Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alfa Romeo rises to 5th most reliable brand in the UK

Discussion in 'Fiat News & Rumors' started by Ingvar, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Ingvar

Ingvar Active Member

What Car? asked owners of 14,208 cars to tell us if their cars had suffered any faults in the past 12 months. Faults were classified into 14 groups: battery, bodywork, brakes, engine, engine electrics, exhaust, exterior lights, fuel system, gearbox/clutch, interior trim, non-engine electrics, steering, suspension and other.

For each fault, we asked the owner to identify time spent off the road using categories ranging from less than one day to more than a week. We also asked them to tell us how much the repairs cost, from being fixed under warranty for free to more than £1500. This information was weighted according to the severity of the fault; those that cost the most and kept the car off the road the longest were penalised most.

The data has been used to create the What Car? reliability rating,

2017 What Car? Reliability Survey (at https://www.whatcar.com/news/reliability-survey/ )

ScramFan, Morty and romalerig like this.
  2. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

An encouraging bit of news for AR......But don't stop reading there.

Continue on......and you'll find the rankings for Fiat, and especially Jeep......disturbing to say the least.

3. Morty

Morty Active Member

The AR result reflects my experience as well. Good news;)

ScramFan likes this.
  4. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

Just to point out that that survey does not include new products such as Giulia, Stelvio, or older ones like Mito. From the published rankings, the entire Alfa Romeo brand score appears to be solely from the Giulietta, which comes in at #10 in its category, with an 82.6% reliability "score".

So, if you click through to What Car's Giulietta review, you'd expect a pretty good report... right?
    Yes, it's old text, but they've never updated this stuff before when Alfa has improved. I've owned a Giulietta for the last three years, and my experience is much more in line with the survey than What Car's review.

The other head-shake moment is from this table:
    For those not familiar with the Volkswagen NSF platform, the Volkswagen Up (7th) and Skoda Citigo (3rd) are, essentially, the exact same car (the third brand is the SEAT Mii). Both are made at the same factory in Slovakia, and they differ only in badge and trim pieces - it's probably the only truly "badge-engineered" passenger car in the European market. The big difference in placings may show us more about how budget-brand buyers have different expectations to more expensive ones than the actual quality of the product... (Odd that the SEAT version isn't listed, but it may be inadequate sampling)

The first-placed Toyota Aygo is another jointly-built car, this time with partner company Peugeot-Citroen, whose Citroen C1 and Peugeot 107 are the same vehicle with different metalwork and interiors. All three are made in the Peugeot factory in Kolín, Czech Republic. I assume the absence of the French-branded cars from the table is due to insufficient sampling...

(The 1.5% difference between the Kia and Hyundai A-segment cars is not significant statistically).

Bican, MJAB and AlfaCuda like this.
  5. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Active Member

As with @KrisW I too would take these results with a pinch of salt.
    No mention of the possible differences in samples size. I suspect there’s a big variance.

For example the Mercedes S Class is best in class while the E class is worst. I am quite sure the two share lots of components.

That said I have found that Alfa Romeos are pretty reliable. On my 4th everyday car in a row.

Bican likes this.
  6. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Your Fleet (UK) - Alfa Romeo Giulietta Car Review
    Alfa Romeo Giulietta - an independent road test report (at http://www.yourfleet.co.uk/car_reviews/alfa_romeo/road_test.php?report_id_8630 )
    "... An entirely independent and impartial review provided for us under licence by Car & Driving. ..."

"...
    Summary

As an object lesson in how to make an unpromising car come good, you can't really do a great deal better than the Alfa Romeo Giulietta. You could cite a few other vehicles that developed into something rather good after a slow start. The Jaguar S-TYPE, the BMW X3 and the Mazda3 spring to mind and the common theme running through all these models is that they became better cars than the British public gave them credit for. The same may well be true of the Giulietta. It's a far more focused sales proposition now than in 2010, but the old perception tends to be the one people carry with them. Communicating that the car has moved on ought to be Alfa's priority. The latest 120bhp 1.6-litre JTDM-2 TCT auto package puts this car right into contention with the class best. It's never going to be quite as cheap to run as a Golf, but it's about on a par with a Focus and Ford's family favourite has never exactly been perceived as a crazy indulgence. Perhaps it's time you gave the Alfa a second chance.
    ..."

BASONE88 and ScramFan like this.
  7. Andy69

Andy69 Active Member

MJAB likes this.
  8. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Active Member

In theory shouldn’t the 500X be alongside the Renegade? I can’t see it even listed.

BASONE88 likes this.
  9. pumadog

pumadog Active Member

For some reasons all 500 variants are listed as one model in Germany, also in the sales statistics. The 500 is at #27 in the Pikkuautot (small car) list.

AlfaCuda likes this.
  10. BASONE88

Supporter

That's a neat car! I wish it were available in the NAFTA region. Ultimately, I guess there wouldn't be enough sold - to justify certification.