AF: ACR Challenger | Page 5 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ACR Challenger

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Mr.Source, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Please
    Please
    Please
    Please
    Please
    Please
    Please
    Please
    Please
    Please
    Please
    Please

Take the NON Challenger ACR posts (valid as they may be) to a separate thread.

They are really clogging up this thread.

Thank you.

Please
    Please
    Please
    Please
    Please
    Please
    Please
    Please
    Please
    Please
    Please
    Please

Take the NON Challenger ACR posts (valid as they may be) to a separate thread.

They are really clogging up this thread.

Thank you.

burtstwins, UN4GTBL, tlc and 4 others like this.
  2. James A

James A Active Member

No FCA doesn't to my knowledge, software updates are all I'm aware of with FCA. HEMI tick is old news and MDS can cause issues but I'm not aware of it being a major issue. My family all have German or Asian luxury cars and are in service much more often than I ever was in the 6 years I've owned my Charger, always for mysterious computer problems that control this or that. My point is that those cars are seas of black soft-touch plastic dashes with fake plastic brushed metal panels or piano-black panels and cost 50,60,70,80 grand. If I was buying a 10 second $80k car, the last thing I would say is "Ya know, the Kia's radio buttons are better, I'll go with that". As long as you understand that you're in the minority with that thinking, most people would buy the Demon and not be concerned with the radio buttons or the soft touch dash.

I guarantee, that no matter what redesign we get, there will complaints about seas of black plastic even if it's lined with gold. That being said, I want an exterior refresh ASAP.

AND IM VERY EXCITED ABOUT AN ACR.... EVEN THOUGH I WONT BE BUYING ONE :D I'll say nothing else unrelated after this :)

Question, how much more weight saving will the ACR have over the Demon. Are we talking carbon fiber all over?

caine440 and ScramFan like this.
  3. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

After looking at Viper ACR data, and lap times for the Wesley Motorsports Challenger Hellcat Redeye car, I would estimate that the ACR-E is indeed faster in all scenarios, except for a straight up drag race.

It would go down to how you wanted to use the car, and if you were going racing, what classes you would be running.

James A likes this.
  4. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

I am not saying it would not make a decent DD car. You certainly could.

My idea of a good DD car would not have carbon ceramics and adjustable shocks. I’d save that for the weekend warrior.

What I am saying, is that this car is not being designed as a DD. It is not being designed as a fast/quick handling street car, or even a track day car.

It is being given the hardware and pedigree of a true racing car, sans the required safety equipment (which would be a legal nightmare to include on a street legal car).

I imagine many folks buying it, will treat it as a pure race car.

ScramFan, James A and hmk123 like this.
  5. James A

James A Active Member

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...ion-rumored-with-1-passenger-seat-138266.html

Thoughts? (I doubt it will look like that but it gave me a laugh)

6. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

It looks like the guy read the Mopar insiders article, and called it news. Obviously he didn’t read this thread.

James A likes this.
  7. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

I think you are over reacting

Satellite Saint, djsamuel and James A like this.
  8. Illegal Machine

Illegal Machine Active Member

I'm about that life. Give me back breaking suspension and squealing brakes all day.

9. Illegal Machine

Illegal Machine Active Member

The 6.4 (for some reason, especially in the Jeeps) are having lifters fail. The Gen V Viper had so many issues they extended the powertrain to 10 years for the '13s. The 9 speed transmissions have had tons of issues. Go take a peep at the EcoDiesel thread...it ain't pretty.

I had a C63 AMG. I know all about the dealer/service experience with German Luxury vehicles. That is DEFINITELY not a road a FCA customer wants to go down. HA!

Disagree. The exteriors of these cars are what drive their sales. They continue to tweak the exteriors to keep them fresh and grabbing eyeballs. Love or hate the widebody, they've garnered more attention than any taillight or bumper could hope for.

The exteriors of these cars have INCREDIBLE presence.

I think we can all agree, the ACR would be easier to build that the Demon was, right?

Just gut it, put a giant wing and front splitter, new brakes and tires. Go out and carve up some corners. Anyone who had done a hotlap on the SRT Track Experience knows what these cars are already capable of!

10. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

I will speculate these will be production limited. With two years (or more) of production run to allow trickle down, for let’s say the t/a model and new appearance packages.

on the flip side, probably won’t be long before there is a v6 widebody rear seat delete with a hellcat hood, carbon fiber splitter an acr rear wing.

11. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

V6? No.

Inline? If what I hear is true, the inline would certainly be making enough power.

#91 Muther, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Tony K likes this.
  12. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

For SRT to place the American Club Racer badge on the fender of car, requires that car to have an established racing pedigree before it is put up for sale. It’s not just a matter of bolting stuff on and stripping stuff out. That is what Ford and Chevy do, not SRT. Ralph takes the “Racing” part of SRT very seriously. He is a racer, and that is the major reason HE was put in charge of SRT.

If it is going to be an ACR, it must be completely sorted the day it it released.

Tony K and Satellite Saint like this.
  13. Mopar392

Mopar392 Well-Known Member

I would be interested in the A arms.
    My 2017 Scat Pack already came with Bilesten Coilovers, and I don’t think Bilesten offer a stiffer and lower one than the one I have.

14. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

It’s been a while, but I think the front A arms were custom pieces. Either that, or they had a custom piece made for the A arm to get done what they wanted to do. If you contact Wesley, they should work with you, on getting what you want.

They are running shorter stiffer springs. They are running an off the shelf Bilstein shock; while basically the same shock that is on the Viper, they are spec’d specifically for this application. They are running thicker, non-adjustable, ARB’s. If you are talented with metal, you can buy the parts to make an adjustable ARB, or have a shop do that. Then takes are Viper, but spec’d for the needs of this application. They are running brake cooling duct work. They have little adjustable pieces made for the rear to allow for adjustment.

Contact Wesley if you’re serious. They will get you anything you’d need to make the conversion. The only pieces that are not off the shelf are the suspension adjusters. They said that if anybody wants those, that they’d have to work out a deal.

Wesley will be the ship to go to once ACRs hit the streets. They’ll have all the set up info. And setting one of those up to really fly, will require a decent amount of race car knowledge.

What do you do if you are having corner entry oversteer, and corner exit understeer? What about swappage during high speed translations?

Also, I am hoping for an E-diff. That would be that cats meow.

15. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Ditto!

16. James A

James A Active Member

Wouldn't that mean that the current 5.7 also makes enough power (my understanding is that I6 makes 5.7 power)? But it doesn't get these performance packages.

The reviews I've seen say that the hellcat makes too much power even for the widebody and that the SP WB is a better-balanced car. Wouldn't the 5.7 also be good for that same reason? Bu tit gets no real performance love. Even the Super Track Pack went away. Whats the deal with that?

17. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

From what i have seen/heard the i6 can have just as much if not more power then the 392. If that is a case there could be a heavily detuned (maybe single turbo instead of dual if they go that route?)version for taking over the 5.7 if needed

ScramFan and James A like this.
  18. James A

James A Active Member

Whoa... Well they are certainly up to something.

19. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Well I'm sure FCA can make a turbo I-6 make more power than 485hp...but at what price in response or reliability?
    Even making 400hp with a single turbo is not exactly easy without either using a rather large turbo or cranking up the boost with a smaller turbo to preserve low end response. Or you go Volvo's route and use both, a supercharger for low end response and then a turbo for higher rpm power.
    Unless they have some new tech they are bringing out.

James A likes this.
  20. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

On the contrary. Getting 400 HP from a 3L inline 6 shouldn't be problematic at all, considering a BMW S54 (2000-08) was 3.2L NA and hit 338 HP, and that was 10 years ago without DI. (corrected HP). The current S55 turbo has variants from 405-493 bhp. The hottest N55 sibling is 365 bhp. That 55 series is a decade old. We've learned a few things since, I'm sure.

#100 Tony K, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019