Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Please 2004 Durango where to start

Discussion in 'Projects, mods, restoration' started by hockey21, Aug 12, 2017.

1. hockey21

hockey21 Member

So my husband convinced me to invest 800 in a 2004 durango that looked nice but had some mechanical issues that of coarse the gentlemen we got it from had NO idea what he was doing. His story was his wife lost the key to the durango so they used the metal one. Well he never went to get a new key cause it worked ya until the anti theft went off and locked down car and wouldnt start. So my husband said to me i can fix it should be easy. ya right now we are going on a couple years and lets say i am annoyed he gave up on it and well i am sorry it is a big paper weight in my garage. I just can not give up on it that easy. We took to dealership to have them reprogram but the couldnt due to what the previous gentlemen did. They said fuses are out and wiring disconnected. Now that i have done so much research and well my mechanic is just done with it. So he went thru the wiring and got most of it working again all but i think he said back blinkers. Some relays are still out but we know that ones gone are like for horn and so we know he pulled that due to it going off he also disassembled the drivers door which is still apart since we are not sure all the parts are their. But with no key it dont matter i believe he told us the ECM was out not sure anymore. I just dont know where to start and where to go. I have looked on ebay for parts and found a 04 Dodge Durango 5.7L ECU ECM Engine Control Computer Module Key Set 56029039AF. But I am not sure if that will work. I read the description and kinda sounds like it would. Please if anyone can help me with links to diagrams for wiring or fuse box or anything. i would appreciate it please i just want it for hockey with 4 kids it would be nice

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. I would not replace the PCM just yet, the old one may be fine and you may get into deeper trouble if you just plug a different PCM in to try.
    The factory VTS security/alarm option comes with a special transponder (SKIM) key and a secret 4-digit SKIM code. The code resides in the PCM and in the BCM and must match. They do a 'handshake' at key-on to allow the vehicle to start. If you change either the PCM or BCM, then the code will not match and you will have a no-start.
    I imagine that the driver's door was apart to try and defeat the key lock cylinder switch to eliminate the alarm from going off if that was the original owners problem.
    It is difficult having to undo someone else's work and put it back the way it is supposed to be, but this is necessary in order to diagnose the original problem. It's too bad that you found this out after you bought it.
    If everything can be put back together the way it should be, then the dealer may be able to see what is up with the programming or original VTS issue. You may have to begin by getting a factory service manual for the vehicle in order to figure the wiring out and to verify it is correct.