AF: After all, the 300 might well see a new light | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After all, the 300 might well see a new light

Discussion in 'Rumors and General Chrysler Discussion' started by Mr.Source, Sep 6, 2020.

1. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

For a car like that to have a chance at success, it will have to borrow the Tesla formula, which is technical wizardry and performance. This is what Toyota is doing with the RAV4 Prime model. It is rumored Toyota will do this with other vehicles as well.

The car must have a Chrysler face and can't be called the 300. The doghouse console has to go, unless the vehicle will offer the B-Series Cummins inline as an option. The 2.0T GME should offer enough power for the IC engine. The batteries and electric motors will have to be better than what the DS9 is offering. The vehicle must match the Chevy Volt PHEV for batteries only range. The RAV4 Prime and Ford Escape PHEV do this. Those vehicles along with the departed Volt have established customer expectations for today's plugin hybrids.

Now the problem becomes, will a performance PHEV Chrysler possibly bump up against Alfa and Maserati hybrids in the marketplace. Certainly the GME 2.0T used in the Maserati hybrids also has an e-Charger with the Multi-Air valve system. The IC power is much greater than the 2.0T presently found in the American Jeep products.

The Chevy Volt offered an acceptable combination of electrification and reduced range anxiety, winning a lot of fans. Where will these Volt fans find a replacement?

AvengerGuy likes this.
  2. aspenandenclave12

aspenandenclave12 Active Member

Honestly I like how the DS9 looks, including that Chrysler-badged render someone else put here a few posts go. It doesn't seem TOO French, at least for me. I think it would do well enough here, but maybe not as a 300. Concorde or Atlantic would be good names for it though.

As for rebadging and whether or not it'd hurt Chrysler's image, the minivans have always had the same basic body but with different fronts/rears. And those are considered Chrysler stalwarts. So I wouldn't worry too much.

3. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

You've just hit on what I think was the biggest drawback of the entire EEK era.

In the end...(and they certainly tried hard)...it was impossible to force the K platform to become all vehicles to all customers.
    You just couldn't legitimately call Dynasty / New Yorker / Imperial 'Full-Size' sedans.
    The most pathetic attempt at this was when they tried to stretch the K enough to call it the 'Executive Limousine'.

I am grateful for the K having saved the former Chrysler Corporation, but it was impossible to consider Chrysler a full-line company when all they had were the EEK's and the aging M Body.

#43 77 Monaco Brougham, Sep 9, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  4. Donte Lindsey

Donte Lindsey Active Member

You could be right about the 300 but I think the market does have a place for a full-size Chrysler sedan if positioned differently from the Charger. Make it a more premium offering. I read a lot of blogs where people have traded in BMW's and Mercs for 300 because they are cheaper to maintain and offer a certain level of luxury. Midsize sedans are a different story.

AmbassadorSST, Tony K, tlc and 3 others like this.
  5. humdrum

humdrum Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Something close to this is what I could see the 300 evolve into with a Hemi and rear wheel drive. I am not a fan of the of the gangster , slab sided look anymore.. But that's just me.

6. sonico

sonico Active Member

if Maserati went up to Ferraris market
    Alfa Romeo is moving to where Maserati used to be

can Chrysler move to Premium ? I mean we need an American competitor to Caddy and Lincoln to play against the ones as Audi and such.

leaving the dodge as sport brand. jeep and ram as they are.

just my 2 cents

7. Cajun300C

Cajun300C Well-Known Member

It needs to evolve from it's roots, not some car that looks like all other cars.

jimboy likes this.
  8. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

If Chrysler wants to be a premium brand they must put the 300 on a hiatus for a complete generational change. The replacement must have a rear/AWD layout like the current one.

There is room for a EMP2 based sedan model along side a rear drive premium sedan. Chrysler desperately needs crossovers, including a new PT Cruiser. I also would use one of the larger 3-row PSA utility vehicles as a blueprint for a two row Chrysler, with American styling, drivetrain, and interior.

Cadillac has fallen to Chrysler's market slot. Cadillac no longer has a large sedan and the XT6 SUV completes against against the Hyundai/Kia 3-rows in the Chrysler Pacifica price ranges. The Escalade nears a six figure price tag, but every time I drive one I'm turned off by the Chevy truck parts which show through. The Lincoln sedans are on life support, but the Lincoln SUVs have more class than anything Cadillac offers and more stature then the smaller German premium offerings. The Navigator dwarfs any German offering in its price range, so it justifies its existence with interior accommodations, technology and towing ability.

BTW, in the absence of the large Cadillac sedan, BMW has been selling fleet special sedans to the rental car companies as a replacement. Basically, BMW has moved down into Cadillac's slot as Cadillac slides down.

djsamuel likes this.
  9. Donte Lindsey

Donte Lindsey Active Member

If Chrysler becomes a premium brand again they cant offer the PT Cruiser. They would have to raise the price quite a bit and I doubt the people who purchased them before would want to pay at least 28k for a Cruiser. I think the brand can offer both fwd and rwd like you mentioned with the PSA platforms and the Georgio platform. It just seems as if FCA does not want to invest properly in the brand. Hopefully PSA will do differently and make it all make sense.

10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Not seeing it.

Alfa is probably going to be yanked or restrained, using PSA as an excuse. Yes, I liked the Stelvio and Giulia and 4C, but sales are not where they need to be to make any of it viable, and as our Italian contributors pointed out, the 8C's already been moved to Maserati.

Maserati is a grand touring brand despite having the new Alfa 8C renamed and tacked on. It doesn't compete with Ferrari as far as I can tell.

Chrysler cannot move to Cadillac/Lincoln levels without twenty years of transition. Heck, even Caddy and Lincoln are having a problem there.

What could happen is moving the DS brand here...

#50 Dave Z, Sep 10, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    AmbassadorSST likes this.
  11. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

There is only one reason why sales of the 300 are falling.
    FCA fault, they are responsible for that huge mistake...

HoboChangba, jimboy and Donte Lindsey like this.
  12. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Charger is better and I must that its exterior design looks better and more modern.

13. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Active Member

For Chrysler to be relevant it has to be unique...the Tesla of Stellantis without the quality problems that current Tesla fanatics overlook.

A full electric line up consisting of a the Pacifica/Voyager, Atlantic (RWD Sedan), a few crossovers and an Imperial (full size SUV).

Chrysler UK and jimboy like this.
  14. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Active Member

Moving the 8C to the Dodge brand as the new Viper would of been a better idea.

The Escalade and Navigator sell well...its everything else that Caddy and Lincoln sell that nobody wants.
    Chrysler offering an uber land yacht full sized Imperial SUV off of the excellent RAM 1500 chassis would be a really good start...a Chrysler Imperial version of the GMC Yukon XL Denali to the Jeep Grand Wagoneer version of the Cadillac Escalade.

Chrysler UK and jimboy like this.
  15. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Personal opinion. Mine is Charger looks silly.

16. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Just look around. I mean at other sedan. Charger has a classic look, look which is welcome in every era and at every continent. Sideline is a classic from 50's if not 30's.
    In person it looks classy. I was Scat Pack few weeks ago here in my hometown and it looks classy.

On the other hand is 300 which has old look and is unmistakable American which isn't bad but has interesting design for limited amount of time. I don't remember that for example 300M such design language, actually at the time it was "the most European" of all US developed sedans.

17. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

I agree completely, yet another fail by FCA. I have pushed for the DT to have a Chrysler variant as the first one off the architecture. This is exactly what Chrysler and N/A need. Sell it as an Aspen, or Town and Country, or 300DT, load it up with comfort and convenience, and sell for $55,000 -65,000 grand, every one will walk out the door, guaranteed! Then add a $85000 - 105,000 Jeep version, trail rated, the works,... that way the whole market is covered, Jeep is happy, Chrysler is saved, and FCA doesn't have to downmarket Jeep for N/A. It can compete wth MB and LR on an equal footing world wide, leaving Chrysler the mainstream people mover space in N/A. Seems pretty simple to me, don't know why FCA has to make it so hard?

18. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

Interesting from, I assume, a European perspective that the Charger is a more desirable design. I personally much prefer the 300's looks to the Charger's. The recent front re-design on the charger is very generic, IMO, while the rear seems a bit adolescent, somehow. The 300 to me has always had a very classic, almost pre-war style which looks good in every generation. it is reminiscent of the way MB kept their basic body styles for several generations. I think I will always love the 2005 - 2020 versions of the 300. the Charger, not so much for me.

cdjr77, tabutler, page2171 and 3 others like this.
  19. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

Disagree with the first part of your post, agree with the second. Offering a $200k Dodge with a forced induction V6 would appeal to a very limited if not nonexistent crowd.

Ryan and Tony K like this.
  20. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

If not for the price, maybe. New Viper, maybe not, but a new name perhaps, or an old engine name (FirePower). Thing is, it's really too $$$ for Dodge, and Dodge is not a global brand now. Neither is Chrysler. Alfa Romeo tries. It's in the Maserati price class.

Tony K likes this.