AF: Abandoned 2003 LE Resurrection | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Abandoned 2003 LE Resurrection

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by Aesthetikz, Aug 2, 2018.

1. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

I had an uncle that lived on a farm and he had a swamp cooler. That went along with his outhouse, no indoor toilet ;):p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O

Citation84 likes this.
  2. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

I've had portable ones that have worked well. I have one now and use with fan and the AC set at 82. Makes an impact on the electric bills. Supposed to be 107 today.

06PTElectricBlue likes this.
  3. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

Growing up in Iowa, and before my Dad put in central a/c, we had a whole house ceiling fan. Talk about cooling a house down :)

I don't know if it's true or not, and I never tried it, but he did always warn us kids to open some windows before turning on that fan, or the suction it creates could crack some windows. ;)

If that had happened, I'm pretty sure I would have been on the receiving end of his belt :eek:

4. PtPooter

PtPooter Active Member

Yes swamp cooler, I have a portable one ( has wheels and area to put drink and maybe tools etc) that was broken from a brother, he didn't remember what didn't run on it.

The important thing the pan isn't rusted, the pump worked, and blower, then blower stopped after about 5 minutes.

Unfortunately the brand Mastercool went out of business so I'm trying to find a replacement motor, or see if I can find a shop that rebuilds motors.

Not sure how good it will do if I get it fixed.

I saw new really high performance swamp cooler for garage at home depot (looking online) but it's $1200.00

PT is in need of belt tensioner replacement, have part already, belt squeels on start up.

Corvette needs oil change ASAP, 1965 C10 truck have new ceramic coated longtube headers and Edelbrock multi port fuel injection to install on the 396 engine.

The headers are summit brand and have a 90 day return policy, was going to pull exhaust manifolds off the engine and leave bubble wrap on headers see if they fit, maybe put 2 bolts on each one to see.

Can return if loosely fit them like that, but can't if you tighten them down and fire engine.

Hoping they fit, because first off big block Chevy was not installed from factory until 1968 trucks, and these headers are supposed to fit 1960-1972 big block trucks.

By the way I swapped the big block in there about 16 years ago.

Also working from home because Corona virus, then watch TV, sleep, repeat tends to feel like a trap, now the excess heat you walk outside or in garage and go back in house after 2 minutes.

I'm hoping that swamp cooler works!

By the way PT clunked and I looked it was probably 22 mph.

5. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

You could probably pull the motor off the swamp cooler and check the brushes yourself. If they're worn out, do a google search and see if you can find replacements. I'd also polish the armature with some very fine emery cloth for a good contact if you find the brushes. Good luck with it. And I know how you feel about the heat in the garage. Mine is very hot with both an eastern and southern exposure. It's not too bad until after 11:00 am. After that, the southern exposure heats it up and even with the main door and side door open and a fan blowing on me, it's too hot to work in there for long. I often carry things out and work in the shade of one of my huge oak trees.

6. PtPooter

PtPooter Active Member

I may try that with the motor, it's a direct drive and it very crusty I'm guessing from hard water buildup.

Also the blower wheel scoops seem to be crusty or rusty from same thing, I will try pulling it all apart to clean and inspect, good idea.