AF: 99 LHS Steering rack confusion | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

99 LHS Steering rack confusion

Discussion in 'LH: Large Cars, 1993-2004' started by movinyou, Sep 14, 2020.

1. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Hello all, For a while on my LHS, I have had difficulty with the boost on left turns only. It isn't all the time. I replaced the pump, flushed the system and refilled w/ATF +4 with no change. I have always wondered if the solenoid valve on the rack isn't screwing with me but, I'll be damned if you can find a replacement. Anybody have any clues?

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Does this have the speed-sensitive steering?
    I would replace the rack with a reman assembly. Check the inner tie-rod rubber bushings for deterioration and set toe-in.

3. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

I am unsure if you can still get the speed-sensitive racks, but if you're talking about solenoid valves on the rack, it must, as the standard and Special racks (have the latter on my 99) are not speed-sensitive.
    In all my years yard picking, I never even bothered to look for one of those, as I imagine it'd need a wiring harness or something to plug in that I do not have on my non-speed-sensitive car. I wonder if unplugging it would potentially resolve?

Otherwise, there could be binding in struts, and in the bushings for tie rod ends, but if it *ONLY* happens on one type of turn and only at low speeds (when the boost is supposed to be higher, I believe, and wouldn't be if your solenoid is stuck), then that may be the culprit.

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

5. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

It is sales code SBC. Having been an old Chrysler parts guy, the first thing I did after I got the car is get a print out of the VIN. As for the other items, the bushings on the inner tie rod ends are new, the struts have less than 30,000 on them and all have been replaced after this issue began. I haven't unplugged the solenoid for fear of tripping a code. Hence the question of whether it is driven by the ECM or the BCM. And, believe it or not, I really don't want to pull the rack because after 22 years and 430,000 miles it still doesn't leak. (shoulda kept my mouth shut). I have noticed that on non-SBC racks there is a mounting plate over the hole where it mounts on the rack. Is this a viable option?

6. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

No plate, just no hole drilled at all there. I assume that the part causing you issues is the solenoid that screws in here, which doesn't look like it's on the reman racks for speed-sensitive steering.

If I were you I'd unplug and see if it throws a code, then you'd know if you can just put a base rack from a junkyard car in, or find a rack on eBay shipped cheap.

7. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

Base / Special racks look like this one (I have two in my basement)

Attached Files:

8. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

What else you got hid in your basement? A still or the elephantman perhaps? I'll pull the plug this afternoon and see what happens.

9. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

No still, just a conical fermenter for beer :D
    And a fascia for a Special M, that I still haven't repaired for use or resale. So I guess unobtanium. :D

10. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Going to pull the plug after I complete the next task that has popped up. See next post