Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

96 Jeep won't idle in really cold weather.

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by MarkT, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

I had a 1999 Dakota V6, 5 speed.

My family used the thing to blow up air mattresses (12v plug in blower). They did not start the truck up first. I went to go start it, and it would not start at first. After a bit, it would start, But it would not idle. I was able to get it back to the dealer (warranty), and they said that the Idle Motor had been damaged by the low battery voltage. They replaced the battery and the motor under warranty (God I miss Good dealers).

Mebbe you are right. Mebbe the ideal motor is on the edge.

2. Frank Swygert

Frank Swygert New Member

If it cranks fine in that cold weather it's not the battery. You haven't mentioned slow cranking, just poor idle, so the battery should be good. I suspect the IAC might be malfunctioning -- could be sticking in that cold weather. Cleaning may help. but it might need replacing. You're already replacing the PCV system tube, which would have been my next suggestion. I'm running a 1988 Renix system which is similar -- just not the easy to read self diagnostics. Don't have the bitter cold you have down here in SC, though it's been in the teens at night the last few days.

Doug D likes this.
  3. LordHobbit

LordHobbit Active Member

If you haven't already, remove the throttle body and clean it with carb or throttle body cleaner. Include cleaning the IAC. Get a can of CCC (combustion chamber cleaner) from the Mopar dealer and follow the directions after reinstalling the throttle body. Make sure the engine is at a running temperature before you use the CCC. If you're idle doesn't improve with that, suspect the IAC. Use only genuine Mopar parts.