AF: A new Pacifica! MANY upgrades! AWD! | Page 11 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A new Pacifica! MANY upgrades! AWD!

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I was hoping to replace it before it hit 20....:D...though I had hoped it would live on in service of another driver. One of my neighbors was interested in buying it, and I was going to let him have it for a couple hundred bucks at the most, I knew he didn’t have much money. I had told him about everything I knew was wrong with it at the time. Unfortunately it didn’t make it that long. I’m glad I found out how bad it was before I had a chance to sell it, I wouldn’t want to do that to someone.

To be clear, though, I don’t want anyone to think I’m complaining about rust & corrosion on my old Liberty. I got 18 years and 180k out of it. It had some pricey repairs over the years, but I definitely got my money’s worth and then some out of it. Off-road fun, on-road workhorse. It got me everywhere I needed to go. I am truly missing it.

A family hauler comes first, and if the 3-row GC comes in time, it may be that. Otherwise, I have my sights set on a Gladiator to replace my Mustang in a couple years...or sooner. As my wife reminds me, we’re a Jeep family, and can’t be without one for long. It’s my first time since 1998 I haven’t had a Jeep in my driveway. :(

And to keep this on thread, a new AWD Pacifica is in the running to be our family hauler. :)

link3721, danbek, page2171 and 5 others like this.
  2. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

After having the Pacifica Hybrid for about a month now, it's fuel economy is definitely a bigger plus over any stability/performance benefit I foresee of an AWD Pacifica, IMO.

At least you could have a choice between which exterior styled AWD Pacifica you get, depending on which the wife prefers (mine likes the current styling better than the refresh).

3. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

Same thing that happened with my mom's 92 Sundance. She drove it for 18 years and it still ran great when it went to the wrecker. The garage told her, "If it was me driving this car, I'd wear football pads because it's going to come apart if someone hits you."

4. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I had told the mechanic that I had hoped to hold onto my Liberty as a winter rat for this winter and then we’d be trading it/getting rid of it in the spring. He told me, “yeah, I wouldn’t even trust it for that.” Talk about breaking my heart....

Lesson learned though, I’ll be wriggling my behind under our vehicles more often now to check.

5. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

This winter has been extremely mild here, we haven’t had a single snow storm where snow actually accumulated. So you start thinking, do we even need AWD anymore? Then I remember that I work at a hospital, and I have to get into work no matter what it’s doing outside...so AWD is still necessary. And for when we head up to central NY State to visit relatives. My biggest issue lately has been the roads flooding, and having to drive through standing water...I miss the ground clearance of my Liberty. The A3 might as well be a canoe it sits so low, and my Mustang is like that too.

I think we’ll look at an AWD Pacifica, I’m just not sure yet how high it’ll rank on the shopping list. I’m trying to keep an open mind though.

6. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

Now THERE'S a mental picture to have rolling around in my head as I'm now enjoying a late-night snack, and will shuffle off to bed before too long.:eek::eek::eek:

Zagnut27 likes this.
  7. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yeah, it wasn’t a pretty picture getting under my Liberty because I was too lazy/didn’t have time to put it up on the jack stands. I’m not a big guy, 5’8 and 175lbs, but there’s no way on God’s green Earth that I’m fitting under the Audi or Mustang like that. Yet another reason to love Jeeps. :)

UN4GTBL likes this.
  8. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

That’s good to hear as I plan to get the hybrid. As someone who lives “extreme winter” (Canadian Prairie) 4-5 months of the year it’s been my experience that a good set of winter wheels/tires is a FAR better advantage than AWD. The risk with winter driving isn’t getting going, it’s stopping that’s the problem. AWD isn’t going to help with that. I drove a RWD Magnum alongside an AWD Journey for several winters and with both equipped with winter tires the difference between them was negligible. The Journey with its stock Kumho all seasons was terrifyingly bad in the winter despite the AWD.

eastcoaster, UN4GTBL and somber like this.
  9. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

That came off the titanic?:D

UN4GTBL, Ryan, Zagnut27 and 1 other person like this.
  10. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

Worse.

Dumbler-era Dodge Caliber :eek:

wtxiceman, page2171 and gforce2002 like this.
  11. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

You know what’s weird though is I still see TONS of 2007-08 era Calibers around here, even in such a high salt area. They seem pretty hard to outright kill.

AvengerGuy and Bajanbuoy like this.
  12. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

They've all but disappeared here. It wouldn't take much really, just a little corrosion in the awful TIPM and the car is done. My friend just had his 2011 Patriot go to the junk yard because the CVT was toasted.

They had an extended warranty on that subframe, but my dealer didn't think it was bad enough to replace yet. It was only when I got under the car while doing a tire swap that I realized how bad it was.

gforce2002 likes this.
  13. plymouth1

plymouth1 Well-Known Member

I drove my 90 Spirit to the wrecking yard with 269k only due to rust issues. Same for the 92 Dynasty at 240k. The 98 Grand Voyager will be next it is getting pretty bad but has over 250k miles. Wisconsin has to put an inch of Salt on every square inch of every single road that is Federal, State or County owned. EVERY TIME IT SNOWS. Even when it is only a light dusting. It is absolutely ridiculous. Not a tree hugging protester in sight ever.

somber, Bajanbuoy and UN4GTBL like this.
  14. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

I was very surprised to see that Kia is once again taking a swipe at the minivan market. Along with the Pacifica's new center console, it looks like there's a push to gradually bring the cockpit design to minivans as well.

[​IMG]

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  15. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Ugly!

DC-93 likes this.
  16. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

That kinda defeats the purpose IMO.

UN4GTBL and DC-93 like this.
  17. serpens

I won’t judge based on a dog shot, but it’s definitely bringing the high tech look from luxury cars to a segment that is usually devoid of style.

AvengerGuy and page2171 like this.
  18. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Puting to huge screens is not stylish. It's lack of style. Same goes for recent Mercedes products.

19. serpens

When presented within the context of a thoroughly modern interior it certainly is. You just don't like it. Here's another pic:

[​IMG]

Really the only sin I see that's been committed is that they followed Mercedes in punishing you with the base setup. Small screen with huge black surrounds coupled with physical gauges in a flat backdrop. That's just ugly. But the full LCD setup has definite wow factor.

If Kia has upped its driving dynamics it actually may give the Pacifica a scare.

UN4GTBL, page2171 and gforce2002 like this.
  20. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

Ryan and serpens like this.