Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

96 Dakota 5.2 won't run right

Discussion in 'Dakota, 1998-2013 Durango and Aspen' started by 96Dodge4x4, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Virtually all of that is gasoline residue, not oil. I would not worry about a leak. But it could use a good spray of throttle cleaner, and that's best done just before the plugs are changed, so that you don't foul new plugs with the crap that gets loosened and blown through.

2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

You may still have a leak there - or there could be a vacuum leak somewhere else. Your symptoms really sound like a vacuum leak to me.

3. 96Dodge4x4

96Dodge4x4 New Member

Do you think maybe when the engine warms up the gasket starts leaking? Do you know of other places where a vacuum leak would of occur? Is there another way to check the plenum or an easy way to check a vacuum leak? I read something about putting a piece of paper over the oil fill hole and seeing which way it moves

4. valiant67

Level III Supporter

When the engine is cold, the mixture is richer. This can hide a vacuum leak until the mixture leans out as it warms up.

There is another way to check for the plenum leak. Let me see if I can find it.

5. valiant67

Level III Supporter

Look at the second post in this thread on my oil use:
    1999 Dodge Dakota oil useage
    ImperialCrown does a good job of describing the test.

6. valiant67

Level III Supporter

7. 96Dodge4x4

96Dodge4x4 New Member

Thanks I will try it out after getting the throttle body back on since I cleaned that out. A quick question with that is when I took it off there was no gasket, should I put one on? because I know the auto parts store has one.

8. 96Dodge4x4

96Dodge4x4 New Member

Went ahead and put a gasket on the TB and cleaned that and what I could get in the intake. The truck ran much better as in rough idle and stayed that way until it started "bouncing" again after running for 45mins-1hr. Tried the pcv and it felt kinda like it was sucking in but it wasn't very strong at all if it was. How strong of a pull would it be if the gasket was blown? Plan on changing the plugs tomorrow to chanpions