Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

92 Plymouth Sundance Duster

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by Joshua T, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Joshua T

Joshua T New Member

I just bought this vehicle from my neighbor for $500 and it has the v6 and only 96000 miles. The car is a bit rough with paint but the interior is perfect and has a cool cassette player so it's all original. I'll be taking pics later on when I get home and if my wife hasn't blocked it with the Suburban.

Anyway it has the graphics on it still but seems to have added some horrible flames on it too. Is there a company that makes new decals so I can repaint it and put some news back on. I like the duster logo. I can't find original wheels for it yet but I think it's time to make it a bit lower and cruise it around town. It's the automatic but I'd like to swap to a stick if I can.

The only real issue is throttle position sensor. Unplugged everything runs perfect but plugged in it'll act like the transmission is going out. Any thoughts?

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Have you checked for fault codes? Is the CEL on? You can do the key dance (on-off-on-off-on) and then watch the CEL or Power Loss light for codes (count the number of flashes).

I'd check the wiring thoroughly before replacing the TPS.

It's possible for the TPS to be marginal without setting the CEL. Had that happen with the '92 Acclaim I had. Lots of hesitation, but no CEL. On a hunch I replaced the TPS and the hesitation/rough idle went away.

Joshua T likes this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Your best bet is to find a local shop that can recreate the decals from what is on the car.

You can try to get the part numbers and search for NOS, but they may not exist.

Joshua T likes this.
  4. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

On the 3.0 change the belt...thr 3.0 if maintained properly is a easy 200,000 engine.

5. Rickorino

Rickorino Well-Known Member

If you have access to an analog multimeter, using the resistance setting, you can check for "deadspots" in the TPS by manually excercising the sensor/throttle. Should see a smooth change in resistance without momentary opens (drop outs) which would indicate fault. It is nothing more than a volume control on an old radio or tv. Damaged or corroded connections are another possibility.

Bob Lincoln and pt006 like this.
  6. Joshua T

Joshua T New Member

Man you guys are quick at helping. Thanks for the info and I'll be giving it a shot and see what I can do.

7. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Check out Phoenix Graphix. They can make any custom decals you want. (If they don't already have it on their website). All they need is a picture. If there's grapics on your car now, measure the length and height and give them those sizes also. Any color you want. I've done it before and the results are #1. A1 Decals are another place I use and had excellent service and results. You can upload the image to them, with color and sizing and it's as good as done. They will verify first.

Joshua T likes this.
  8. Joshua T

Joshua T New Member

I've been looking for help to modify my car also, ie lower the suspension, small tune up on the motor and hopefully a new radio. What sites do you guys use? I've been searching but mostly everything is generic fitting at best and zero information on helping find any aftermarket parts.

9. Joshua T

Joshua T New Member

PO has replaced it a few times with nothing helping to solve the issue. No CEL light when plugged in but only when disconnected. I'll have to grab a code reader to see if it helps but thanks for the key dance info. Is there a quick reference on how many blinks mean what?

10. Joshua T

Joshua T New Member

So I plugged in the tps just to test it out and sure enough it shifted fine. I went to work for the rest of my day and came back and drovebhome. Sure enough it wouldn't shift gears. When I first did it I only got it to shift into 2nd gear because I was in a parking lot.
    So with the tps plugged in with the key dance give me blinks even though no cel is on?

ImperialCrown likes this.
  11. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Codes can be stored without giving you a CEL, if that's what you're asking, yes.

Joshua T likes this.
  12. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

TCM (transaxle control module) fault codes will need a DRB (or equivalent) scan tool plugged into the body diagnostic controller on a car this old.
    The 'ck eng' or 'Power Loss' warning light only gives PCM (engine) fault codes.
    We need the TCM fault code(s) in order to help diagnose this.
    I wouldn't spend any money on other things before you can find out what the transaxle issue is.

Joshua T likes this.
  13. Joshua T

Joshua T New Member

So I did the key dance with and without it plugged in. What does 122455 mean?

14. Joshua T

Joshua T New Member

So my codes read as follows
    So is that a 12 and a 24?

15. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

12 means battery recently disconnected, 24 calls out a problem with the TPS, and 55 is End Of Message.

Joshua T likes this.
  16. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

And the 12 often occurs even without a battery disconnect, the logic tends to set a code 12 whenever any other code is set.

Joshua T and Doug D like this.
  17. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I think my Acclaims ('90 & '92) always showed code 12. Never had a time when they didn't show a code 12 even if the only other code was 55.

Joshua T likes this.
  18. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The 12 is a 'code begin' preamble when using the dash lamp method just like 55 means 'codes end'.
    The 12 may not appear when using a scan tool. Disregard it.
    The important code is 24 and that may be because you had the TPS disconnected with the ignition turned on.
    You can not get transaxle codes by using the dash lamp. Transaxle codes will need a scan tool.

Joshua T likes this.
  19. Joshua T

Joshua T New Member

So now I have no reverse lights. Is there a reverse light switch hidden in the car?