AF: 95 intrepid starter issue | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

95 intrepid starter issue

Discussion in 'LH: Large Cars, 1993-2004' started by Redtail, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Redtail

Redtail Member

Hello, I looking for suggestion where to look next. The starter spin slow, and when I turn the key again I hear click. Follow what the service manual checking voltages, check starter relay. I end up pulling the starter. Again I follow the manual for checking solenoid, and starter, and it pass. Plus I tested start by putting 12 volts manually to the solenoid and starter motor. They both worked. So I put the start back in, and I getting the same thing. Hear the clicking of the solenoid.

I also check the continuity of wires coming to the starter, which was good, I am getting 12 volts to the starter. Check the battery, and it good. It is the original starter, and the car has roughly 130000
    on the starter.

Not sure where to go next,

thanks

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

How did you determine the battery is good?

Check the battery voltage with engine off and at idle. Then check the voltage WHILE someone is cranking the starter. This can tell you if the starter is drawing excessive current, or too little.

ka9yhd likes this.
  3. Redtail

Redtail Member

Well the battery is only couple years old. I did check with a meter, but I can't check it after cranking since I get it to crank. I also through charger on the battery, and set it use to 80A to give it boosts to see if that would help.

4. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Measuring a battery with no load on it tells you almost nothing. It can read normal, but with a load it can plummet if it has no ampacity left. You need to do this: Charge the battery at a 6A rate (80A rate is destructive, shortens the life dramatically). When fully charged, let it sit an hour and then measure with no load. Should be about 12.6V. Then turn the headlights on with engine off and measure every 5 minutes for at least 15 minutes. Should not drop below 12.0 volts. If it does, battery is no good.

5. Redtail

Redtail Member

Just let you know I didn't keep on 80a, very just long just long enough to get from the front of car to the driver seat to test it. I did test with it after the light for minute, and still got the same results. Since I can not crank, test any voltage drop.

If for moment if we assume the battery good, where look next.

thanks

6. valiant67

valiant67 ...

If it's not the battery (I'm not covinced you've proved the battery is good) then it's the starter most likely. Or a corroded wiring connection.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  7. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The LH cars have the jump start 'stud and nut' terminals for the battery cables. One on the shock tower (-) and one up front (+). I have removed and reinstalled these to clean corrosion and secure a good connection. I have also found them loose before.

8. Redtail

Redtail Member

Thanks for the suggestions. This weekend, I will look over everything again. Question, can the ignition the module cause the same effect?

9. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

If the starter is spinning slowly, it is an electrical system problem (high resistance?) and not the PCM.
    The PCM can keep the starter relay completely off if it senses an unsafe starting condition. This would be a no-crank condition.
    Any aftermarket alarm, security or remote start system installed on this vehicle?

10. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Load test needs to be done on a fully-charged battery.

ka9yhd likes this.
  11. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Well-Known Member

I have seen batteries last 1 year to 10 years. Load test the battery. If the battery checks out ok then check all connections that they are clean and tight. Then I would get the starter checked by a rebuild shop.

12. Redtail

Redtail Member

Hello Everyone,

I have recheck everything, and today I pull out the starter again. This time when checking the solenoid and motor the solenoid fail. If I tap few times on the solenoid it will work. My new question is since it is the original starter is better to keep the original motor, and replace the solenoid, or replace the whole thing?

Thanks!

13. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Well-Known Member

I prefer getting my own stuff rebuilt. This way I know what the condition of it was before being rebuilt.
    A friend had gone through three rebuilt carburetors until he got one that worked properly. And my brother recently replaced a starter with a rebuilt one from an auto parts store only to replace it again because it did not work.

14. Redtail

Redtail Member

Hello,

it been few weeks now, and I bought new starter. Finally had time to install it, and I still having same issue. If I turn the key for starting nothing happens. With the starter installed and hook up, I can short the leads on the starter to the solenoid, and the car start right up. Again, I check the continuity from the wire from the solenoid to relay, and I have continuity. I wondering if the problem lie within ignition switch.

any suggestion.

thanks ahead for time.

15. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Checking for continuity with an ohmmeter is not revealing. Connect a voltmeter across the heavy positive cable between starter and battery, and have someone crank engine while you read the voltage. Should be near zero, or less than about 0.2 volts. If more, there is a connection or resistance problem in the cable or at the terminals at either end.

16. Redtail

Redtail Member

Attached Files:

17. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

A voltage drop measurement is a much more effective test for high-current draw items like a starter than an ohmmeter test is.
    For instance, a piece of wire the thickness of a human hair can read 0.1 Ω, but it could never handle the amperage required to turn a starter motor. Ohms would be an invalid test.
    For example, a voltage drop of 5 volts in a 12 volt circuit would mean that the starter was only getting 7 volts.
    You may be having the PCM not recognizing that the car is in Park or Neutral to allow the starter relay to energize?
    The PCM will withhold ground from the starter relay for safety reasons if it can't see the gear selector position.
    Will the car crank over if you ground the starter relay coil?