Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed: dealer stealing from customers, selling factory upgrades and 3rd party parts

Discussion in 'Car Dealer Hangout' started by AsherGrey, Dec 8, 2015.

1. AsherGrey

AsherGrey New Member

In need of some advice. I warn you it's a novel and I apologize for the length. It's worth the read. Iwent to my local dodge dealership Friday. I have bought two cars from here is the past 16 months to include a 2015 charger sxt plus se with ral package with about every upgrade worth having. So needless to say I have spent a good amount here and have a good relationship with the salesman I've used both times. I decided to buy my wife a 2016 journey crossroad plus loaded to the brim because she needed a nicer car that was better setup for her and my 1 year old daughter. I find the car and it's got everything we wanted and a couple other things I didn't really care about but were preconfigured. The only must have equipment was the backup camera. The dealer agreed to throw it in for free and it would be installed the following Monday. Satisfied both parties were getting a good deal we closed it and all was well. Wife loved the car and was in the garage or reading her user manual that whole night. Monday rolls around and the salesmen who was supposed to call to tell me the time the service dept would do the install is yet to call. At noon I call him and asks what was going on. He said they set me up with a 3rd party audio install store about 45 mins away for my install. Confused how a 3rd party could be installing mopar certified equipment and the warranty still cover it. He tells me the 2016 cameras are not even in the ordering system from dodge yet so they are setting me up with a guy who "fixes" the 2015 camera to talk to the uconnect system via a custom software he's designed.

So I happen to write software and code as a career and am very experienced. The first thought was as soon as u connect updates this guys software will need patched to work. In addition this very well could cause my camera to not work point forward. Not to mention it's not what I was assured of, not what I paid for in the buyers contract and would be a subpar half assed solution. I relay this to my salesmen who goes and gets his sales manager. This asshole tells me my paper doesn't say mopar and any camera Is them satisfying the deal. I explained why the camera is not adequate and the reasons why. He calls the software guru and asks me to explain my concern so he can educate me. I gladly take the phone and nick who sounds half asleep and too busy. I ask about his software and he says it's all custom code he wrote on his Mac. I ask him what language it's written in (Python, Java, ruby) and he says English. I ask again saying what type of script he used. Nick then tells me he doesn't have any custom software, he simply cuts into the dodge video harness and attaches a 3rd party modulator. He also doesn't use mopar cameras they use ones you can get from Walmart for 50 bucks. It doesn't interface with uconnect it actually just uses the power source to take control of the monitor since it's wired on the same fuse as the reverse lights. I ask nick about voiding the electrical warranty or possibly frying the ecu. He hangs up on me. The sales manger is dumbfounded and says he has never installed an after purchase camera in dealer and every one that has been bought in the past 5 years went to this shop. So to recap, charged for mopar or factory parts, they pay some jack [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms] less, pocket the difference and the customer gets non certified parts that are sub quality and may short the car or fail. He then tells me that they don't have the same car I bought on the lot and the closest they have is one with some extra add ons that'll cost $1400 more than the other vehicle. My trade is already gone to the shop to have a transmission swapped because it was needed. I can either keep car 1 without any way to have a dodge camera installed, take car two and hand over 1400 to this prick who insulted me and said its your car regardless and mopar don't matter, or get my trade in back and pay for whatever repairs they found needed. I took car two paid the extra and thought this would be as simple as a phone call to the GM who was out to make it right. I call and ask for my call back and get told he's in tomorrow. I also contact dodge corporate to report a dealer who is using bait and switch to steal money from customers and also dump subpar non oem components that irreversibly destroy the wiring harness of brand new vehicles and leave them at risk for equipment failure and potential safety risks. He informs me that it's on me as the consumer to make sure it's oem. Regardless if it's at a dealer parts department and ordered out of the dodge book and paid at the package rate. It's not their policy to concern themselves with dealerships practices regardless of the risk or overtly shady practice. He also went on to let me know mops parts are the only parts covered under warranty so this matter isn't really in his scope. Waited for the GM to call all day and I hear nothing. Call and am told he's out. I cal an hour later and he is not around. 2 more calls later and nothing. No call from this asshole all day which leads me to believe he is aware and supports this type of behavior. At this point, what do I do?

TLDR: got lied to at dealer and when looking into it find out they have screwed hundreds of customers and also left me no option but to pay more to get what was promised. Dodge doesn't care, GM won't call me back.

2. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

Seen this many times in the 70-80s, even worked at one for a while but quit as I couldn't stand the abuse people would give in stores when when my uniform, even though I had nothing to do with any sales policies and didn't support a lot of the cheap aftermarket crap they sold. I would report them to the BBB and on the internet as there are many sites to let people beware of a bad dealer. The only other thing is try contacting the actual dealer owner to see if that's his/her real sales policies as sometimes GM's do these on their own.

Doug D and AsherGrey like this.
  3. AsherGrey

AsherGrey New Member

About 5 years ago it was a respected family owned dealership that was part of a network of 6-8 in the area. The sold all but two of them including this one to Penske. Not a whole lot I can do going that route I don't think. I'll try the Bbb and Internet though. Thanks again!

4. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

You may want to contact your state's attorney general. Depending on the state there are laws governing "consumer rights".

Bob Lincoln and AsherGrey like this.
  5. AsherGrey

AsherGrey New Member

For me the matter is resolved, granted I got screwed out of 1400 and treated like crap. It's the other folks who don't get the impact or who are not aware of what they are doing both past and future. Some of them could loose a good chunk of money if not something more serious because of a shady dealer trying to semantics game of the due sheet doesn't say mopar specifically of have the exact model or part listed so I'm in the clear.

6. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

There are vehicles that don't support factory backup cameras. My 2012 Challenger was one of them, so is my 2015 Jeep Wrangler. In both cases the aftermarket offered options (I used lockpick) to add a reverse camera to the vehicle. It is plug and play and the device costs more than you might think. The only issue in my opinion is the quality of the camera mounted with the aftermarket solutions. I can't speak on what is available for the Journey.

7. AsherGrey

AsherGrey New Member

I've heard awesome things about lock pick. The journey supports it and in fact the vehicle I paid more for has it on it. It's a 500 package option that adds back up camera and rear sensors. Or it is paired with navigation in a 1200 package.

8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

If it's owned by Penske, write to Penske corporate.
    In any case write to Chrysler so they know, even if they can't do anything.

Doug D likes this.
  9. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I have seen wireless/bluetooth backup cameras. They are spliced into and powered off the reverse lights and aren't that invasive.
    Hard wired cameras would communicate over the CAN interior bus. Neatness of wiring splices and installation are a must.
    http://tucrrc.utulsa.edu/DodgeCAN.html
    The deal should not have been 'said and done' until when you took delivery. There was a lack of communication here. If they had to send it out for an accessory, then they should have gotten your OK first. Did you read what you signed?

Dave Z likes this.
  10. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

I'd say hire a lawyer, but if your sales contract didn't specify Mopar specific components backed by the factory warranty then you're pretty much screwed. Calling the BBB, the AG and writing Penske corporate a letter might put enough pressure on them to do something. You can also go to DealerRater.com and write your experience and rate them accordingly. You can even name the names of the people you dealt with. They don't like bad press.

11. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

A suggestion: Do NOT do the accusations of wrong-doing, naming names and 'bad press' BEFORE trying to resolve this with them.