AF: AC won't blow through dash vents | 2000 Dodge Caravan | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AC won't blow through dash vents | 2000 Dodge Caravan

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by DrDan68108, Jun 29, 2020.

1. DrDan68108

DrDan68108 Well-Known Member

When running the air conditioning, I get no airflow through the dash vents - it blows out the defrost outlets instead. (Moving the dial to "bi-level" leads to air coming from floor and defrost outlets - same as using the heat-def position.)

Is the blender door controlled with electricity instead of the vacuum system? The vacuum label under the hood doesn't show a hookup (unlike my '95 Dakota).

This van has been unused for years, and I had to replace spark-plug wires that critters found tasty. While looking for troubles, I found the wires to the master cylinder sending unit got chewed, too. I have gotten the van running and driving, though.

2. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Starting with production of the 3rd generation minivan in 1995, the climate control is all electrically controlled to include the blend air temperature, mode, recirculation. Check fuse #6 in the interior fuse / junction block and make sure it is passing electrical current to the climate control system. It is located under the instrument panel, driver side. You may have to remove a plastic shield to access.

With a good fuse and power to the HVAC / climate control, locate the vehicle in a quiet area. Fasten seat belt, turn off radio to remove extra sources of noise. Turn ignition key switch to the ON / RUN position but do not start the vehicle. Turn the fan control switch to the lowest speed setting away from OFF. Slowly move the MODE selector dial between floor, bi-level and defrost. You should hear the stepper motor in the actuator move the mode door and redirect air flow. No sound or a sound like stripping gears means a problem with wiring to the stepper motor actuator or failure of the actuator motor.

3. DrDan68108

DrDan68108 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestion, Allan. I could clearly hear the motor only when moving the mode dial between bilevel, floor-only and defrost - and when turning the ignition to ON or OFF.

4. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

It is possible that the motor actuator is working properly but something is broken or stripped on the blend door shaft and not causing it to move when commanded. Look under driver side of dash towards center of vehicle. You may have to remove an access panel. You will see the HVAC actuators. Remove the mode door actuator and determine if the splined shaft that mates with the actuator is broken / stripped. See attached image.

HVAC blend door actuators 2.gif