Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

99 Durango no start issue

Discussion in 'Dakota, 1998-2013 Durango and Aspen' started by Big Ben, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Big Ben

Big Ben New Member

I have 99 Dodge Durango slt 5.2L v-8. I have crank no start issue.The electrical connection to the ignition coil is not getting power to it. Checked line its good. The ASD is part of problem. Also No fuel pump, no radio. I ran jumper wire in fuse box to jump ASD. Got power to ignition coil and still no spark. Problem started when prior owner changed ignition due to alarm. There is no key fab. Also the pcm has been changed several times with good pcm and each one once connected says no bus. Everything is new from distributor, cap, roter, plugs, wires, sensors, coil, battery, pcm and other things. The dash wiring harness was all so replaced with one from wrecker, why I dont no. Some seem to think that is where problem is at. Please help before I just burn truck to the ground.

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. What fault codes are you getting from the PCM (if any)? Does the odometer display 'n0 bu5'?
    Do you have the 5 volt sensor power supply (Vt/Wt wire) from the PCM to the sensors?
    The crankshaft position sensor is responsible for the spark signal. If a sensor power supply line is shorted to ground, it will put the PCM into 'protection' and cause a 'crank, but no-start' situation. A new PCM won't fix that.
    Swapping PCMs and wire harnesses between vehicles is risky. Differences in options may cause a part not to work correctly in another application. Sometimes I have had to undo previous parts-bombs and begin from an appropriate starting point in order to diagnose an issue. Diagnosis first.
    Does your truck have the factory security system (VTSS) and does the instrument cluster work correctly?

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

If the truck was not originally equipped with VTSS and someone installed a PCM with the VTSS feature enabled, then that could cause a crank, start, stall situation. Is the red VTSS indicator on the dash lit?
    Once enabled, there is no way to disable the factory alarm feature. Only if the truck came from the factory with VTSS would a new PCM or CTM learn that it has VTSS. It can't be 'unlearned' in the field.
    Without the bus being operational, it likely won't allow a start. That issue should be looked into first.
    If it can crank, then it must know that it is in Park or Neutral.
    Do you have access to an advanced scan tool and can the scan tool communicate with the PCM and/or cluster?
    The 1998 DN service information is here:
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Service Manuals/1998_DN_Durango/
    Chapter 8W (wiring) shows the harness and connector locations in 8W-90.
    8W-30 is fuel/ignition system wiring.
    The VTSS is covered in chapter 8Q and on 8W-39.
    The right-side dash mounted CTM (central timer module) is similar to a body control module and must be on the bus. If someone changed the dash wiring, did they change this too? The CTM must be the correct one for the truck. It is covered in 8W-45. You will see the communication bus wiring on 8W-45-3.

4. Big Ben

Big Ben New Member

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! BEST WISHES FOR 2017! UPDATE: Was able to stop the alarm from going off every time the door was opened. Done with the key in the door and turning the lock. The security light does not flash in the instrument panel and the only time it is seen is when the ignition is turned as if to start. It comes on with the rest of the instrument lights and goes out as well. Used to hear horn and now for some time horn did not sound with alarm going off. Odd,. Yes the truck came with the VTTS and the CTM is intact and it is the high end model. The "no bus" does show in the odometer and the instrument does work. I do not know what codes if any because the data link does not work. It did but hasn't since all of this. I assume the bus is operational thru this. I do not have a advanced scan tool or the DRB mentioned in the manual. Do you know where I may gain access to one? How do I get Bus operational?

ImperialCrown likes this.
  5. Big Ben

Big Ben New Member

Update. I attempted to enter the truck this afternoon and the alarm went off again, so whatever happen last night for it to shut off is really odd. So back to square one.

6. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Does any scan tool or OBD2 engine code reader power up at the diagnostic connector? It should have fused 12v power @ pin 16 and a good ground @ pin 4.
    dlc-data-link-connector.png
    The tool should still display the Home screen even if the bus is down.
    See p. 8W-45-3 for bus wiring and terminations. All bus wiring should be a Vt/Br and Wt/Bk twisted-pair that travels between the various modules. I believe that you should read 2.5v to ground from either bus wire with the key-on.
    A DRBIII (or equivalent) would be useful for diagnosis if you can get the underdash diagnostic connector fixed.

7. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The door key cylinder switches can get crusty and corrode after a few years. Try the one on the passenger door?
    The VTSS dash light is behaving wrong. It would be good to see fault codes.
    If you can, use the tests on p. 30 here for the bus.
    The 'cranks, but doesn't start' test is on p. 196.
    The Dakota and Durango were electrically similar, but not exactly the same. This book is for a 2000 Dakota and may help:
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/..._Powertrain_Diagnostic_Procedures/ER1_PWR.PDF
    Most of the diagnostic tests between models were similar. Wire colors were also, for the most part.