Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About to take possession of a 2004 Liberty

Discussion in 'Cherokee, Liberty, Nitro' started by Lone Eagle, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Lone Eagle

Lone Eagle Embrace the insanity!!

My youngest is in the Army, stationed at JBLM in Tacoma(91 Bravo attached to the 46th ASB). One of his unit mates had a 2004 Liberty, and popped the left upper ball joint trying to roll off a 6" curb. He traded it to my son for his POS 1995 Acura Integra with a bad motor swap. He replaced both ball joints, tie rod end, and CV axle in about 6 hrs. It has 160K on the clock, however it's a one owner, and all maintenance records came with. The only body issue is a little rot in the rear corner of the driver's door. He's making mama's Jeep dream come true, even though it's not a Wrangler.

Here's what I know about it. 2004 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mtn Edition, 3.7L/auto/4x4/rear ABS only, Trail Rated. It has the weight sensor in the passenger's seat for the airbag, 5 passenger seating, and roof rack. It has power windows and door locks. The owner lost the key fob, however, the wife plans on having an auto-start systrem installed, as Montana winters can be a bit cold.

The questions I have are:

1. Can we install a block heater on this model? We have one on her 2001 Durango, and she likes having heat on those sub-zero days.

2. How can I tell if it has the Infinity Sound System? It has just a radio/CD player, where her Durango has the combo unit with the amp behind the passenger's kick panel.

3. Are there any issues I should watch out for? We had to put a transmission in her Durango at 140K due to the OD plate having hte wrong size hole in it(42RE Puke-o-matic, and the rebuilt unit is on borrowed time after it puked a spacer)

Thanks, guys, and great to be back in the Mopar game.

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Block heaters were standard in Canada. They went in place of a block soft plug. I see the part #'s listed (items 9, 10 and 11) on p. 8-1210. Google for them using "Mopar part #".
    2004 KJ parts catalog here:
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Chrysler_Service_Parts_Catalog/CD4/02-05/04kj.PDF
    Infinity radios should have small white letters on the faceplate saying RCJ. It was a 6-speaker system. What system does it have now? See p. 8A-310 for the available sound systems. Used units should be around for an upgrade.
    I would change all drivetrain fluids once you take possession of the Liberty for preventative maintenance. Power steering and brake fluid flushes can add years to components. Use the semi-synthetic ATF+4 in the transmission and P/S.
    A Remote start system would come with new fobs, so wait until then. I put the Mopar remote start in my wife's 2011 Liberty which was nice. No cutting wires. Everything just plugged in and the dealer flashed the TIPM that told it that it now had RS and then everything worked. The 2004 should be simpler without the TIPM, but I don't see a Mopar accessory listing for it. Aftermarket may be the only option.
    There were multiple ball joint recalls on these. Make sure that the lower ones are OK.
    You may have the 42RLE transmission. There was a TCM software update for it on TSB # 21-009-09:
    https://www.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/77620/080022dc8201a9cf

3. Lone Eagle

Thanks for the info, ImperialCrown. Right now, it has the stock AM/FM/CD only, speakers in the doors, and what looks like 2 tweeters in the dash. I didn't look too much at the faceplate, as we only had 2 hrs on base before we had to scoot and head back home. I was more interested in how well the motor ran and the condition of the frame/body. My son said the only issue he found after the repair was a slight ticking sound from the left wheel that quits once the transfer case is engaged. He said his Sgt rode next to him on his scooter, and said it sounded like the CV joint may have been sprung when the wheel laid over. Lucky for me, I've done my fair share of axles on EEKs.

Front and rear diffs were serviced 6 months ago, and it's getting a full service/tune-up once I get it home next weekend. I've already talked to my local shop about swapping all 4 joints and tie rod ends to Moog. My wife's Durango ate the cheap joints like candy. I put Moog in hers 2 years ago, and not one problem since.

4. Lone Eagle

Well, got her home last night. Wife said it ran like a champ, and was more comfortable than her Durango. While in Spokane, I scored 2 used front door shells with glass and exterior handles for $10, so working with my body man on a paint/install to get rid of the swiss cheese front doors. Rear doors are OK. What happened on the front doors is someone broke into his rig while he was deployed, and the front doors got water in them. He replaced everything in the doors but the speakers, and one is popped. I have 4 brand new speakers we just put in her Durango. My son showed me the upper joint they pulled, and it was dry as a bone. no signs of grease at all, and it was a factory-replaced joint in 2010.

The radio is 6 speaker, with RBK on the faceplate. It is actually louder than the one in her Durango. If it did have the Infinity amp, where would it be located? When I found the one on her Durango, it had a subwoofer output that I was able to connect her bass cannon onto. She would love to swap that into the Jeep when I do the door speakers.

The only issues we found(other than the door rot) is the AC compressor pulley bearing and clutch are shot. Even with the belt on, you could see the pulley flopping like a fish. Also, the left front axle was over-extended when the wheel fell over, however it didn't tear the inner boot. When my son helped shove everything back in, the joint is out 90 degrees, and the boot is twisted, however it still functions other than a light grumble when 4x4 is engaged. I'm hoping I can at least salvage the axle by reclocking the inner joint. New parts on order as we speak for both of those. Next spring, I will be rebuilding the front end with all Moog parts. Right side joints are good, no tears in the boots, however, Jr just grabbed the cheapest thing Autozone had on the shelf for the left side to get it going. The last issue is the driver's seat tilt lever was broken off. You might say it involved a soldier and jello shots.....lol. It's the manual seat, so does anyone know if I can get just the tilt mechanism, or will the entire seat need to be replaced?

I haven't crawled underneath yet, however it does have a transmission cooler(our Durango didn't, but got a factory cooler when the new trans went in).
    It didn't come with factory fog lights, however, it does have the correct switch for the fogs, and the wiring is at the relay/fuse box under the dash(relay is there, however I need to figure out the wiring). I'm hoping the plugs for the lights are simply taped off to the harness somewhere. If not, I grabbed 2 factory connectors off the wreck I got the doors from, and I can build a harness if needed.

All in all, it's not bad for a $600 score. I'll get some pics up in the next few days.

#4 Lone Eagle, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    Citation84 likes this.
  5. Lone Eagle

OK, little update. I found the fog light wiring went out to the plug behind the left side of the grill. I slipped a new pin in the connector, and building a harness for the factory lights. Funny, a pin from a Ford radio adapter is the same pin.

I crawled underneath it, and both CV joints on the prop shafts have been rebuilt recently. I found a used left front CV axle for $20 locally, as well as a bunch of NIB parts. Neighbor had a 2005 that was totaled, so grabbed what I could before the insurance hauled it off. A/C compresor was in worse shape than ours, so wife ordered one off Amazon with new gaskets and accumulator for $160.

My oldest found a Move Bambi Basher from a coworker who sold his recently. I have to go look at it this weekend, however it should be a steal.

My wife can't wait to get back behind the wheel of this thing.