and crack them. I hope the led lights are bright enough to do the job.
    you could probably just have someone hold them up while you stand back before you do any cutting or drilling.