AF: 99 LHS Steering rack confusion | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

99 LHS Steering rack confusion

Discussion in 'LH: Large Cars, 1993-2004' started by movinyou, Sep 14, 2020 at 3:21 PM.

1. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Hello all, For a while on my LHS, I have had difficulty with the boost on left turns only. It isn't all the time. I replaced the pump, flushed the system and refilled w/ATF +4 with no change. I have always wondered if the solenoid valve on the rack isn't screwing with me but, I'll be damned if you can find a replacement. Anybody have any clues?

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Does this have the speed-sensitive steering?
    I would replace the rack with a reman assembly. Check the inner tie-rod rubber bushings for deterioration and set toe-in.

3. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

I am unsure if you can still get the speed-sensitive racks, but if you're talking about solenoid valves on the rack, it must, as the standard and Special racks (have the latter on my 99) are not speed-sensitive.
    In all my years yard picking, I never even bothered to look for one of those, as I imagine it'd need a wiring harness or something to plug in that I do not have on my non-speed-sensitive car. I wonder if unplugging it would potentially resolve?

Otherwise, there could be binding in struts, and in the bushings for tie rod ends, but if it *ONLY* happens on one type of turn and only at low speeds (when the boost is supposed to be higher, I believe, and wouldn't be if your solenoid is stuck), then that may be the culprit.

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter