Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Few Off-Road Videos in my Patriot

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by link3721, Nov 18, 2016.

1. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

Had an excursion back in September. Parents let me use their GoPro (now on my Christmas list). Pretty sure I'm in the 0.0001% that uses their Patriot like this. First 3 are some rocky areas, last two are a mud hole (one bumper view, one outer view. The red GC is my parents'.

RonGD likes this.
  2. link3721

Level 2 Supporter

Mud hole runs

Rick Anderson and RonGD like this.
  3. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

I didn't get to watch the videos yet, but have wondered how a patriot would go. Thanks for sharing. Will check it out once I get some extended downtime. Thanks and keep getting out there and enjoying your Jeep and the great outdoors

4. link3721

Level 2 Supporter

My Patriot isn't "trail rated" but I added the skid plates, tow hooks and oil cooler. I've also got a 2" spring lift and a winch bumper (winch is in the garage waiting to get installed). BFG all terrains are also due soon.

RonGD likes this.
  5. Stomper

Stomper Well-Known Member

Very nice!!

6. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

7. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

Good and Bad, I'm sure Wrangler die hards would tell you that's nothing. But, I don't think any other vehicle the price of a Patriot could do the same thing as you just did off-road. So it is truly best in class.

Oh, lift, especially with independent suspension, often just trades jounce for rebound. It does give more ground clearance which is more off-road ability. BUT, the most capability is gained from total suspension travel increase. i.e. you may have lifted the vehicle 2", that gives the suspension the ability for the wheels to go up 2" more, but they can only go down 2" less, for a total of the same as before the lift.

RonGD likes this.
  8. link3721

Level 2 Supporter

I know it wasn't terribly difficult, but I also didn't want to try anything much harder before I got my new tires and winch installed (both now installed!). When the trails open again in the spring in going to give the harder trails a try.

Fortunately I know the IS limitations and avoiding dragging the belly is worth the trade-off. I also put sway bar disconnects on as well to help with wheel travel. I did make sure to do a spring lift instead of pucks so I wouldn't destroy the cv shafts.

RonGD and Rick Anderson like this.