AF: A413 transmission questions | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A413 transmission questions

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by Artie K Car, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Artie K Car

Artie K Car New Member

Hi all,
    Q # 1 - On my '88 Reliant, there is a governor screen. Does this need to be replaced at any interval or not ??
    Q # 2 - I am replacing the trans gasket...is there any better choice between a rubber, cork & metal, nitrile and so on for the gasket material ?? How about brands ??

Thanks in advance.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #8 by ImperialCrown, Aug 15, 2018
  3. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

The only reason for cleaning the governor screen would be if the fluid was exceptionally dirty and you were having shifting problems. Pan gasket, I believe I used the rubber one that was in the Fram filter kit the last time. When I built the original, I sealed it with black RTV, but everything was dry so it bonded together properly.

Artie K Car likes this.
  4. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I would not use RTV on a transmission pan. If any gets into the valve body, serious problems will result.

5. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

When I had the transmission serviced on my 2006 Ram 1500, the dealer tech used RTV (common on newer vehicles). No leaks or problems from using RTV.

6. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I wonder if it was an anaerobic sealant, like the manual transmissions use.

7. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I couldn't tell you. I just know there is no gasket and some sort of RTV was used.

8. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

Bob. I had no issues with it, we just used enough to seal it as the manual specifies.

Doug D likes this.
  9. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

OEM was black Mopar ATF RTV. Other RTV formulas may not stand up to ATF. It worked fine for me.
    Cork is obsolete as a gasket material. Some aftermarket rubber gaskets also leaked on me.
    If the governor screen is plugging with clutch material, you may have other issues. The conical screen can be blown out with compressed air, but there may be some debris left at the tip of the screen.

Artie K Car and Doug D like this.
  10. Artie K Car

Artie K Car New Member

Thank you for all the info, but re: the cork gasket..........Mahle sells one (
    Item Grade OEM Standard
    Additional Package Contents End Seals
    Valve Cover Gasket Material Cork-Rubber )
    and considering they are among the best manufacturers of automotive products ....

As for the governor screen - I have yet to replace the gaskets, fluids, etc, but I did notice the screen on trans diagrams and did not know if or when it should be replaced
    Thanks to all who answered !!!