Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on buying JKU

Discussion in 'Wrangler, CJ, Wagoneer, other traditional Jeeps' started by Stomper, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Stomper

Stomper Well-Known Member

Hello!! A single mom friend of mine is looking at purchasing a used JKU for her 18 year old son. I am guessing whatever she purchases will be at least 2 years old. That being said any advice on specific years to avoid or to look for, or any input on known issues with JKUs so I can relay them to her would be appreciated. Thanks!!

2. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

New interiors started for the 2011s, 2012 and up has the Pentastar V6 which is preferable. No major issues other than the short window for engine head issues that is covered by warranty and easily checked with the vin. Can't think of any other big things to check.

Stomper likes this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

If it's an automatic, find one with the 3.73 gears. I went from a 3.8 with the good gears to a 3.6 with the base gears and was very disappointed. Now I have a 3.6 with 3.73 gears and it's much better.

Stomper likes this.
  4. Stomper

Thanks for the info!!

I will make sure we check that, thanks!!

5. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

My niece just mentioned that she and her husband were looking to get a Wrangler too, but she mentioned a 2010. I'm kind of hesitant to give too much advice though because I often get the response "I know." Ugh...no...you don't know. Lol

Stomper likes this.
  6. Stomper

Lol that is true!!

Zagnut27 likes this.
  7. lena2

lena2 New Member

Do you consider a car from 2011/2012 as old one or still okay? I am curious how do you see that. :)

Stomper likes this.
  8. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Ad-Free Member

@Stomper - 3.73 gear will only be beneficial if they intend to put tires on the Wrangler any larger than stock size in my opinion. Narrowing a search for a used Wrangler down by ensuring it has the max-tow gear ratio of 3.73 is going to make your search extremely difficult. Also you will need to decode the VIN at a Chrysler dealership to check its option report and be certain it has those gears.

With regards to pre-owned Wrangler - 2012+ is a must due to Pentastar power and economy. Be mindful the Wrangler is among the least depreciating vehicles in the world, and pre-owned ones tend to catch a pretty penny. If your friend is financing their purchase, it may be worthwhile to explore a new option based on lower interest rates, full warranty, and the knowledge the Wrangler has not been rat-bagged.

Stomper likes this.
  9. valiant67

Level III Supporter

I've had stock tires with and without the 3.73 gears. Without the 3.73 gears the engine runs out of pep climbing steep hills. That was my issue here in the GA mountains which aren't that big of mountains.

With the right gears, the 3.8 powered Wrangler wasn't as bad as the difference in horsepower ratings would imply it was. In fact, I thought my 2007 3.8 with the towing gears pulled as strong as my 2015 with the economy gears, but the 2016 with the towing gears trounced the others.

Stomper likes this.
  10. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Member

Just say away from the 3.8L v6 with auto transmission. The auto trans (42RLE) used with the 3.8L is very prone to failure. The auto behind the 3.6L is OK. If it is a manual all years are fine. All JKs are prone to water leaks, but the soft top has much less problems than the 3 piece hard top (Freedom Top). Water leaks and 42RLE failures are the biggest problems we see at the dealership.

Stomper likes this.
  11. valiant67

Level III Supporter

I've had the 3.8 in a minivan and a Jeep Wrangler and put lots of miles on them. The only time it used any oil was from a bad PCV valve - a new aftermarket one. A Mopar PCV valve dropped the oil use back down to nothing measurable between changes.

Stomper likes this.
  12. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Yeah, that's kinda weird. I had never heard that before about oil consumption, but then again I've never had anything with the 3.8. My TJ had the 4cyl and my Liberty has a 3.7.

Stomper likes this.
  13. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

FYI, I removed a member with an inappropriate username and three identical complaints in this one thread.

14. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

I just assumed they didn't know what they were doing because of the three posts. Weird...

15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Just very very angry

Which I can understand, but don't take it out on us, right?

Zagnut27 and Crawdaddy like this.
  16. Stomper

I do not think my friend would consider that old, not sure what year she may be looking for we have not talked about that aspect yet.

17. Stomper

Thank you all for your replies and input!!