Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AJ will retire at the end of the Pro Stock Season:

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by redriderbob, Sep 1, 2017.

1. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

It's official...

21268823_10102224429432704_944350298_n.jpg

2. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

3. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Great man! Great Family!

Enjoy your retirement Allen.

Mike

danbek likes this.
  4. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Not exactly a surprise. He was almost gone 2 years ago when Mopar pulled their support.

5. DrMark

DrMark Member

I appreciate what he has meant to the sport, to Mopar, and to us fans (particularly us as Mopar fans).

He has certainly earned this retirement.

Thank you Allen!

6. prowler

prowler Member

Well the way FCA has trashed the Chrysler brands, as time goes by less and less people are in the know, regarding who and what Mopar even stands for. The Dart has never been any where as successful as the Avenger program was. Because FCA is going in the direction they are and the fact that the Dart is now out of production Mopar has no body to run in pro stock anyway. I think he's retiring because, #1 there is no replacement for the Dart body, #2 the engine program is not compatible with the rule change to FI, and it's never going to be with out a new cylinder head package. If there's another season of pro stock the way it is, expect it to be a total Chevy show. Not that it isn't almost that as of now.

I will miss seeing AJ representing the Mopar/Dodge brand. I'll never forget the 2012 season when he tore the entire pro stock field to pieces. But from an engineering stand point you've got probably 8(maybe more) shops out there advancing the GM brand and barley a couple for Mopar.

con383 likes this.
  7. moparman505

moparman505 Active Member

Thank-you and good luck. I have always loved pro stock and the people who have run Mopars. The new rules were certainly very favourable to the Chevies. Reminded me of the Grumpy days if you can't beat them, facter them or change the rules. A Mopar man until the end he will be missed. See ya later pro stock!!!!

8. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

AJ has had a hell of a career in NHRA Pro Stock....

[​IMG]
    His 2012 Pro Stock Championship

[​IMG]
    AJ in 2009 with his Stratus R/T Pro Stocker

[​IMG]
    Johnson's 2001 independent Amoco J&J Racing Dodge Avenger Pro Stocker

[​IMG]
    AJ at the 2009 SEMA show showing off the new 2009 Dodge Avenger R/T Pro Stocker

Allen Johnson speeds his way to his second win of the season and the final win of the carburetor era for Pro Stock at the 2015 Auto Club NHRA Finals in Pomona.

[​IMG]
    Allen Johnson (right) and his father and engine builder, Roy Johnson, scored the first win of 2016 for a Mopar Dodge Dart NHRA Pro Stock car with their triumph at the 37th Annual Mopar Mile-High NHRA Nationals.

AJ beats Vincent Noble at Vegas in 2012 to push his way to the Championship.

Currently AJ has...

Career Wins

Career Final Rounds

Career Best E.T.

Career Best Speed

9. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

AJ beats Erica Ender-Stevens in Vegas to wins the K&N Nationals

AJ's full retirement speech

10. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Tough loss at his last NHRA US Nationals yesterday. AJ lost by .0002 sec - approximately 1 inch!

11. prowler

prowler Member

He's diffidently getting closer. It would be nice if the other 2 Mopars brought something to the table. But its been like they show up with the same car every race. Through out this entire season neither of those cars has improved race after race. Al they do is advance someone else to the next round. The fact that AJ has IMO, shown major improvements, almost every race, tells me that there is some engine mod's their still dialing in. I would love to see AJ's times in the same area that Butler and the rest of the Summit cars are in. But......I not sure how much longer that the Dart will fly in pro stock. And aside from the Challenger they don't have a decent body. If they chopped the Challenger up for pro stock the way the Camaro has been they might have a chance.

Volunteer likes this.
  12. prowler

prowler Member

Oh....and redriderbob........thanks for the great pic's! Tells a great story. To bad it's ending.

Mopar Jerry likes this.
  13. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

They would have to. Remember, NHRA has a common template for the PS cars a la Nascar.

14. Volunteer

Volunteer Well-Known Member

I remember seeing A.J. in Seattle either '95? or '96? - (his first season) and, like all the seasoned Pros, he too had a display of his 'driver profile cards'. I did get one (perhaps of few others) and still have it - tucked away with the usual 'Eddie Hills, Joe Amatos etc.'

Thanks for entertaining us for the past two decades, Allen, and let us all know of any future endeavors.

(and no, I haven't viewed the video yet)

15. prowler

prowler Member

AJ's time was third fastest in the first round. He would have had it in the bag had his reaction time been better. BUT....the Hemi's times have been steadily improving. Hope he gets a win soon.

16. con383

con383 Well-Known Member

sometimes i wish That Chrysler was allowed to fail rather than have Fiat as the owner! At least their racing would have a good excuse to stop.
    Now its going the same way as lancia and Alfa . That tell you something??:(