Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

93 D150 V6 to V8 swap

Discussion in 'Pre-1994 trucks, commercial vehicles' started by tph318, Aug 27, 2017.

1. tph318

tph318 Active Member

My old truck runs good but the Magnum V6 is not up to the task of pulling my 14' trailer loaded with atv's. I was thinking of a V8 swap . Has anyone here done this swap before or have any idea what needs to be changed. The truck is a 93 D150 with the NV4500 5 speed. I know I'll need the engine, computer, and different mounts.

2. dana44

Ad-Free Member

It is a bolt-in swap, and best to have the donor vehicle present with this swap. If going to this extent though, might be easier or cheaper just to replace the whole truck. Given I take it you don't want to do that, couple things to take into consideration. A trashed or rusted out truck would be less expensive to do the swap. You will need engine, trans (V8 is beefier than the V6 and 4cylinder for the manual trans), rear end may be beefier, too, exhaust is different, engine and trans mount should be in the same location, the vapor canister and tubes, lines and connections (should be the same at the gas tank, but the canister is different I believe), the computer and wiring harness, fuel line and fuel tank should be the same. And the hood stickers for V8 vice V6 (if you are in a smog region, they like to look at them in CA), but overall it is a couple weekend swap if you have both trucks next to each other. I have done this swap (similar) twice now, and it is pretty much a straight unbolt/bolt-in procedure.
    While the V8 is out, it is a good time to do a complete clean and gasket change just to keep things cleaner longer, and prevent head gasket issues a couple years down the road (that's a pain), and also get the injectors cleaned if a high mileage engine (or replace them if over 150K mile engine).

Volunteer likes this.
  3. tph318

tph318 Active Member

I'll probably never find a donor truck here in the rust belt. I don't think I'll need the trans from what I have read.The NV4500 is the same in the V8 trucks and the diesel version was more stout. It's my understanding that I just need to add wiring for 2 more injectors to the v8 computer. Finding a good V8 standard transmission OBD I computer is going to be fun. I'm not in a hurry to do this swap. This is a good winter project if I can source all the parts. Dana44, You are right, I may be better to buy newer. I just hate payments. I have some money tied up in this old truck that I will lose if I sell it .

4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

The only wiring harness difference V6 to V8 is the injector harness as I under it, as you mentioned.

5. dana44

Ad-Free Member

This is the cool thing about a donor truck to do this kind of swap, as long as it is legal and not a stolen vehicle, you can get something that has been totaled or not registered, whole lot of options that usually show up on places like craigslist for under a grand. When it is all said and done, you can sell your engine with computer, transmission, save whatever parts you want off the carcass and scrap the rest, recoup more than half your money that way. If it's a winter project, no rush grabbing the first thing you find, look around for a while.

Volunteer likes this.
  6. mopar4wd

mopar4wd Member

10 Years or so ago, I helped a friend swap a slant 6 for a 318 on his 85 ram. We also put a auto out of the donor truck. it was pretty easy everything bolted up. Had an exhaust shop weld in a new exhaust for a couple hundred bucks.

If you don't have to deal with emissions you could swap in a Carbuerated engine. As mentioned just follow craigslist eventually you will find a donor truck. Or try car-parts.com look for parts even if you don't find what your looking for look for a yard with other parts for a 93 ram with a V* and call they may have the truck still.

Volunteer likes this.
  7. LordHobbit

LordHobbit Active Member

Volunteer and Devildodge like this.
  8. Volunteer

Volunteer Well-Known Member

And I thought 'dana44' was a master at spending other people's money - on their behalf. ;)

But, all good advice as yet another viable option.

My first and only Dak. was the '92 with conventional cab, V6 (Magnum) and 500 auto. It had 175 net. hp and a full 3" diameter pipe between 'Y' connection and cat-con inlet. Compared to the 360 - 2Bbl. half-ton I had 15 years earlier, this thing really 'hauled' - and well over 22 mpg.

Another option is to pull fewer ATV's or use a lighter trailer? :p

9. timh2870

timh2870 Member

did this to my '90, 3.9 tbi to 5.9 carb, 2wd. both LA engines. it is NOT a direct swap. the motor mounts are in different places, but i was able to weld the bracket from the 5.9 to the bracket for the 3.9, as they share one common bolt hole, about midway from the bellhousing to the front at the bottom of the block. just remember to cut a notch in the 3.9's bracket to make access for the block drain plugs if you ever plan on using them.

10. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yes, but I always try to keep the cost down as much as possible, including ways to recoup some of the cost when possible. We all know this stuff isn't free, some things are more expensive than others, depending on what a person really wants to do.
    Timh2870, good to know about the motor mounts themselves. On my 95 Dakota the motor mounts were bolted to the K member to allow for the 2.5, 3.9 and 5.2/5.9. A little surprised the bigger truck didn't do the same since the 3.9 and 5.2/5.9 are available engines, but alas, stranger things have happened.
    I wonder if Schumacher has an adapter mount for the swap since they have every other mount swap available. Something to look at.