Allpar Forums banner

'99 LHS Power mirrors on vacation

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  movinyou 
#1 ·
Hello all. I tried to adapt a power mirror from a '2000 300M. While trying to change the wiring over as the door plugs weren't the same, and accidentally arced a wire. now, both mirrors are dead. There is no power to the switch and have checked fuses 14 and 19 per the wiring diagram. Am I missing something somewhere? Every other accessory still works so, at this point I am clueless. ANY iDEAS PLEASE?

#2 ·
There is no 12v power at the Pink wire from fuse # 19 to ground? The door itself may not be a good ground, try the body.
Time to back track the wiring. Is there 12v at the fuse itself?
Did it arc bad enough to blow Fuse letter I in the PDC under the hood that feeds fuse 19?

#3 ·
Checked it out and fuse 19 also runs the dome lights and I have 13.5 v there. Fuse I is a 30 amp fuse for the brake lights among other things and it is ok as well. For the moment, have just had surgery, I can't poke to deep into the harness (can't move my neck too much). Any other simple ideas I can mess with? And, thanks again

#4 ·
Yeah, definitely take it easy and heal up first. If the fuse 19 didn't blow from the momentary short, then a 'weak spot' like a splice or connector may have been 'opened' in the harness between the fuse and switch connector instead?
The 1998-2004 2nd gen LH wiring diagrams should be close enough to be usable, even with the mirror connector change. Do wiring colors make sense with the mirrors you now have?
Usually when connector keyways or configurations are changed between similar models, it is to prevent inadvertent use because of some difference or incompatibility. This doesn't mean that they can't be modified and used, but you must understand what may be different about them.
Are the replacement mirrors from an LHS/300m or high-line Concorde? The low-line vehicles wouldn't have heated or memory functions.
If the heated/memory mirror module was damaged, I would think that you should still have the power mirror directional controls working.

#5 ·
Do your power seats work? What about the heated seat function? And the memory seat function?
If any are bad, it's possible the power memory module (under the driver's seat) sustained damage.
I believe they are fed off the same module, without consulting my electronic FSM copy.

#6 ·
The mirror I got was from a high line 300m. The wire colors are different but, there are the same number of wires. The seat heater and all functions work to include memory .Using my old mirror as a guinea pig, I did figure out how to swap harnesses between mirrors. If, I can get them to work. I'll have to take a breather for the moment until I heal some more. Thanks for the ideas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.