AF: After all, the 300 might well see a new light | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After all, the 300 might well see a new light

Discussion in 'Rumors and General Chrysler Discussion' started by Mr.Source, Sep 6, 2020.

1. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

Sorry Jan...OOPS!...I mean Opel.

Blame it on Damn-Liar-Benz. Thinking about things German reminds me of The Occupation.:D

#21 77 Monaco Brougham, Sep 7, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Tony K likes this.
  2. 77 Monaco Brougham

True enough. But then, there would be no punch-line to that joke.:D

mrkovash and Zagnut27 like this.
  3. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

A rebadge would be too obvious. Is that what would truly save Chrysler? IMO it would only tarnish the brand even more.
    If it was something thought from the start to be unique but sharing components, maybe it would work. But just a lazy rebadge?
    The DS9 shares a LOT with the Peugeot 508. Look at the differentiation PSA achieves from similar cars. In the mid term they can do something that keeps the Chrysler identity better than a lazy rebadge. Those are GM trademark.

jorisr, pumadog, danbek and 4 others like this.
  4. mrkovash

mrkovash Active Member

Well yeah true but picture this: A Dodge Dynasty with a lot more power

5. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

I clicked on this really hoping there was a link to some evidence or a source, but sadly there is none. :( Just wishful thinking. Nothing more than smoke.

But yes, Give Chrysler new sedans! I need to buy a sedan again from an American company please.

6. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

The PSA EMP2 platform is supposed to be very versatile, and since it is used on a number of different vehicles, I believe it. Take the Chrysler Mantis concept (styling proposal, whatever,) put it on the EMP2 platform with the 2-liter GME four cylinder, and give it a traditional American interior.

I'm sure the DS9 is a great car, but Chrysler can't afford to market a sedan that looks like a Lincoln copy. Replacing the 300 with a smaller front drive sedan will be a repeat of what happened to Cadillac in 1985. Concepts like the Mantis and Portal are different enough from the 300 to avoid being accused of being a direct replacement.

7. 77 Monaco Brougham

With all the damage inflicted these past 40+ years, I'm not sure that's even possible anymore.:D

AvengerGuy and Deckard_Cain like this.
  8. 77 Monaco Brougham

If it's all the same to you, I'd rather not picture a Dodge Dynasty at all.

As many others here have said from time to time...styling is subjective, but, to me, the 'EEK Era' Dynasty / New Yorker / Imperial line represented a real low point in the company's design language. That whole 1,001 variations on the K car had really run its course.

On the other hand...there is a tender place in my failing diseased heart for the first generation LH cars. That cab-forward design language was such a bracing, cool, refreshing breeze compared to the suffocating staleness that permeated the 'EEK Era'.

As for the 'a lot more power' sentiment...I'm 100% with you on that one! As successful as the LH cars were...I always thought they would have sold a whole lot better had there been a V8 option avilable...especially for the New Yorker / LHS line.

P.S. All Wheel Drive wouldn't have hurt either!;)

#28 77 Monaco Brougham, Sep 8, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    jimboy, djsamuel, Tony K and 4 others like this.
  9. tabutler

tabutler Active Member

The coupe styling of sedans with the lack of room and difficulty of entry/exit has ruined the sedan segment. I believe if the cab-forward designs like the LH platform were still used we would have not seen the decline in sedan sales. Build sedans with a high H point, more upright position, and maximize the space. I think buyers are looking for the maximum room and comfort. That is why they are turning to CUVs. Comfortable sedans would be right in Chrysler's wheelhouse. Leave the low-slung coupe styling to the specialty sports cars.

Quambi, somber, Tony K and 5 others like this.
  10. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

^^^^ Exactly! ^^^^

11. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

Styling is in the eye of the beholder. Yes the LHS had great interior room thats the main reason I said the dynasty, but your right the LHS is the right sedan for interior room, you could even put a lawnmower in the trunk, but it sat a little low for easy entry/exit.
    Eveyone loves a v8 but the v8 is dead except for a few niche cars. There could be a turbo v6 for the sports crowd.

mrkovash likes this.
  12. Mopar392

Mopar392 Well-Known Member

Maybe FCA/PSA (I can’t pronounce or spell the new company name), will go at the 2 audience of the Full-size buyers. Charger for the RWD performance crowd, and a FWD Full-size Chrysler for the crowd who likes the like of Avalon or Buick.
    Or DS9/300 could be targeted against Lexus ES and Acura TLX

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  13. Donte Lindsey

Donte Lindsey Active Member

That would be a great idea. The Manta concept was RWD based I believe and from what I read they were building nothing but Dodge's at the plant in the next few years and it will be using the Georgio platform. I think that if they are using that platform for the next generation of Dodge why not Chrysler? Even if they don't build the car in Canada they can wherever the Alfa Romeo's are built. I assume that plant is underutilized.

14. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

15. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Active Member

Does the market want a new 300, though. There is a case for the Charger and Challenger with strong sales, but 300 sales are declining.

I think even if Chrysler were given the green light on a new RWD sedan it wouldn't be called 300.
    I think the nautical sounding "Atlantic" would go with the Pacifica and Voyager nameplates.

I don't think it would be in Chrysler's best interest to do another FWD midsized sedan, unless it is a game changer...a rebadged Peugeot isn't that.

16. mrkovash

mrkovash Active Member

I dont know. I love the LH cars, but the Dynasty/New Yorker/Imperial are some of the best designed K cars (yes i know...good design and k car should not be in the same sentence.). I love them because they are one of the last of the great square american land bardge. Chrome everywhere and classic lines.

tlc, ehaase and voiceofstl like this.
  17. mrkovash

mrkovash Active Member

So expect a copy of the DS9 to compete against it using Mitsu powertrain from the 90s in a few years.

Go ahead and google landwind...

18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The shortfall of the "large" K cars was they were narrow. Long and skinny which made then good 4 passenger cars, but not the 6 passenger comfort one might find in a contemporary FWD Buick or Oldsmobile.

#38 valiant67, Sep 9, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    ehaase, Tony K and 77 Monaco Brougham like this.
  19. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

AMEN !!!

20. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

They look just like any of the other 'swoopy' sedans out there.

tabutler likes this.