AF: 93 Acclaim Fuel Pump Plug | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

93 Acclaim Fuel Pump Plug

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by MyJeepXJ, Jul 13, 2014.

1. MyJeepXJ

MyJeepXJ New Member

See if it pumps out gas at the filter inlet line with jumping relay should I only let pump run couple seconds?

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Yes, just enough to see that it pumps several good squirts of fuel. Catch it in a jerry can or glass jar.

From there we go back to the ASD relay for more electrical testing.

3. MyJeepXJ

MyJeepXJ New Member

What's the proper way to jump the relay cause now when I give it power with a wire from battery + to the fuel pump terminal on the relay I get nothing

4. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

You have to provide a ground from - battery to the - relay terminal, also. The - terminal of the relay is not grounded until the computer switches it actively to ground.

5. MyJeepXJ

MyJeepXJ New Member

So run a ground to the same terminal as the + on the fuel pump relay?

6. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Run 12v to the + terminal of the relay coil, and run a ground to the - terminal of the relay coil. This will close the relay and activate the pump.

7. MyJeepXJ

MyJeepXJ New Member

Sorry another dumb question Bob what do you mean by relay coil?

8. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

A relay has 4 connections: two for the relay coil inside, which actuates the relay by energizing the magnetic armature, so it has + and - terminals. And the load side, which is the switch that closes inside, has + and - terminals. The load side is the one that the pump connects to.

Some of these relays have metal bodies and the metal case may be the ground for the - terminal of the relay. if it has a plastic case, there should be 4 terminals.

9. MyJeepXJ

MyJeepXJ New Member

Which ones would be the + or - thought I had it figured out sorry this Haynes manual I have doesn't even show fuel pump relay anywhere but I know this is it.

It has 6 wires 2 DG/BK, 2 DB/YL, DB, RD/WT the fuel pump is DG/BK

It has 5 of the plastic body 4 prong relays Fuel Pump, Starter, ASD, AC, and Rad Fan

10. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

You would want to jump B (Rd/Wt) and D (DG/Bk) as in this view here:
    2013-05-27_140250_diagram.gif
    Haynes is really fairly useless for this level of work. If you are into working on your own vehicles, it is much less frustrating if you have the complete factory service manual in your 'tool' inventory. It may seem expensive for one, but it can easily pay for itself the first time it is used and that is a good feeling. :)

Bob Lincoln and MyJeepXJ like this.
  11. MyJeepXJ

MyJeepXJ New Member

Hey thanks your just helping me out with all my vehicles LOL yeah Haynes and Chiltons pretty basic need to break down and get the FSM for our vehicles

12. MyJeepXJ

MyJeepXJ New Member

Now I can't seem to get anything when jumping the fuel pump relay

13. MyJeepXJ

MyJeepXJ New Member

Any suggestions on a good brand of fuel pump to get or is there a good cheap universal pump that works? Last one I changed I just took what AAP had in stock and that was a Spectra and it didn't last long at all.

Been looking at Rock Auto thinking about just getting the fuel pump module repair kit, but not sure if it would work with the Spectra because it says only for OEM pump
    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1228227&parttype=6256

14. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Don't bother with a repair kit. Get Denso, Bosch, Carter or Walpro.

Doug D likes this.
  15. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

+1! It's better to get the quality part so you don't have to do the job again sooner than expected.

16. bamman

bamman Part Connoisseur

Get a Bosch 67608 fuel pump. Bosch is the actual OE part manufacturer for this particular application. I just replaced mine in my car. It is just as good of quality as the original and my particular pump was made in the USA.

17. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

If you are having repeated fuel pump failures, it may be prudent to drop the tank and take a good look inside.
    You may find water, debris or muck on the bottom or inside the tank walls that is entering and killing pumps. After 21 years, the inside of a tank can collect a lot of garbage.
    You may be able to flush out and dry a non-rusted tank, but I have had to replace them before because of internal contamination as well.

18. mnj

mnj New Member

A friend of mine would never put more then five dollars worth of gas in at one time he often sputtered up to the pump. He had a lot of fuel pumps put in. His that first gen caravan.