AF: ACR Challenger | Page 10 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ACR Challenger

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Mr.Source, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

By my estimation, at Road America, the Challenger ACR would be within 1 second, and 1.5 seconds of the Viper ACR-E.

Does that answer your questions?

Oh, and it can do it, for multiple successive laps, without overheating anything. There are still a lot of unknowns, but what is known, is that it will be the best possible car that SRT can make it.

Weight: unknown (current best guess is at or below 4000lbs.)

Engine: Redeye (at least, so 800hp)

Brakes: Viper ACR-E carbon on carbon Brembos

Shocks: Viper, but adapted for this application, Bilsteins

Diff: hoping for an E-Diff, but a better version of the stock/Demon diff is more likely. Again, this is easily available on the aftermarket. The off-road computer could have provisions to control it. I consider an EDiff unlikely at this point.

ARB: thicker, non-adjustable (possible adjustable ones in Mopar kit form, or from a supplier)

Carbon everywhere they can get away with. I would suspect they could not get away with an entire body structure of cf.

Viper Xwing and splitter. Same exact part numbers.

Transmission: Torqueflight 8speed, with flappy paddles, recalibrated somehow for the ACR application

Stiffer springs f and r

Provisions will be made for making easily adjustable caster/camber/toe/ride height.

Tires: 325mm, Kumho Ecstas (currently), could change

Computer: an adapted version of the Demon off road (track only) computer is possible.

Likely: A book of settings to help you set the car up for various tracks. Could be made as performance pages in the computer, too. Optimize the engine and transmission, then tell you where to set the suspension, wings, tire psi, etc.

All this is a mix of my own detective work, and stuff I’ve heard. It is mostly accurate, to the best f my knowledge.

no idea on production dates. I don’t ever see stuff like that. Only that it will be THIS generation.

#181 Muther, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
    Panterasr9, stroudtom, joewho and 4 others like this.
  2. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

I was told that the only Ford in its league is the Ford GT. The C7 ZR1 is for sure quick, but it lacks the track ready hardware this thing will have. So there’s that, plus the fact that every race driver whose driven a C7 ZR1 agrees that Chevy didn’t get its rear suspension right. It’s described as anywhere from downright spooky, to highly unsettled.

The Chally ACR will be race ready out of the box, sans safety gear, and other stuff they can’t get away with in a DOT setting, like brake cooling ducting. Provisions will be there for stuff like that, but SRT cannot get away with doing it all the way.

The Camaro ZL1-1LE is yesterday’s news. The GT500 is fast for sure, but still, it will lack, as the C7-ZR1 lacks, a race pedigree backed by real race development. Not just some “fast engineers” on a test track.

Ralphie insists that that if it gets the prized ACR moniker, that it can back it up, with real racing.

Also, there are some truly wicked Corvettes being developed, but I strongly suspect they will be like the other not fully baked Corvettes and Camaros in their execution. Same goes for Ford.

If the 1000hp Corvette does make its debut, I have been a Saura’s that SRT already has a Hemi ready for it.

#182 Muther, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
    Panterasr9, HotCarNut and hmk123 like this.
  3. hmk123

Level III Supporter

The ACR will be street legal just like the Viper was, right?

4. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

I'd suspect the GT500R will give it the best run. Great chassis, gobs of power, better CG, less downforce (but that may be negated by the better starting chassis), and the magnetic suspension that really can make a difference on the track. In reality, nobody who's an amateur will ever be able to find the true limits in these vehicles. It's probably which one has performance more easily accessible by amateurs that would really be faster for most of us.

Tony K likes this.
  5. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

From the sound of everything this car is gonna be in it's own league and not in a good way. If it's gonna be a car it's gonna have the car pricing which a lot of people will find hard to swallow for a challenger

thebluegoat likes this.
  6. HotCarNut

Level III Supporter

I don't think that's a conclusion I'd jump to. The new GT500 is nearly $100k with the Carbon Track Pack. There's seemingly plenty of appetite (pre-COVID-19) for $100k muscle cars.

Tony K likes this.
  7. mopar22

The issue isn't it's a muscle car, it's that it would be a 100k+ challenger that isn't typically known for making turns like the current gen mustang has been known for

HotCarNut likes this.
  8. HotCarNut

Level III Supporter

I get it, but the Demon pricing was unbelievable at the time. I'm just withholding judgment until we see the price tag and what else is available at that price point. Probably helps that hardcore BMWs are non-existent these days, and a Cayman GT4 is north of $100k. I can't believe I just wrote that last sentence talking about a Dodge Challenger....

joewho and Tony K like this.
  9. Mopar392

Mopar392 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking now what parts I would be able to retrofit to my Scat Pack.

I'm already planning to install 1320 springs and sway bars, to help with a better lunch.

Thom Paré likes this.
  10. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

Check and make sure those 1320 springs aren't just V6 springs, could be the same thing with an inflated price tag. Could even be the springs from the 2.7 cars unless the geometry or design chnaged in 2011/2015

11. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Yeah, it will be street legal. They could commission GT4 version of it I suppose. Kinda like what they did with the 2010 ACR and the ACR-X. The ACR was a streeter, the ACR-X was a track only car. Same car, but the X was uncorked enginewise, and it had all the safety gear from the Competition Coupe. It was a grid ready race car from the factory. I haven’t heard anything, but stranger things have happened. A GT4 Chally would the the same thing—an ACR it with all street equipment removed, and all necessary safety gear bolted in. This is unlikely, as I woulda heard about it. The ACR, as far as I know, is still a go.

HotCarNut and hmk123 like this.
  12. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Dodge might apply the same model as Alfa Romeo did with the Alfa Giulia GTA and GTAm. Both cars are street-legal from the factory, but the GTAm is clearly intended to be modified into a track-only car: the safety cage is pre-installed and certified, so all you need to do is de-restrict the engine and exhaust and fit competition brakes and tires.

13. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

The ACR will not have a cage, not any other safety items. They couldn’t get that past DOT. I do not know if there will be provisions for them made when it goes into production.

What I see is what the race teams see. I don’t see production type info. Heck, it could even come in Redeye, OG Hellcat, and OG 392 flavors for all I know. Those cars are out there.

Right now there is a track car built/being built that (I think) is going to have a full carbon fiber body structure—everything! I haven’t seen that yet, but the race team (I know) was working with the company that built the 100% cf Hellcat, and the team said they had a MAJOR announcement when COVID happened. They are sitting on the car, and haven’t said word one.

I personally doubt a full carbon structure, as that would mean a lot of money for re-engineering and DOT stuff that I would guess is outside the scope of the ACR budget. I suspect they’ll use as much carbon as they can without having to submit to any major re-engineering and DOT safety costs.

NOTE: a full carbon body structure, and associated cage, would be hella strong, and unbelievably rigid, and light.

hmk123 and HotCarNut like this.
  14. Clark

Clark Member

Are we still sure this is happening? It's a lot of cash and commitment for an outgoing car, a one-year-only special, unless they can keep both the old Challenger and a new Challenger-replacement going at once. (That would be a good idea, I think, if they can do it, because I think a lot of people like the current Challenger as a big-V8 car, but the Charger may be better off with turbo sixes, hybrid sixes, and a hot four, and maybe a full-battery design. Then it can also stick closer to the Giulia engine bay design which would save money and weight.)

I read this. Is a Dodge Challenger ACR still in the works? (at https://www.autobison.com/2020/05/is-a-dodge-challenger-acr-still-in-the-works/ )
    The guys here seem pretty certain but coronavirus has really hit everyone. There's talk now of more people not working than working. Would a $90,000 car be affected by the economy? How long could they make it? Just the engineering would usually take a long time to pay off.

This is why I think that maybe, just maybe, they might keep the Challenger old-style, which would explain the Barracuda rumors. The Barracuda was smaller than the Challenger, especially the original Barracuda.

15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

In theory the plant should be able to do it, the question is how long they can sell existing Challengers as safety standard, electronics, etc. change. I do wonder about the “Giorgio Global” since people here are saying it had to be bashed into a different shape to match the plant's current equipment. That would suggest the machinery's largely unchanged, and they can program new and old into it. (WHich they probably can do anyway for piloting new product.)

But that would mean we WILL see a Challenger ACR. I'll be really impressed if it can come close to Viper cornering.

HotCarNut, hmk123 and tlc like this.
  16. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Question: Why it would not be DOT legal to have the kind of roll cage / rear structure of the Giulia GTAm?
    It is not a complete roll-cage, it is in the rear and should not interfere with occupants since is only a 2 seats model.

If I remember well, the 5 or 6 points safety belts are illegal in U.S.A., but could be the traditiona l3 points aones left installed and than allow the client to install it when at circuit or in a private place?

Hereafter is the Giulia GTAm cage, well better to say rollbar, that I image has also structural utility for the rear.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ScramFan and KrisW like this.
  17. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Can anyone confirm or deny this? It seems ludicrous that a far safer form of restraint than the three-point belt would be illegal.

18. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

I honestly don’t know if the production car will have such a thing, but I just can’t imagine FCA would want to take on such a thing from a production standpoint. It would seem to me to create a lot more problems than it would solve.

It would be so much easier to nest out a Mopar part number on a a currently available safety item, than to try to sell it with one.

Also, having that thing back there pretty much guarantees you’re going to need a helmet. I would never drive a car that had a roll bar/cage without a helmet. I like my brains too much. Roll bars freaking hurt!

tlc and Dave Z like this.
  19. mopar22

Probably because it's more dangerous if used incorrectly which is way easier to do with 5/6 point

srtdrew, Tony K, jclick and 1 other person like this.
  20. BigDaddySRT

BigDaddySRT Well-Known Member

5/6 Point Belts are not illegal for street use in Texas. I have them installed in my 500 ABARTH, and I have Texas registration and inspection.

You guys are missing the key point to using 5/6 Point Harnesses... they must be properly installed and you cannot run an adjustable back seat with them or if you are involved in a collision you will crush your spine.

KrisW and MJAB like this.