AF: ACR Challenger | Page 6 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ACR Challenger

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Mr.Source, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Well-Known Member

Do you know whether the bilstine currently in use by the SRT cars uses a form of Mag ride suspension? I know it was patented by GM by its been licensed to many others.

2. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

The N54 a twin turbo 6 was not a reliable engine, thus the release of the N55 which was a single turbo...both engines rated at 300hp. The S55 is BMW's M division and yes it will make 493hp but needs water injection and was only avialable in a limited edition M car.
    The latest BMW turbo 6 is the B58 that is in the new Supra...HP only 330....Hmmmm...not anywhere near 400hp..

James A likes this.
  3. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

I’ve heard elsewhere on this forum that 525 was a good number. Could be twin turbo, could be turbo/super, could be hybrid assist. 48volt system opens a lot of doors, and reduces parasitic losses for better crank hp.

MoparJoe likes this.
  4. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

Fca is wringing every cent out of this platform. I wouldn’t put it past them. If not from the factory, I’m sure jimmy bolt-on will be doing it, and even have Buick portholes in the fender.
    With an “amg” badge to boot

5. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

It is no secret that the i6 is coming, that there will be more than one version, and one of those versions will be, let’s say, pleasantly powerful. My data isn’t HP/TQ numbers, but from what I know, I am somewhat surprised it did what I was told it did (from an extremely reliable source).

Would they ACR an i6? I don’t know, but I tend to doubt it. The Chally may not even get it. It would certainly be in the next version.

6. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

No idea. The Viper A R and the Wesley cars use very similar off the shelf Bilsteins for what it’s worth.

7. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

There will be more than one version of the S3 (or Super Slant Six as I am affectionately calling it). One of those versions makes enough power to blow the doors off the 5.7.

does that mean they’ll do an ACR of it? I am checking the “unlikely” box.

Any automotive journalist saying that the Hellcat makes too much power, WB or no, needs to turn in their typewriter, resign, and fo buy a bicycle to commute with.

I have driven them. I call the effect they have “permagrin”. Their isn’t a drug on the planet that can do what a Hellcat can do.

MoparJoe, tlc, hmk123 and 2 others like this.
  8. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

The Hemi 5.7 was not intended to be a performance engine. When you put more than 600 horse into it, or let it get too hot, it becomes extremely unreliable (as in total engine failure).

The engine gets hot, seats get loose, and they drop into pistons. The 5.7 will never go too much above the factory power levels it currently has. At least not without a major overhaul. Which doesn’t really make sense from a market and business standpoint. Thus the doubt everyone has had about its future. Suffice it to say there is stuff FCA hasn’t let anyone know yet.

Frankly, the 5.7 doesn’t have the juice required for an ACR treatment (trying to keep it on topic), and it Never will.

If I was going to do a performance Hemi, I’d hit the junkyards for a 6.4, or a 6.1. They’re a lot different, and a lot better than the 5.7.

Not putting the 5.7 down, I’m just saying it’s the bread and butter engine. It simply wasn’t intended for performance. That’s what the 6.1 and 6.4 are for.

Also, there is another variable in the mix, too, but that’s not totally sorted out yet, or at least it’s not from what I’ve heard.

That could figure into the whole ACR thing, too, I don’t know. Either way, I’m pretty darned excited.

#108 Muther, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    tlc, GasAxe, James A and 1 other person like this.
  9. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

The E-Diff is unlikely. If the Wesley cars have it, they are being very mum about it. That makes me think they don’t have it, which makes me think the production versions won’t have it.

It all comes down to the price point. Dana, ZF, and Eaton all make excellent versions, all are well know FCA vendors, and I think that the Hellcat Cherokee uses the Dana one (Inam sure Dave and the other experts can correct me if I am wrong about that).

So, stranger stuff has happened. If it had an eDiff, the only thing it’d be missing would be factory adjustable ARB’s and Brake ducting. I think that provisions have been made for brake ducting, though. Like in the Viper ACR-E, you just zip tie on the right size hose and Bob’s your uncle. They can’t legally include it in other words, but the hard part has already been done for you.

10. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

If I get one, and I’m not saying I am, I’d probably spec the best steel rotors available. Messing about with carbon ceramics is a PITA and expensive to boot, and contrary to what the journalist idiots say, they’ll do just fine. They are paid serious money, to make mountains into molehills, and molehills into mountains (count the number of GM cars, in articles and ads vs all other makes, in any issue of Motortrend if you don’t believe me).

For the kind of money there’re going to want, I could buy a year or two old Spec Miata off a team, and have enough cash to run a season, and have enough left over to get me well into the next season.

#110 Muther, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  11. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Another forum, another Mopar site. That's according to them.

ScramFan likes this.
  12. o_swas

Level III Supporter

And what might that variable be? :)

13. Chase300

The SRT Jeeps have E-diffs.

14. Chase300

I don't see it happening from the factory. The I-6 is the suppose 5.7L replacement and its going to need to run on 87 octane which is going to limit the power output to around 400 hp max. HO versions on 91+ octane 450+hp. That my guess having messed with turbo engines for a lot longer than I want to admit. I'm talking production engine in the car...not what the engine is ultimately capable of if you throw long term reliability, emissions and response on the street out the window.

James A likes this.
  15. Chase300

The 6.1 is a lot better...it has a forged crank. The 6.4L while a performance engine is not built much different from the 5.7L and is only better in the power output. I think the only thing it has over the 5.7L is oil jets to cool the pistons. But otherwise you're not going to get much more power out of it without replacing the bottom end.

James A likes this.
  16. Satellite Saint

Satellite Saint Active Member

I know someone getting almost 1000 whp out of their 5.7 but they replaced everything but the block, pistons and crank.

17. Chase300

Lots of 6.2L Hellcats making 1000hp....that is the engine you want to start with if your goal is building big power.

stroudtom likes this.
  18. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Thanks for this! Probably very telling that its first application was in a RAM1500... And for a daily driver it is still a nice sounding engine in the Challenger, especially with the Mopar catback....

19. Satellite Saint

Satellite Saint Active Member

I know several people with 345's and they all love them

Panterasr9, James A and hmk123 like this.
  20. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

Really? Everything I've read says the 392 has a forged crank as well. I also recall sodium filled exhaust valves, hollow intake valves, floating pins, factory oil cooler, and the squirters you mentioned. Plus the better flowing Apache heads should help make power easier. I've heard the pistons are a weak spot if you are going FI but otherwise it seems like a pretty stout motor.

MoparJoe likes this.