Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alfa Romeo Museum, Arese

Discussion in 'Fiat News & Rumors' started by KrisW, Sep 21, 2017.

1. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

Rather than exhume a thread from 2014 about the museum opening, I thought I'd put this here...

About a month ago, I visited the "Museo Storico Alfa Romeo" (Alfa Romeo historical collection) in Arese, near Milan. Here's a selection of pictures I took at the exhibition:

Museo Storico Alfa Romeo, Arese (at https://1drv.ms/a/s!ArwLP9qntcZ7j4U-JnXUH6rb1fYB3Q )

The collection is arranged chronologically for production cars (1910--2010), then there's rooms for motorsport, prototypes and custom coach-building, plus the usual video projections and multimedia displays. There's also a collection of aircraft engines in the entry hall, which are interesting in themselves.

(The complete museum collection also includes post-war Alfa Romeo-branded household goods, and commercial vehicles and buses, but this permanent exhibition only shows the cars)

... I'll admit I gave up about 80% of the way through, and decided to buy the book instead, so you don't see as many photos of some of the later models, or the later racing cars, but if you're in any way interested in the early years of motor sport, or Italian coachbuilding, or Alfa Romeo (!), or just cars in general, the museum is well worth a visit.

... But go there by car, if you can. Arese is quite far from Milan, and the Museum itself is on the outskirts of the town of Arese, so public transport options aren't great. Nonetheless, there were about thirty people walking through at the same time we were which is not bad for a Monday morning at the tail end of the holiday season.

Quite cleverly, when you exit the museum, you do so just outside the café and an Alfa Romeo dealership... (there's a Jeep dealership on site too, as this is FCA Europe's preferred brand pairing).

Enjoy..

Prabhjot, MJAB, BASONE88 and 2 others like this.
  2. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Active Member

Hopefully I can make it there next year.

KrisW likes this.
  3. BASONE88

Supporter

Wow! That is sooo cool! Thanks for sharing your visit there. What a great collection of iron, plastic, and rubber! Beautiful!

KrisW likes this.
  4. quadamage76

quadamage76 Active Member

very nice pictures. I think I'll go there... :) just a couple of hours far from home :))))

KrisW likes this.
  5. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Very interesting they have a museum and they closed the Chrysler one.

6. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The Alfa Romeo museum was closed in 2009 and re-opened mid 2015 when the giant mall was opened in front of it.
    To add that the mall was built were there was Alfa Romeo main plant, R&D center and headquarter.

7. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

as @MJAB mentioned, the Alfa museum actually closed down in 2009, for much the same reasons as the Chrysler museum: its location deep inside an industrial facility meant there were very few visitors. It was also not open to a regular schedule, and visitor numbers were low.

The big reason for reopening it was the construction of a massive shopping mall on the other side of the highway from the site, plus the boost in visitor numbers to the Milan area due to Expo 2015 (on the same side of town) The addition of an Alfa/Jeep dealership on premises also helps to draw visitor traffic.

The big problem with the WPC museum really seems to have been its location. I'd have been interested to visit, but when would I, as a tourist, ever be in that part of Michigan?

Arese is closer to Milan than Auburn Hills is to Detroit, and even though Milan is not a big tourist destination in Italian terms, it's probably safe to say it gets more tourism than Detroit.

I would love to see FCA take space in Detroit itself -- you'd expect to see a car museum in the "Motor City" -- or maybe at the Chrysler Building in NY, which is an attraction in its own right with strong historical ties to the company.

danbek and AlfaCuda like this.