Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

air bag light spazzin out

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by Charlie Harper, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Charlie Harper

Charlie Harper New Member

Air bag light has been lighting up and going out intermittantly. Today it stays on and a bell sounds bout every minute to remind me of the red warning light glairing at me.
    Dirty connector somewhere?...

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Does it have an open recall? Takata air bag? You can check by entering the VIN # at www.safercar.gov. Does the horn and cruise control work? If not it may be a bad/faulty clock spring.

Otherwise I recommend having a dealer or independent shop perform diagnostics. It may be a failed module or bad connection or faulty clock spring.

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

This is the 2007? No recalls are listed and there are no bulletins concerning the passive restraints. If the AIRBAG light is coming on, there is a fault code stored even if the warning light goes back out.
    See if you can get ahold of a scan tool that can read airbag fault codes so you don't have to guess. Airbag components have gold-plated electrical contacts, so 'dirty' connector terminals are unlikely.
    Servicing passive restraint components is best done with proper training and tools. If you are unfamiliar with airbag precautions and service, it may be best to let a dealer service dept handle this.

Doug D likes this.
  4. Gerry G

Gerry G Well-Known Member

Check/re-seat the connectors under the front seats. Sometimes they get jostled by stuff that gets under the seats.

5. Charlie Harper

Charlie Harper New Member

Thanks. I'll check for the plugs under the seat. Do the seats need to be removed? Drove all day yesterday and the warning light never came on. Gas cap light and hatch warning did this shortly after I bought the car but have not seen those particular warnings since.