Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ain't nothin' right with the radio ...

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by BlackSheep01, Nov 24, 2017.

1. BlackSheep01

BlackSheep01 Active Member

The truck is a 1994 2500 Ram 4x2 V-10 automatic. The radio is the five-band-equalizer, cassette-player, AM/FM version. The problem is that the radio ... apparently thinks it has a tape stuck in it, so it won't play. There's no tape in there -- hasn't been since I bought it in March, but every single time I turn the key on, the tape ejector makes a noise like it's stripping gears. So Tuesday the lights on the equalizer are on, the "tape" indicator is on, plus a number 70, the clock is on ... and the radio won't play.

Loose connexion?
    Bad cassette drive?
    I don't need it to play tapes (I don't have any anymore anyway).
    But I would like the radio to work...
    and with Christmas coming, I don't have the dinero to buy a new stereo.

2. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

You might consider a used one from a junkyard. This one is in your area:

Used Auto Parts | Sell Your Car For Cash | Wrench A Part (at http://www.wrenchapart.com/ )

Their price on a non-CD radio is $16, and they have plenty of Dodge trucks. Yours was the same radio in other models during the '90's; my Dakota uses it, and I bought a used one at their Belton yard from a mini-van. They charge a $2 fee to get in, at least at their Belton and Austin locations, but their prices are reasonable.

3. BlackSheep01

Yep. Might go out there tomorrow. I'll have trained adult help in arm's reach. :)
    That's where I found the knobs for the HVAC controls and the hook to hold the passenger-side sun visor up, about six months ago.

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Somehow it may be thinking that a cassette is loaded into it. The tape switch may be stuck on. The '70' is a tape equalization (bias) number.
    Have you ever tried inserting a cassette? Many times if one gets stuck, someone will force it out and bend things.
    If you have the EQ, yours may be an Infinity unit. I don't know if a 'regular' radio would work?
    Does it say 'Infinity' or small white letters on the faceplate that say 'RAY'?
    It might not even be the original radio. Is this the unit?:
    Chrysler Infinity III Cassette Stereo: Takeapart / Repair Guide (at https://www.allpar.com/stereo/Infinity-III/index.html )

5. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

IC makes a good point; you have a 5-band equalizer, so yours is different from the base unit, but the connector should be the same. In the link, the unit was taken from an Intrepid, so one from a car should work in your truck. While you're in the junkyard, you might want to pull an Infinity unit and connect it to a vehicle with a base unit to make sure. (Cars and trucks are in different sections of the yard, but if you go early enough, you should have time.)

And I'd recommend one from a car or van anyway. Trucks tend to get used in more harsh conditions, and most of those I saw in the junkyard had collected dirt and dust, so the radios in the cars should be in better shape. The one I pulled from a mini-van has lasted more than 4 years. In my Dakota, I need a Torx #20 to unscrew the instrument panel cover, so make sure you have that tool.

BTW, the Belton junkyard charges a $1 "environmental fee" on certain items. I don't know if the radio is one of them, but prepare for that extra charge in addition to the sales tax, in case it is. They also offer a $1 per day warranty on parts, which might be a good idea, in case the radio you pull doesn't work.

6. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Lots of donors, basically anything after 1984 (when the clock became part of the radio and the connectors changed) up until around 2000 (depends on the body style, when the radio corners were rounded). K based cars, Intrepid,trucks, vans, minivans, Jeeps, etc. Doesn't matter if it's just AM/FM, or cassette or CD, Infinity or not. Just watch because some cars (the cloud cars) used different mounting points and the Neon (and maybe some others) had orange backlighting if that bothers you.

7. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Also, the plug in connectors changed from 2 to a single around 2001.

I replaced the single plug 2001 radio with an earlier 2 plug radio and used a plug adapter harness.

Thanks
    Randy

8. BlackSheep01

.....well, today's plans got upended 'cause my MIL's house was broken into. Nobody home, all the man-portable obvious cashables gone ... so I guess we'll do the Wallyworld kit, tomorrow....

and yes, the one in the photo is the one I have, and the one I have thinks there's a cassette stuck in it.

9. BlackSheep01

Well, that was fun. But now I have a working radio, so ... it's all good.

ImperialCrown likes this.