Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

94 acclaim v6 tune up ?

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by urr, Nov 28, 2017.

1. urr

urr Active Member

I am in the process of updating my Acclaim.So far I have done a pan drop and fluid/filter replace on the tranny
    Air filter,(old filter was the color of an old paperback book)distributor cap/rotor (standard blue streak) replacement(which got rid of a slight skip).Oil and filter change(smitty's custom 5w30/10w30 synthetic blend and a havoline t35 filter).

I have a set of new NGK v power plugs and a set of new premium wires ready to install.The question I have is :how the devil do I get to the rear bank of plugs?All the stuff I find on the net is for tune up on minivans.From the way the engine on the car is setup it looks like I need to remove the airbox to access that area. Is that correct.I am hoping some one can tell me an easy way to do this.

I slipped a disc in my back two weeks ago and really am not looking forward to leaning over the engine for an extended time.So I may end up taking the car to my mechanic.

any advice people?

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I only had the 4 cylinder engines in my Acclaims. When it came time to change the plugs in my '00 T&C Ltd 3.8L AWD, I surrendered it to my local mechanic. It was well worth it. Especially if you have back problems.

If you think those 3 plugs are bad though, try changing 16 plugs on a Hemi. Hehehehehehe........:eek:

3. urr

urr Active Member

LOL.Thanks Doug.
    All the vids I watched were rather discouraging.I think once in a while during an automotive development project an engineer should be taken out of the office and either be forced to work on their creation or be beaten for idiocy whichever one would be more of a warning to the rest of the engineering team....

4. Doug D

Unfortunately, most vehicles today are designed for ease of assembly and not necessarily ease of service.

5. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

That's not how it works in the engineering world. Two causes for these difficulties are:
    1) Groups don't, or more likely, are discouraged from communicating with each other, and work on their own schedules that define the product.
    2) Management steps in and ruins a design that the engineers had right all along.

urr and Doug D like this.
  6. gminnebo

gminnebo Active Member

yes, remove the air cleaner box (two bolts on the intake plenum), plugs are pretty easy to get to after that, you might have a little trouble with the one closest to the alternator.

good luck.

7. urr

urr Active Member

thanks .I will give it a shot.If I can do it it will save me 75-85 dollars or so.

8. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

And #3
    Marketing decides to shove a V6 in a platform designed for a 4 cylinder.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  9. manybrews

manybrews Active Member

Access to the rear bank is incredibly easy. It involves removal of the airbox. Thats it.

10. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

I have always used "factory" plugs. I have heard many times that so called expensive performance plugs are not always better.

Doug D likes this.
  11. Doug D

Amen. I pretty much use OEM or equivalent. I'm not about to shell out $5-$10 per plug for E3's or whatever.