Allpar Forums banner

99 LHS Coolant leak

4K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  movinyou 
#1 ·
Hello again my friends, my poor old 99 LHS has a coolant leak I cant find. All the hoses have been replaced, so has the radiator and somewhere from the back area of the block I am loosing coolant. Is there some thing in all those cooling tubes I might be missing? The old girl is pushing 396,000 and not ready for retirement yet. Any suggestions please?

#2 ·
#3 ·
I have replaced everything back there. About 2 weeks ago I did pull the cowl and replaced everything back there 'cause I had to back flush the heater core. I'm wondering if that "o" ring on the heater supply tube has given up. after 18 years (build date july, 97) and almost 400,000 miles, it might be due. Possibility?

#4 ·
Can you pressure test the cooling system while looking for the coolant leak source? You may have to pull the cowl components out of the way again. The o-ring should be a standard size that you can match up at a hardware store, if needed?

#6 ·
Just to let everyone know, the leak I was chasing turned out to be from a hole in the new hose where NAPA or it's supplier had put it's little plastic string hook through the hose an inch and a half from the end, to far for it to be over the nipple. So, after a few cycles, the coolant found the hole and it started to expand from there. My suggestion to everyone is if that little hose hook is more than 3/4 inch from the end, get another one. Everyone have a great New Year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.