AF: Adjusting extreme negative camber | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adjusting extreme negative camber

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by Todd Russell, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Todd Russell

Todd Russell New Member

Got a 74 Plymouth Valiant Brougham with severe negative camber. The inside inch of the front tires wears out very quickly, tires leaning in @ the tops when viewed head on. Spent hundreds at tire shop & problem still there. They said they'd have it aligned on the rack, but when they drove it around & put it back on the rack, the car was out of alignment again! Said they couldn't figure out why. No more $ to throw away, so I want to adjust the camber myself. How do I proceed? I'm guessing I can adjust the upper control arms, but how? Do I need to adjust the longitudinal torsion bars too? If so how? I have a Haynes manual & little knowledge in this area, just teaching myself as I go along as I can't afford a real mechanic. So any help or advice is greatly appreciated! Btw, this is my 1st post- Thanks!

2. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Take a hard look at the lower control arm bushings; the ones directly in line with the Torsion bars. They can be hard to see, trust me.

3. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

Yes, most likely lower control arm bushings. Also check upper and lower ball joints for play.

4. TWX

TWX DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
    Level 2 Supporter

If it's that bad it's probably time to just rebuild the front suspension. Upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman arm, bushings.

I had a similar problem with my Cordoba and that effort paid off.

Had I had a shop do it, it would have been about $800 ten years ago. We did it ourselves because my dad had experience with his '73 Charger SE. It certainly wasn't fun, and getting the upper ball joints out was a real pain (leave the arms on the car, use either a breaker bar with cheater bar or else air) but doable.