Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

93 Sundance DTC 41

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by phinxter, Oct 29, 2017.

1. phinxter

phinxter Active Member

Check engine light light came on for the first time ever in 24 years and 227k miles :( set a code 41. I have access to alldata, the diag flow chart is a bit confusing. If I follow it it tells me the PCM is bad. The field terminals nuts are rusty. Does any body know what I should have for voltage when the engine is running at the field terminals? I'm gonna have the alternator tested ASAP. Has anybody had to replace their PCM for this?

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The field feed wire should be within 1 volt of battery pos (+) voltage. The field return wire back to the PCM will vary in voltage depending on the load demands.
    If you ground the field return terminal to the body briefly, it will full-field the alternator and your should see 15 or more volts.
    It may be the alternator (brushes?), wiring or PCM? The voltage regulator is inside the PCM and serviced (if needed) as the assembly.

85lebaront2 likes this.
  3. phinxter

phinxter Active Member

Finally able to mess with it again. spent $.60 on some new nuts. Cleaned up the terminals and fired it up and its working again. Maybe it was just a bad connection due to corrosion or it's messing with me, waiting until I'm far from home to crap out again :)

4. Joshua T

Joshua T New Member

That's awesome!! Saved a lot of money and working 100% again. Rock on