Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'96 Neon Torque Damper (A.K.A. Torque Rod) Rubber Bushing

Discussion in 'Neon' started by Jason_MKG, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Jason_MKG

Jason_MKG New Member

I have a question about my '96 Neon with the 2.0 litre DOHC. I just finished re-building the entire top end of the engine, complete with new timing belt, water pump, head, valves, etc. I also replaced the torque damper (rear engine mount.) While the engine is running flawlessly now, it used to leak oil out of the back of the head near #s 3 and 4, just where just about all of them leaked. This resulted in spilling oil on top of the torque damper, rendering the rubber bushing (which sits under the mounting nut/washer) complete rubber mush.

The new, true OEM Mopar replacement only came with the mounting nut and nothing else. My question to the forum is, where can I find this rubber bushing? For now, just to get the thing mounted, I stuck a couple of shock mount bushings below and on top of the TOP mounting bracket, torqued the nut down, and done. The problem is, this has seemingly caused a perfect coupling if you will, between the engine and the body, causing all of the engine vibrations to be transferred to the body. As you can imagine, it is now a pretty loud ride. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have not found a single parts store or outlet that carries a, "torque rod/damper busing kit" anywhere. If I need to fabricate something, (which I'm willing and able to do), what kind of rubber/bushing should I use in order to absorb the excess vibration and make a good, isolated coupling?

Thank you in advance for your help!

2. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

If I was in your situation, I'd go to the closest auto parts store and just ask if they have that torque rod. If so, ask them to pull one and let you take a look at it. If it has the bushings in it, buy it and take the Mopar one back to where you got it.

3. Jason_MKG

Jason_MKG New Member

Thank you for the suggestion, but everywhere I look, they only show a picture of the rod itself and no bushing. Talk about frustrating!

4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I assume this is a manual transmission car as I think those are the only ones with the rear mount.
    If so, google for bobble strut neon and you'll get some hits.

5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Rick Anderson likes this.
  6. Jason_MKG

Jason_MKG New Member

Voila! I found it! Thank you so much, you guys! You've been a great help!!

ImperialCrown likes this.
  7. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

I'm sure the oil bath helped to breakdown the bushing, but I think the biggest cause of the bushing going bad is simply the stress its put under causes it to slowly chew up the bushing.

The other bushings / engine mounts softening up or tear also contribute to more engine motion, tearing up the bushings as well.

The manual trans neons are notorious for tearing up the front motor mount (FMM), well all engine mounts/bobble strut, just the FMM goes first, especially if you drive it spiritedly. If you have replaced all the motor mounts on the neon, you may tear up the new bushings and bobble strut again fairly quickly. Some folks fill the front motor mount with Windshield Urethane, it not only keeps it from tearing, but controls the engine torque reaction much better and results in better traction pulling out from a stop as well. The wheel hop is caused by the torque reaction of the transaxle, control the transaxle torque reaction better, and wheel hop comes on later and not as bad, meaning you can apply more power to pull out from a stop.

But filling engine mounts will increase the NVH, just the FMM will probably be barely noticeable. When I did it on my '99 Neon R/T, the only thing I noticed was the slightest vibe in the steering while the vehicle was stopped and the engine was idling, maybe on start up as the engine kicked over it vibed for a second.

8. Jason_MKG

Jason_MKG New Member

------Thank you, Rick! I use this car strictly as a commuter car for about 70 miles a day and the great gas mileage sure helps! So as far as racing it? Nah! I don't want to tear it up. It's been mine for 20 years now. I might consider filling the front mount with windshield urethane though, just to dampen some of the wheel hop off the starting line, but for the most part, especially since my partial engine build, I really baby this thing. ... Saves on gas and wear. :)

BUT speaking of engine mounts, are there any aftermarket mount inserts that actually reduce vibration more than that of the OEM mounts? Maybe liquid mounts? If so, where might be a good source for these? I sure appreciate all your help with this!

9. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

1st Gen Neons have been out of production a long time, at one time there were all sorts of different aftermarket engine mount products for Neons. I don't know how many are still on the market.

Liquid filled engine mounts, never heard of one for 1st Gen Neons. Usually liquid filled mounts are for softer use and not firmer. There were inserts to go into the stock mount voids. There was a Mopar Performance Front Motor Mount, which I got and filled with Windshield Urethane. There were also solid FMM and solid Bobble Struts, I got a solid bobble strut, that came with very large and soft urethane bushings, which seemed to firm up the axle rock and launch with very little penalty on NVH.

You can get more than solid enough motor mounts by simply getting new ones and filling them with windshield urethane. Or filling old motor mounts with urethane was a way to bring them back to life a bit, not a good way, but its worked somewhat. The bobble strut, like any shock wears out, don't know if you can find an aftermarket solid one anymore. Perhaps Howellautomotive.com they were a huge performance aftermarket neon supplier back in the day.