Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio Recalled for Brake Snafu

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Hemidakota, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

[​IMG]

By Matthew Guy on January 2, 2018 - Many years of competing in demolition derbies taught me many things, such as the value of not looking over my shoulder while reversing into someone at a high rate of speed and the importance of a good neck brace. I also learned that while one can substitute other liquids for transmission fluid, braking systems don’t play well with any pollutant that’s not designed to be in there.

Alfa Romeo has also discovered this fact, and is now recalling a total of 307 Giulia sedans and Stelvio crossovers from the 2018 model year for potentially contaminated brake fluid.

As detailed by the NHTSA, certain Giulias and Stelvios may contain brake fluid that was contaminated in the assembly plant with a non-compatible oil type. On November 23, two vehicles within the plant failed the dynamic Customer Product Audit quality test when they experienced a loss of clutch pressure. FCA says the entire yard was subsequently placed on hold as a safety measure.

Five days later, Alfa Romeo opened an investigation into the loss of clutch pedal pressure due to QC failure of those two subject vehicles. The same day, the boffins at Alfa donned white coats and conducted laboratory analysis on the vehicles that failed QC. This revealed contamination of the brake and clutch fluid with mineral oil. Further investigation found that a pallet containing those three fluids was used starting November 13th.

STORY LINK: Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio Recalled for Brake Snafu - The Truth About Cars (at http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/01/alfa-giulia-stelvio-recalled-brake-problems/ )

2. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Why did I get an image of that old Three Bears cartoon about Father's Day.
    Where Junior is filling Pa's pipe and picks up a can that reads Gun Powder.
    Junior reads saying, "G-U-N P-O-W-D-E-R, Tobacco".
    Someone in the plant misread mineral oil for brake fluid?

Zagnut27 likes this.
  3. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

I was just looking at the website for my closest Alfa dealer, and they have 44 Stelvio’s I believe...beautiful cars all of them. Even my wife thinks so, which is high praise indeed from someone who doesn’t like anything without Range Rover or Mercedes stamped on it...ugh. She said she could see herself driving it to work...heck I could see myself driving one to work. It might end up being cheaper than buying a JLU...I can’t believe I just said that.

And then I read this. Would it ultimately deter me from purchasing? Probably not. The fact that the dealer is up Rt 202 from Delaware into Pennsylvania is probably more of a deterrent than anything. I...can’t...stand...202. But these are absolutely beautiful, I may have to put aside my 202 bias and go take a looky. If they had a 3-row available I’d definitely go up there sooner rather than later.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  4. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

It's unusual to get so much information from a manufacturer about a quality issue - is this a new reporting requirement?

But this case does show that "Quality" is a process, and it encompasses more than how you put things together. This recall was down to a material handling process that allowed contamination to occur in rare occasions.

Here's the next bit from the article:
    "The next day, all vehicles were held at the assembly plant, with suspect vehicles tested for oil contamination. On December 5th, the plant created a system in which vehicles would be assembled using brake and clutch fluid from barrels they knew to be uncontaminated."

That last sentence is encouraging from a quality standpoint: a good quality process doesn't find and fix problems; it tries to eliminate the root cause of problems. Once you know something can happen, you change your process so that it can't.

danbek, UN4GTBL and DAGAR like this.
  5. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

Yeah, I have to agree. It sucks that this happened.

BUT, look at how it was handled. They didn't just go "oh well" and stuff them on trucks for the customers and dealers to figure it out. They held the potentially impacted vehicles and took action there and then.

Zagnut27 and Doug D like this.
  6. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

O like CHevy did with Z06's? *snicker*

7. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Yup, it’s often not what happens but more so how it’s handled that makes a difference. They got right to the issue here and handled it immediately. That’s what you want to see. Don’t tell me problems, give me solutions.

GasAxe, valiant67, UN4GTBL and 2 others like this.