AF: ACR Challenger | Page 8 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ACR Challenger

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Mr.Source, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

There is nobody I know of planning to run Challengers in IMSA, for now or in the foreseeable future.

The newest Viper ACR is ok for SCCA Trans Am GT and Super GT. The Challenger ACR would, I assume, be acceptable in those classes, too. I know of several parties “looking into” running Mopars in those classes. Several ACR-X’s are run in those classes, and they are extremely competitive. The newer ACR would be even faster. I think the leap to the new car is too much for some teams, as it isn’t race ready. Fast it would be, though.

I doubt anyone would run the Challenger ACRs, unless they were allowed serious weight reductions, and other mods to bring them into a competitive balance within the class.

If I were to get back into racing, and I was going to do it in Mopars, I honestly don’t know what I would do. There is simply nothing out there to run if you’re a low buck circuit racer, except ratted out Neons and SRT-4’s.

This ACR will be great, it what Dodge really needs is a carp load of budget door bangers out there, in the tradition of the SRT-4 and the Neon ACR. Something a guy paying for college kids and saving for retirement can run on a budget.

I suppose I could go the Lemons route, but that has absolutely no interest for me.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  2. Chebby7

Chebby7 Active Member

RIP Avenger

UN4GTBL and codypet like this.
  3. BigDaddySRT

BigDaddySRT Well-Known Member

Lemons route.... no thanks. I don't like that group.

Another NEON, NEON ACR, SRT NEON, SRT Caliber... I've given thoughts to it, but I want a RWD performance car.

Let's face it.... it will be my midlife crisis car. I want the attention, I deserve it, and I want to be able to go fast!!!!! Viper ACR checks all those boxes and many more.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  4. Illegal Machine

Illegal Machine Active Member

GT500 embargo lifted today.....uhhh.....yeah. I always felt the ZL1 was never the counterpunch it was supposed to be to the Hellcats.

The GT500 is the new bar. 10.6 @ 133mph in a straight line. Looks like pretty incredible performance in the corners as well.

HotCarNut likes this.
  5. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

C&D predicts 11.0 in the quarter as the 10.6 number was with a properly prepped drag strip.
    EPA was pretty low @ 14/12/18. Not that someone would use it for long trips...but you at least can with a Hellcat and get somewhat decent mileage out of a tank of fuel. Must be low gearing like the ZL-1 too as top end only 180?

wtxiceman likes this.
  6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Was that a certified drag time, as the Hellcat’s was?

7. Illegal Machine

Was the Redeye's 10.8 ever "certified"? I thought that was just the original Hellcat on drag radials (then the Demon, of course).

Either way, journalists and bloggers were trapping 130+ all day long, it appears.

8. Chase300

From Autoweek…"Later in the day I head to the drag strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway for 11-some-second passes at about 128 mph. Like the modern Mustang GTs, the GT500 has a line lock feature when in drag mode, which holds the front brakes and also softens the rear suspension, similar to the system on the Dodge Challenger Demon and Hellcat"
    Interesting it has drag mode which also softens the rear shocks.

HotCarNut likes this.
  9. Illegal Machine

10. Illegal Machine

Obvious Cons, the price (especially with the CF package) is about $95K, but you certainly get your money's worth with the CF wheels. Then....does anyone trust a Ford dual clutch? HA!

11. hmk123

Level III Supporter

In this case you just need to trust Tremec. :)

But it would be great if Dodge would give Ford a run for its money...

HotCarNut likes this.
  12. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Ford doesn't make the transmission.... that would be like you saying you don't trust fca transmissions even though they have nothing to do with the design.

If the car is consistently running low 11s and high 10s it's already starting off better then the challenger which is a giant pain in the [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms] to run

13. MoparGuy413

MoparGuy413 Active Member

In red - not gearing, FoMoCo speed limited it to 180

14. Illegal Machine

It was a joke with all of the PowerShift dual clutch complaints.

hmk123 likes this.
  15. Chase300

hmk123 likes this.
  16. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Definitely the Hellcat and Demon. Not sure about the Redeye.

17. Chase300

You have to take all these journalist tests with a grain of salt.
    We don't know the air or track conditions, the prep of the cars...were they all running the CF wheels and upgraded tire? Were they production tune spec? Easy to bump up power on a boosted vehicle and no one know any different.
    Once they are in hands of consumers we will know just how good the new Stang and C8 really are. I'm betting both have some teething issues the first year or two of production.

hmk123 and ScramFan like this.
  18. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Looks like Venom doesn’t kill Demons after all. And a Redeye should have a good chance on the drag strip and still gets 22mpg (on the highway, not the strip) unlike the GT500 with 18mpg and only a 16 gallons fuel tank.
    Welcome Ford fans. Finally. And enjoy ADM while Mopar fans now get $10 off each horsepower. Locally I have now seen Charger Hellcats for around $56k. Just amazing...

19. BigDaddySRT

BigDaddySRT Well-Known Member

I thought people had been warned? This is the Challenger ACR thread.

20. Illegal Machine

I get it. The GT500 is literally the direct competitor to the alleged Challenger ACR. Redeye power in a straight line, with the aero and weight reduction to carve corners.

We were discussing what this car is benchmarked against. This is the new benchmark.

HotCarNut and Chase300 like this.