Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

97 DG Caravan ES Headlights : Lens and output

Discussion in 'Minivans · Pacifica' started by Aldergrove, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Aldergrove

Aldergrove Active Member

I needed to replace my headlight assembly as there was internal damage to one side and they could not be aimed.
    I have had several GEN 3 minivans and they all seem to have low light output.

My headlight assemblies came equipped with a bubble level. Difficult to aim!

I didn't realize that the used pair I got from the bone yard were NOT equipped with the bubble device in the pouring rain. Also my originals which had them also had a plastic dowel at the edge designed to go into the fender. The replacements were without the plastic dowels but had plastic flat tabs and NO buble level fine adjustments.

All I wanted is better illumination...

Should I return these for another identical to my OEM headlight assemblies,,,, or does it really matter.
    I plan on polishing the lenses to remove the plastic haze.

Your thoughts?
    When I got home I installed the light assembly. IT was then that I noticed there was NO

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Insufficient headlamps were somewhat of a criticism in this generation of minivan. The optional fog lamps did help overall light output. The ultimate NS-body headlamp was on the '98-'00 Town & Country Limited model, but that upgrade may require a front fascia change from a Limited, if you can find one.
    I have stopped trying to polish and restore 20 year old plastic headlamps. Even after the yellowed lens is clear, the deterioration of the reflector and remaining opaque haze of the lenses are no longer worth the effort IMHO.
    Prices of brand new OEM headlamps have come down significantly in recent years. I have been happy with the replacements that I have purchased from the internet.

Doug D likes this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I was going to mention exactly what IC said. The Town & Country used quad headlights with separate turn signals do it does require a fascia change. Even when brand new the Dodge and Plymouth vans were criticized for poor lights. I had a 99 Town and Country and the lights were good.

Doug D and ImperialCrown like this.
  4. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I had a '00 T&C Ltd with the quad headlights and foglamps. The headlight coverage was good until they too began to haze over.

5. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Active Member

On my 92 Plymouth Grand Voyager I have buffed out the headlamps and yes they look a lot better but they are still yellowed on the inside.
    I am in the process of installing a headlamp wiring kit with 14 ga. wire to get the full voltage to the lamps and purchasing new OEM headlamp housings.

Also when buffing out the lens your removing any UV coating and the lens will cloud up quicker. Then you will need to keep buffing them out maybe every 6 months.

valiant67 likes this.
  6. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Or use the kits that reapply the UV coating. That's what I did instead of polishing the lenses every 6 months. The new coating kept the lenses clear for years.

ka9yhd and Doug D like this.