AF: A-Segment Jeep | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A-Segment Jeep

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by crmarczak, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

As I stated in my post, there were many reasons why Pontiac failed and was shut down.

I realize why they are Jeeps and not Dodges. They sell as Jeeps BECAUSE of the reputation and image that was built by Wrangler over the last 75 years. Wrangler IS the Jeep brand. In its original form, it was the first Jeep. It is not a sub brand. If there was no Wrangler, there would be no Jeep lifestyle, no Jeep image, no Jeep reputation. Ask anyone what a Jeep is, and what comes to mind is Wrangler...not Renegade, or Cherokee or Compass or any of the others. Jeep's reputation and reason for selling the way it does was built on the back of the Wrangler. If they turned Wrangler into just another crossover like Cherokee, over time Jeep would dry up and blow away...no matter what sales of the rest of the lineup are currently. If anyone doesn't realize that, they're fooling themself.

You keep referring to hand wringing. I, and I'm sure most of us on here who realize what Jeep is, find that offensive. There have been many threads devoted to this topic already, but the DOJ was perhaps the most thorough with posters weighing in with far more knowledge than myself...like Norm, Bob, Eric, and others.

As stated before, there are many threads devoted to this already so I'll stop wasting my breath here.

TripleT likes this.
  2. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

The reason I say Handwringing because... and no offense is intended is that is doesn't matter how long the DOJ thread was... it didn't matter a darn bit. Jeep will be what the people who own Jeep decide. Use whatever non-productive commenting in disagreement with a chosen direction that doesn't offend. Handwringing being the least. It is what is and moving forward there will be "soft" as you define it Jeeps.

It doesn't matter what I or you think one little bit, the market has spoken.

As generations move on and regulation change Jeep will have to evolve or it will die. It is undeniable that at the moment the Jeep is on a run... and can and will be different things to different people... and I am fine with that not everyone starts out in a Wrangler but if the community is inclusive they can end up there.

Prabhjot and Zagnut27 like this.
  3. TheMan

TheMan What color are the clouds in your world?
    Level III Supporter

Bwen,the and zdon= ŕ[email protected],bedo%e.;alrededor JJ

Ruptured Duck likes this.
  4. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

I wish they would have worked the JJ out Bob, it was ahead of the time and at least would set a precedent for capability over the MKs...

If I was in charge or had a magic wand I would insist that the A be direct child of the JJ or eye to with newer Jimny.... Really that is what the nearest competitor in the class is Jimny.....

But no offense intent to people like Zag I doubt that is what it will be...

Ruptured Duck likes this.
  5. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Believe me, I understand the how's and why's and honestly I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying. I believe there is a place in the world for all the Jeep models because not everyone wants or needs Wrangler level of capability. But there has to be a certain level of capability in these vehicles, a minimum standard for capability. Perhaps they all have that level now, as Dave Z stated above they have addressed some outstanding issues (others are not so easy). I worry that opening Jeep up to so many different models that they are trying to make it the "mainstream" brand which by its very nature it was never intended to be. But I understand why. I'm painfully aware why, and I don't see a better option for them other than Jeep...which is pretty sad. As I stated before, if/when the Wrangler variants come to market, it will help to solidify Jeep's core for the future.

It is what it is...

(Honestly, if this were ANY other brand I probably wouldn't think twice about it. I am many things, but emotional I am not. My wife tells me I exhibit clinical detachment...I see that as a compliment. But for Jeep, I pray to the automotive Gods above, please don't F it up).

#45 Zagnut27, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    TheMan and dmcdonald like this.
  6. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

couldn't been worse then the MKs, every Jeep since has been better, I was impressed with the video of the Renegade... my crystal ball sees the Cherokee evolving to a new platform and at least 2 new Wrangler variants one already confirmed.

Prabhjot likes this.
  7. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Agreed. I just watched the Renegade video, and it does pretty well for what it is...even for what it's not. But boy, you can really see the differences in articulation/wheel travel...really highlights the differences in the different setups. Do you think they'll move Cherokee to rwd, or that will be a different model altogether (Wagoneer?). I've heard both, but changing Cherokee doesn't seem logical...messing with a hot-seller and all that.

8. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

it will be do for a new model about the time the GUS has made it way to a Alfa then a Dodge CUV. Added or Replace either way it a proper add.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  9. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

"All these future Jeep buyers worldwide do not worry about the Rubicon, they want something they can afford and that will last a long time."

For me this statement really drives the point home regarding Jeep. The arguments regarding what is a real Jeep be it the Wrangler or all the other "Jeep" products comes down to how it will survive. There is a HUGE difference between the ability to traverse any give trail (Rubicon, Big Bear, Moab, Tellico - saddly closed) one time and doing it over and over and over. The Wrangler type Jeep is that vehicle and for Jeep to keep its image must always have this as the main focus. From a global standpoint I think repeat abuse and the ability to survive are going to be far more important for an A-segment Jeep than any of the current offerings other than the Wrangler and any future variation of it.

Zagnut27 likes this.