Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

94 G Caravan, DRB port

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by KOG, Nov 27, 2017.

1. KOG

KOG KOG
    Level 2 Supporter

I used to seeing these under dash, didn't find one there. FSM say near left front shock tower. Haven't found anything there under hood. Any idea where this thing is?

2. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Not sure about the 94 as I never owned one, but on both 99's I had, they were under the dash near the steering column. You might have to remove one of the lower plastic covers in order to find it.

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

1994 is OBDI and should have two connections, one under the dash for most other functions and one under the hood to access the engine computer. The one under the hood is small and not well marked. It’s been years, but I thought it was by the firewall under hood.

5. KOG

KOG KOG
    Level 2 Supporter

Yep, found it. I was looking for a DRBll type and didn't recognize the 4 pin in a 6 slot connector as DRB. Unfortunately it's still not setting any codes. About an hour and a half ago it was running perfectly after idling for 45 minutes running 3M intake cleaner through it. After it cooled down it's once again acting like it's not getting enough fuel, popping, spitting, and dying when throttle is opened.

6. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Is the spark plug tip color black (fouled/rich)?
    Are they the correct Champions?
    OBD1 didn't have misfire codes.

7. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Thats exactly what my Durango did when the MAP sensor failed.

8. KOG

KOG KOG
    Level 2 Supporter

I'll be swapping the MAP next. I've got parts cars and spare parts for everything on these engines. Haven't looked at a plug lately, but it acts more like it's running our of fuel (lean) than rich. Spraying GumOut carb cleaner into it smooths it right out which also confirms that it's a lean problem.

9. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Have you done any diagnostics to confirm the MAP sensor is bad?
    There may well be a vacuum leak which is causing it to run lean, and the carb cleaner corrects the mixture.

I would check all vacuum hoses and rigid tubes, and all bolts associated with the throttle body and manifold for tightness, and around the manifold, for leaks.

10. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Check the EGR (if equipped) for leakage. This would have similar symptoms to a lean mixture.
    The vacuum diaphragm may hold vacuum OK, but the transducer can apply vacuum at idle, which it shouldn't.
    I have also seen the valve pintle missing which would give constant EGR. It wouldn't matter if the stem were held open as a test or not.

11. KOG

KOG KOG
    Level 2 Supporter

What's weird is that after running the intake cleaner for about thirty minutes the engine continued to run perfectly for about another 45 minutes after the cleaner was finished. Then after being off for another hour or so and cooling down it's back to the same problem. At this point it's had crank and cam sensors (initially had no spark), coil pack, ECM done maybe a year ago and this time new injectors.
    EGR is always a possibility, but why that would work following intake cleaner and then fail again is a good question. Of course, why anything would work following intake cleaner and then fail again is a question.

12. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Active Member

I was told to remove the MAP sensor before before cleaning the upper intake manifold because the cleaners could damage the MAP sensor.

13. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Active Member

The OBD 1 data port is a 6 pin connector that only has 4 connectors and is located near the battery and the drivers side shock tower. The transmission data connector is located under the dashboard near the steering column, but only if you have the 4 speed transmission.

14. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

The under dash connection also is used for ABS computer, air bag computer, and body computer access as well as the TCM.

15. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The airbag control module diagnostic connector uses the same DRB body connector plugged into the airbag module itself. The module is located at the front of the center dash and bolted to the floor.

16. KOG

KOG KOG
    Level 2 Supporter

There is no airbag module in mine, removed long ago. Ann is one of the people who are short enough to sit too close to the steering wheel, wears glasses, and airbags cause more damage than they prevent. And, as we ALWAYS wear seat belts, airbags are of very limited value anyway.