Allpar Forums banner

-- Abarth auto Trans. --

7K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  arcdude 
#1 ·
When are we going to see an optional automatic/dual clutch transmission offered on the Abarth? I have loved this car since seeing them in Italy years ago but am not driving a manual in traffic all day.

#2 ·
To my knowledge they couldn't get an automatic to fit on the Abarth because the size of the automatic transmission would interfere with one of the intercoolers(Abarths have two intercoolers,one one each side of the car). As such,it's a packaging issue.

#3 ·
quick google says autos in euroland
I am SURE that they are totally unqualified to grace our most dangerous and unique roadways here and threaten the safety and well-being of our beloved children with their nasty crash tolerances and possibly rude behaviors.
And likely could not even spell the oft-bandied about, high faulting' FMVSS, which as we know it is the thread holding together our modern day American society.

#4 ·
The thing is ironically those Euro Abarths are less powerful than the ones we get here.
(we actually got a version of a car that's more powerful than what is sold in Europe,for once)

#6 ·
The 500T should be coming out soon and I believe an auto is avalible in it.

#10 ·
Sir Moses Wellington said:
I believe the only availble tans in the T is the same trans as in the Abarth, the 5 speed manual. But their are rumblings the 6 speed DDCT might make it into the the Turbo. Hoping it does, not sure I'd like to daily drive that car as a manual trans.
Correct. The only Transmission Available in the ABARTH and 500T is the 5 Speed Manual (C510).

If you want an Auto... you have to buy a Pop, Lounge, or Sport.

AJ_Schreiber said:
WHY? Thats like getting a Viper with an Auto
Exactly.

#12 ·
To my knowledge they couldn't get an automatic to fit on the Abarth because the size of the automatic transmission would interfere with one of the intercoolers(Abarths have two intercoolers,one one each side of the car). As such,it's a packaging issue.
It has nothing to do with the intercoolers, the intercoolers are the same on the US version as the Euro version.

The issues is changes made to the uni-body and subframe structure for the North American version that is limiting the size of the transmission. So yes, it is a "packaging issue", just not one involving the engine air charging system.

Mike

WHY? Thats like getting a Viper with an Auto
Why? I will refer you to the various 595 versions of the Abarth that use an AMT with paddles for instance. So to answer the question... because they can and because they think they can sell enough of them to make a profit on it.

You are forgetting that the car is a package, and you can still have an incredible package without a manual transmission.

Mike

#13 ·
If you don't want to drive a manual transmission car, you don't deserve to drive a car like the Abarth. As far as I am concerned, shifting is an integral part of driving. The only problems with a manual transmission is when you are trying to do something while driving that you should not be doing anyway, like talking on your phone or eating or drinking. I am tired of sharing the road with all these idiots who do not think driving requires all their attention, especially when I am riding my motorcycle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.