Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

94 acclaim purchased

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by urr, Oct 16, 2017.

1. urr

urr Active Member

I'm sure a number of you have noticed my attempts at procuring another EEK in the last few months.Well,due to work and scheduling conflicts all those attempts have failed.That changed this past weekend.I purchased a 1994 Acclaim 3.0 3 spd automatic with 63k for $1400.

I originally was going to look at the car(which was roughly 2 1/2 hours away) on my birthday Oct 11th but me and the wife were running behind schedule and left late.The seller called us to see when we were going to arrive and when I gave him an eta he said he was not going to be home at the time me and my wife would have arrived there.My wife nearly fell out of the vehicle and said"a courteous craigslist seller.WOW."So we turned around and did some other stuff for my b-day(a used pistol purchase,jaimacan food and catching an oak snake in the house when we got home....a nice day)

So Saturday when I got off work I set up another appointment to look at the car.Me and the wife set out and got to the address he had texted us.The car was parked in a driveway,we pulled in and looked at it.Turned out it was parked at his assistants house.Which was across the street from his house.We talked to her a few minutes,I noticed a parking permit for a local college in the windshield and turned out she had been driving the car to classes.While this was going on the seller arrived......he had been on a test drive and sold a nissan sentra to a young couple.Okay.Looks like the guy has a car lot and sells the cheaper cars out of his home and puts the higher price cars on the lot.

I asked him about the car and he told me the car had set up for a few years and was donated to a charity .He bought it from the charity ,cleaned it up and did some fluid maintenance on it ,the ignition needed a tune up as it was probably original he said .The title paperwork supported this.I had him pop the hood and checked the fluids.Oil was good with a new filter,trans fluid was medium red,no crud in the radiator neck/cap underside.The engine was cold.He cranked the car and it started with no problems and there was no smoke from the tailpipe.We took it for a test drive and it shifted good ran smooth,brakes were smooth and not noisy or grabby,a/c was cold,coolant temp went up to 2/3 then dropped to 1/4 and settled in at 1/3 scale.The wife who is an import fan quietly asked me if the mileage on the odo was correct and how good were the engines in this type car.I told her that this car had a good engine/tranny combo.Halfway thru the drive she looked at me and silently mouthed "Buy it".So I did.

The drive back home was uneventful.Going thru Atlanta on Interstates 20 and 75 we reached speeds of ranging from 20mph to 80 mph then backroads at 55-65 mph.The car performed with no hiccupsThe a/c almost ran me out of the car,very cold.The factory stereo am/fm cassete worked although the speakers are kind of weak.I am apprehensive when buying cars (since there are so many dirtbags out there)but the drive reassured me somewhat.I just hope the time period sitting up caused no lasting issues.

I

JA Cumbo and valiant67 like this.
  2. urr

urr Active Member

3. urr

urr Active Member

4. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Very nice! Congrats!

Wish I never sold mine (had a '90 w/2.5L).

5. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

Love it. I am surprised that with a V6 it doesn't have power windows. But that is 1 less thing to break. Some folks don't like the 3.0, I do, in the Acclaim/spirit they make the cars alot quicker and almost sporty.
    The only thing I can of is to put some new ATF4 in the transmission and remember the timing belt needs to be changed by 100,000 miles but considering the age of the car you might want to do it now.

6. neon98rt

neon98rt Well-Known Member

my 3.0 has 160k on it with the same belt. I took a peek at it and it looks nice. Is 100k a rule like do they stretch or something else?

7. voiceofstl

I think you have been lucky. If the belt breaks it will wreck the whole engine. Almost every gearhead here on allpar will say change that belt.

8. urr

urr Active Member

A few more observations and questions....
    The windshield ,in addition to the college sticker had a local county school system parking permit from 2013.So the car was at least on the road that year.

The car had an oil change at a valvoline service center with 5w30.I ran 10w30 and 10w40 in my 2.2 and 2.5 fours,slants and 318's.This is my first mitsu-chrysler v6.What weight oil is the concensus here?

The trans fluid is a medium red.Usually when I buy a vehicle I do a pan drop,filter change and refill.Or I may just siphon pump out 2 quarts,refill and repeat again in a few months.

The factory radio is the Audiovox SPS am/fm/cassette .In my 86 pickup the SPS was a stepup from the plain jane base units,not as good as the infinity units.However this one the reception/pickup is kind of weak.The speakers are definitely low out put,not much bass or midrange.My old 90 Spirit out back has some upgraded speakers out of some junkyard Chryslers and and a late 80's Chrysler stereo that seemed to have better output IIRC.So that stuff may go into the Acclaim.I may have an old infinity unit in the junk room.

The guy said it needed an ignition tune up.What spark plug is favored?I was thinking about NGK V-power.Ordering some of those and wires,cap and rotor from RockAuto is in the future I think.

Also the suspension is pretty soft,my Spirit seemed to be a bit firmer.I prefer a bit more firmness than what is present.Any suggestions for upgrading?

BTW in an astonishing note....the cruise control works!!

9. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

The belt will break and it won’t damage anything. This version of the 3.0 is non-interference.

10. valiant67

Level III Supporter

In my experience, it’s been the water pump that goes before the timing belt.

11. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

As I recall the preferred viscosity was 5w-30 with 10w-30 as an option in the summer months depending on your local climate.

I used Autolite or Champion in mine. Yes, if unknown when the last tuneup I would replace cap, rotor and wires as well as the spark plugs.

The Acclaims had a slightly softer suspension than the Spirit did. I don't recall the difference in shocks/struts.

12. goair99

goair99 Active Member

Nice find! I love my '94 LeBaron with the 3.0. Enjoy the kick [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms] acceleration and that sweet sounding engine combined with the low intake growl is awesome! No shake rattle and roll from the 2.5...

13. valiant67

Level III Supporter

The best part is these cars offered the 3.0 with the 3 speed automatic. The 4 speed should have improved performance and economy. Instead it seemed to hamper performance and was hardly better on gas (and I'm ignoring any reliability issue with the 4 speed here).

14. urr

urr Active Member

The guy neglected to give me some of the tax paperwork on the car so I had to run back up there today.While talking to him he disclosed that when he had bought the car from the charity it had a full tank of gas.Probably3-4 years old,he did not think about it and drove the car with the old gas.At about 250 miles the car would not start and he ended up having the tank dropped ,cleaned,fuel pump and fuel filter replaced.So I don't have anything in that area to worry about... BONUS!

Doug D likes this.
  15. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Wow, I haven't seen the interior of one of those cars in awhile. Simple and it worked. Good find! I had the 2.5 but wanted the 3.0L Had one in my 2005 Voyager. It was a nice engine with plenty of power. Served me well. I never changed the belt or water pump, but I did have a bad head gasket, way later in years. Had over 135K miles on it when I gave it to my brother.

16. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Drop the trans pan and change the filter. Adjust the bands while your there. I had an Autolite plug freeze in a 2.5 engine [aluminum head]. Had better luck with the silver colored Champions. Use never-seize on the threads.

Nice find! And, it has a big back seat you can get into without wearing a helmet. One of Chryslers best efforts for a practical car at a reasonable price. 30 mpg highway with the 2.5 and 3 speed lock up trans.

17. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you're somewhere in FL, right? The reason I say so is because I would swear that is a car I just saw on the Orlando craigslist yesterday. Maybe the seller will remove the ad, now that you bought the car.

18. voiceofstl

I find the Spirit/acclaim a better car then the Avenger or the new 200. Ease of entry/exit, split bench seat with plenty of leg.knee room, Nice back seat and trunk and LARGE window so you can see where your going...no need for for backup camaras and blind side radar!

AvengerGuy and peterjon1 like this.
  19. urr

urr Active Member

I'm actually in central ga.The car came from the north part of Atlanta.So far the car is performing well.

I took a look at the speakers in the car and they are the base "oxford" speakers.I wonder if the Audiovox SPS stereo was dealer installed.In my D100 when the factory stereo died the dealer installed a SPS unit after the factory unit ate a Warren Zevon cassette and I complained rather loudly at the dealership.

20. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I'd have complained too, man. Warren Zevon is a favorite of mine. Nighttime in the Shipping Yard. And Lawyers, Guns and Money.