AF: A new Pacifica! MANY upgrades! AWD! | Page 9 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A new Pacifica! MANY upgrades! AWD!

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Feb 6, 2020.

1. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Well-Known Member

Yeah, agreed.

2. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

The improvements to the center console are enormous.

cygnus and page2171 like this.
  3. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

I wanted to barf then when I first saw them. Guess what? Feeling is still the same. These new interiors are light years ahead of that.

page2171 and UN4GTBL like this.
  4. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

Those DCX era interiors were criminally bad. It's the first time I'd ever seen where the previous gen interiors were higher quality than the new models.

5. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Here's where the problem is in my opinion:
    * DCX interiors look cold and uninviting. Styling was often clunky and the materials looked and felt rough. However, the materials really seemed to hold up and even in old, beater 150k+ mile vehicles often remained pretty much rattle free.
    * FCA interiors look and feel so much better. Most pieces are nice to the touch and have a quality look. However, I've noticed the seat bolsters show wear very early in life, as in under 20k miles. And these nice looking interiors are more rattle prone.

I'd like to see a real effort put into DCX-durability in an FCA-good looking interior.
    The closet I've ever seen to that were some of the very last (1990's era) independent Chrysler products (line the 97 Dakota, the first gen Neon, the 90's Imperial, etc.).

6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

The leather on some of the DCX vehicles looked awful after a while. In some cases the seats were insanely hard (because they're cheaper that way). The Jeep Commander was one example, looked good but the seats were like concrete park benches.

Keep in mind that before DCX, Chrysler made some beautiful interiors, e.g. the 300M, which were classy and comfortable, inviting and user-friendly alike. Their main goof IMHO was the Neon climate control panel, which mis-led most owners into using their a/c compressors most of the year... "turn the fan this way for a/c and that way for not a/c." It confused the experienced people at C/R and lots of otherwise intelligent people. Yes, I figured it out immediately, because you knew when the compressor was on; Neon had a very powerful a/c system. (C/R preferred the Corolla, because you couldn't feel when the a/c went on... didn't rob engine power, but also didn't really cool the air, so what's the point?)

7. Powdered Toast Man

Those DCX interiors looked like they were straight out of the 90's. I'll disagree in that one of the reasons I dumped my Magnum was because the interior was not aging well at all. Plenty of rattles and things looking very worn.

I agree about the FCA interiors. Back in 2011 the Journey's new interior was VERY nice. But omg these days I want to reach back and rip the rear HVAC control unit off the ceiling and throw it out the window because it's rattling and squeaking so badly. It drives me insane.

Deckard_Cain and UN4GTBL like this.
  8. Powdered Toast Man

Also their leather seats were the bare minimum amount of cow hide to be called leather seats. There was quite a bit of vinyl for everything but the very face of the seat covers. Also the rears were about 100% vinyl if I recall correctly.

Deckard_Cain and UN4GTBL like this.
  9. valiant67

valiant67 ...

My Magnum (and 300C) had lots of rattles but those were attributable to horribly poor quality suspension components.

gforce2002 and UN4GTBL like this.
  10. Powdered Toast Man

My experience as well. Not to mention the brake lights quit working so there was some kind of electrical issue too.

It's a shame. I had an 08 and it was a good looking car. I'd buy a new one now if they still made an updated model.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  11. UN4GTBL

*shudders*

12. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

Having had to replace the sway bar dampers on my ‘18 Compass at 25K kms, I’m not sure there’s been much advancement there.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  13. UN4GTBL

Which 2018 Compass do you have, the new one, or the original one?

Considering I had both front LCAs replaced within the first 2 years at 22,000km on my Caliber, we're doing excellent with our current vehicles:

Our 2011 Caravan is at 8.5 years and 125,000km and no suspension issues
    My 2019 Cherokee is almost at 2 years and 38,000km and no suspension issues

14. Powdered Toast Man

Had to do the rear shocks and the rear sway bar bushings at less than 30,000 KM on my '15 200. So yeah, no improvement there.

15. FThorn

FThorn Well-Known Member

The $200,000 Porsche Taycan, on Top Gear last episode, sounded like it was going to rattle apart. imo.

16. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

It’s the new one. The most troublesome vehicle I’ve ever owned.

17. FThorn

FThorn Well-Known Member

The Pacifica new super fancy leather interiors is where the Chrysler brand should have been product-wise 10 years ago. What I see Genesis doing today (which ALSO had missteps) is what I thought Chrysler should aim for. As an aside, I was passed by a Genesis (branded) car yesterday (G70/80?) and then 4 cars later the rare Equus (precursor prior to re-brand). That will NEVER happen again in my lifetime.

Which reminds me, I need to put an alerts on nearby used Equus, in Car Gurus just to test drive one.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  18. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

I’m not here to defend Porsche in any way, but it sounded like the rattling was from one source, and I’m willing to believe it was the recording system.

page2171 likes this.
  19. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

These are the things that need to change. The cheap a-- suspension components they are buying is not acceptable. I just don't understand how the person or persons can't see this. Leave Auburn Hills once in awhile.

20. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

I like the new console design. While I've put some stuff "In the middle" of the current console, the new one looks to have a passthrough, and honestly you couldn't really put items too big down below because it looks like you're hoarding junk. Even with just a box of tissues and a purse there it looks bad.