AF: A new camouflaged Maserati spotted on the streets of Modena. The engine is 100% Maserati. | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A new camouflaged Maserati spotted on the streets of Modena. The engine is 100% Maserati.

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by T_690, Nov 20, 2019.

1. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

A new camouflaged Maserati spotted on the streets of Modena. The engine is 100% Maserati.

Modena, 20 November 2019 – The first “mule” for the development of the new Maserati powertrain was driven out of the Viale Ciro Menotti gates, in Modena today.

The “mules” - as they are known in the automotive industry - of a new Maserati model have a special wrap that echoes the “Save the Date” teaser sent out ahead of the event scheduled for May 2020.

The experimental vehicles are equipped with a new powertrain entirely developed and built in Maserati and will be the forefather of a new family of engines integrated exclusively on the vehicles of the Brand.

The data acquired through the kilometres covered by the mules will be integrated with the experience gathered in the Maserati Innovation Lab driving simulators, the most advanced in the world. This working methodology will then be used to fine-tune and develop the prototypes with final bodywork and mechanics.

https://media.maserati.com/en-ww/releases/1524

16312-MaseratinewmuleModena.jpg
    16311-MaseratinewmuleModena.jpg
    16309-MaseratinewmuleModena.jpg
    16310-MaseratinewmuleModena.jpg

UN4GTBL, ScramFan, tlc and 2 others like this.
  2. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Well-Known Member

Looks like an enlarged Alfa 4C ;)

Donte Lindsey, MJAB, UN4GTBL and 5 others like this.
  3. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Funny how there just happened to be a press photographer camped there at such an early hour - and even stranger that the car came out the front gate when the back entrance is closer to the workshops ;)

Seriously, though, it's good to see something new coming.

UN4GTBL, AlfaCuda, ScramFan and 4 others like this.
  4. hotmach

hotmach Not an insider !

Interesting its a Maserati, looks more suited to Alfa.
    Lets drop some snake skin on it !

5. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

Who knows? It may well be one of the AR models the company decided not to go forward with, and got quickly shifted over to Maserati.

Dave Z and HotCarNut like this.
  6. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

8C successor maybe?

7. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Made me think of the Chrysler ME-412 concept.

Donte Lindsey and UN4GTBL like this.
  8. AlfaCuda

It was developed as an Alfa I believe. Then transferred to Maserati.

HotCarNut and 77 Monaco Brougham like this.
  9. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

I've found an interesting post on a FB page Alfa Tipo 949.

La nuova supersportiva a motore centrale Maserati, codice di progetto M240, deriva dal progetto di Alfa 8C. Il suo motore non è un motore al 100% Maserati come sostiene il PR Maserati nel suo comunicato stampa, ma un derivato del 2.9 V6 Alfa Romeo più noto come "Termoli", una variante high rev con doppia accensione TwinSpark da 625cv con assemblaggio finale a Modena. Il progetto originale di Maserati Alfieri con una piattaforma in alluminio di concezione simile a quella usata da modelli Ferrari è stato bocciato da Mike Manley che ha deciso di usare il progetto della vettura per i 110 anni di Alfa Romeo, l'Alfa 8C, come halo model della nuova gamma Maserati. Speriamo che Mike Manley e i suoi consiglieri siano allontanati il più presto possibile, e speriamo che Carlos Tavares abbia una visione migliore per Alfa Romeo.
    La vettura nelle foto è un mulotipo.

The New Maserati Central Engine -, code project code comes from the ALFA 8 C project. Its engine is not a 100 % Maserati engine as it supports the PR Maserati in its press release, but a derivative of the 2.9 V6 Alfa Romeo more known as "termoli", a high rev variant with double ignition twinspark 625 HP with final assembly in Modena. The Original project of Maserati Alfieri with an aluminum platform of conception similar to that used by Ferrari models was rejected by Mike Manley who decided to use the project of the car for the 110 years of Alfa Romeo, the alfa 8C, Like halo model of the new Maserati range. Let's hope Mike Manley and his advisors are away as soon as possible, and hopefully Carlos Tavares has a better vision for Alfa Romeo.
    The car in the photos is a mulotipo.

Dave Z and HotCarNut like this.
  10. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

BINGO - It definitely looked like the Alfa 8C mules, and has the same basic lines. It absolutely SHOULD be an Alfa, and Maserati SHOULD have gotten the aluminum platform for the Gran Turismo successor.

T_690 and UN4GTBL like this.
  11. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

I disagree, I think they're now finally treating Maserati with respect. The $60k+ pricepoint (Quadriofoglio trim excepted) should've always been the domain of Maserati, with Alfa taking the lower end. Maserati should've been receiving the latest technology and platforms so it could stand up to its steep competition. It was instead inundated with mediocre sedans and a Levante that still should've been better.

AlfaCuda likes this.
  12. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

I know that @serpens will disagree but in this case Manley totally misinterpreted brand's DNA.

Maserati is all about GT models. GT models which can take on Porsche 911. Thus Alfieri on Ferrari aluminium spaceframe platform was the perfect choice.

8C is more suited for Alfa Romeo. We are talking about project which was made for up to 2000 cars per year with 4 years duration. So 8000 is a maximum production number. They may end before it.

Maserati will have a GranTurismo succesor but it will be on a revised Giorgio (longer front axle to cabin distance) and it will be a true 4 seater and not a 911 fighter.

ScramFan, cygnus and HotCarNut like this.
  13. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

It could be an interesting if the new engine head implements the solution shown in the hereafter FCA patent.

"...The pre-chamber is, not used for engine operation with poor dosing, but to increase resistance to engine detonation. The engine can thus be configured with a high compression ratio, with a significant reduction in fuel consumption at the same power level. The second spark plug is only activated at low and medium engine loads to stabilize combustion. ..."

(US20190078498) GASOLINE INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE, WITH A COMBUSTION PRE-CHAMBER AND TWO SPARK PLUGS [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It could look like the Mahle TJI (turbulent jet ignition) used, for example, by Ferrari in its F1 engine.
    But in Mahle system is more complex and has a dedicated gasoline injector for the pre-chamber.

ScramFan and T_690 like this.
  14. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Gianluca Pivetti? He was responsible for Alfa Romeo V6 90° engine. Interesting I must say.

Morty and ScramFan like this.
  15. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

Hey it's a new Dodge Omni! :)

16. AlfaCuda

Agreed. I think that rationale must have been that this car is an easier sell with the Trident badge.

HotCarNut likes this.
  17. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Last Alfa 8C was made in 500 units and was sold off. Actually they had received 1400 orders.

It was different with 8C Spider because it came out during the recession. And because of it they had trouble selling them.

New 8C... Pardon, new M240 will be made in no more than 8000 units if something has not changed.
    From what I've heard Maserati fans are not especially warmed for this model. They want GT Ferrari related 2+ model which could be a 911 killer.

HotCarNut likes this.
  18. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Sorry... Aren't F1 engines limited to just 1 injector per cylinder? AFAIK it was like that by the rules.

This new payment has both SMPI and GDI injector. Already Euro 6D TEMP version of Alfa Romeo V6 90° engine has both SMPI and GDI. AFAIK this version of engine is not offered in US. But this should change with MY20.

19. AlfaCuda

Well I would think that “Maserati fans” might only make up a small number. And the company might do well to look beyond them if they want to make the brand a success.

serpens likes this.
  20. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

You think? These people were in the market for Maserati before and could be in the future but not for M240.

But as I've said every brand should follow its DNA. Mid engine cars were never Maserati's specialty.

HotCarNut likes this.