Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

94 Ram 1500 tail light grounds

Discussion in 'Ram, pickups, commercial trucks' started by kzooman83, Jul 11, 2017.

1. kzooman83

kzooman83 Active Member

Does anyone know where the tail light grounds are located on a '94 1500? I am having some issues with the rear lighting that point to a grounding issue, but I can't seem to locate any grounds back there except for the one for the trailer wiring (not presently hooked up). I followed the harness along the frame and I could not find any grounds until I reached the engine bay.

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

They should have dedicated ground wires from the lamps forward.

3. kzooman83

kzooman83 Active Member

Thanks for the reply. I found the ground wires where they leave the lamp sockets and go into the rear wiring harness, but I am having trouble finding where the ground wires terminate without opening up the harness and tracing them. I may end up having to do just that, however. I guess I could always splice in new grounds and run them to the frame or body toward the rear of the truck to avoid opening the harness, but I would prefer to just repair the existing grounds if I can.

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

A useable 1994 BR service manual is here. 8W is the wiring diagrams chapter. Ground locations are shown on p. 8W-9 (fig. 14). Rear lamp wiring is shown on p. 8W-160 (sheet BR 112) and 161 (sheet BR 113). The main ground joint is shown on p. 8W-163 (sheet BR 114).
    The rear lamps go to a frame ground. Since the cab and bed are mounted to the frame on rubber bushings, all grounds are important. There may be intermediate splices and connectors along the ground path that could offer a poor connection.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0EBfg4XPCD1S1FvU1lNSXJMYlk/view

5. kzooman83

kzooman83 Active Member

Thanks for the reply and the link. Those schematics are much more in depth than the ones I have, and I was able to find the problem using them. The splice where the fuel pump ground joins the rear lighting ground had corroded and then melted somehow, burning the insulation on a few of the surrounding wires as well. I will be replacing the damaged wires this week and hopefully will have it all buttoned up by this weekend.

ImperialCrown, Bob Lincoln and Doug D like this.
  6. kzooman83

kzooman83 Active Member

I finished repairing the harness today and put it back up in place; all my lighting and fuel pump circuits seem to be functioning normally now. Thanks again for the schematics!

wtxiceman and Doug D like this.