AF: Alfa Romeo RWD Magic is Coming to Chrysler | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alfa Romeo RWD Magic is Coming to Chrysler

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Seagondollar, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Seagondollar

Seagondollar Active Member

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2014/1/29/Alfa-Romeo-RWD-Magic-is-Coming-to-Chrysler-7718351/

OK, granted it's Carbuzz and I've got my grain of salt here, and there's not much that hasn't been said here aside from the code-name Giorgio.

But when I hear people say that Dodge is dead, like Pontiac and Plymouth, I want to say - Well what about the ... The Charger is nice. The Dart is OK. But I'm enjoying driving my 02 BMW and would rather it be a RWD, manual transmission Mopar with a Pentastar or Hurricane engine. What do you say, Giorgio?

2. james.mooney.

james.mooney. The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"

It will be interesting to see what Dodge and Chrysler vehicles come off this platform.

It sounds like they will be making a midsize sedan and a full size sedan for Alfa, so Dodge Avenger and Dodge Charger seem like a pretty sure bet.

If a full size Alfa coupe comes, a new Challenger would seem likely, but original rumors had the new Challenger sharing its platform with the Maserati GranTurismo. Will the GranTurismo come off this platform too, or will it be based off the Quattroporte, as it has been in the past? If so, maybe Challenger will be based off Quattroporte and Ghibli while the Charger is based on the new platform? Or maybe they will make three coupes off the new platform: an Alfa, a Maserati Gran Sport, and the Challenger?

And then there is the question of the 300. Would it make sense to base it off the Ghibli even if the Charger is based off the new Alfa 169 (or Alfetta or whatever)? Or will the 300 move to the new Alfa platform as well? Or maybe it will be based on a FWD platform, such as the new minivan platform? And if so, will the new minivan platform be flexible enough to make RWD cars also, as rumored (E-EVO)? That seems unlikely at this point, given that they will already have two platforms (Alfa and Maserati) for RWD full size cars.

Finally, will there be any CUVs off this platform? Could it spawn the next Grand Cherokee, the Grand Wagoneer, maybe even the next-gen Cherokee? For the Jeep purists, I would imagine that a RWD Alfa platform, while not ideal, would be better than a FWD Alfa platform (for the next Cherokee)!

3. pumadog

pumadog Well-Known Member

Don't know about the GranSport but Harald Wester openly admitted some months ago that the current GranCabrio is too big and will be replaced by something smaller. The new Alfa platform is said to be flexible from D- to E-segment. It's only logical to use it for other brands – but only after it's introduced as "the Alfa platform".

4. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Well-Known Member

I'm always curious why they refer to the 'big' Alfa as the Alfetta. Since, I believe Alfetta means small Alfa. I'm wondering if it could be because it will have a rear transaxle layout just like the originals!?

5. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

There's a lot of old news being dusted off and presented as though its new. My understanding of the situation from what we have been told by the insiders on the board:

What we know:
    1. Alfa Romeo will be getting a D-sized sedan with rwd
    2. Dodge will add volume needed to make the development of the D-rwd platform profitable
    3. New versions of the LX will folding tweaks made by Maserati and both Charger and 300 will benefit

What might happen:
    1. Dodge might have the a sedan (Avenger) and or a coup/ponycar (Barracuda)
    2. The developmental lead for the new platform may be Chrysler or Fiat but both will be involved
    What was rumored to be the plan but don't appear likely
    1. The 300 might have shared a platform with the upcoming minivan which implied fwd or a flexible fwd/rwd platform
    2. LX was being looked at as a donor program for the D-rwd, but abandoned

6. That's assuming they don't unload Alfa. My problem with all of this is until I see new product wearing a Dodge name it's nothing more then background noise. The inability of SM to even make any kind of positive comment about Dodge when Sterling was dedicated makes me very nervous. The same thing happened with NASCAR. They kept saying yes we are going to have something soon, and boom. Gone!

7. RVC

RVC Active Member

The GranSport part of the issue will likely be somewhat cleared in Geneva. Rumors say to expect a concept based on Ferrari's California bones. Whether that's indicative of the final product or just its size...well, that probably nobody knows (outside of the CEO and a close circle of engineers) ;)

But the Cali sure is smaller than the current GTs, so that's the size that Wester likely has in mind for the next gen. Maserati GTs.

8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

That's assuming they don't unload Alfa. My problem with all of this is until I see new product wearing a Dodge name it's nothing more then background noise. The inability of SM to even make any kind of positive comment about Dodge when Sterling was dedicated makes me very nervous.”

He has been extremely clear and specific about the Dodge RWD car.

Mr_WoLoLO likes this.
  9. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

Yep and the new 3 year plan to be released in April should reflect the new DRWD offerings.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  10. Like I said, I want to believe, but I'll wait to comment any further. Something about the whole Dodge scenario makes the hair on my neck stand up. I pray I'm wrong, and I don't have much faith in the so called plans. These have changed more then a hobo changes his undies.

11. Mr_WoLoLO

Mr_WoLoLO Member

Oh yeah, Carbuzz is not like the best website, but this rumour has been around for a while and trusted sources here have mentioned the idea.

Now, about the 'Cuda, Ralph recently stated that it was a rumour that went out of control, so most likely it will be an Avenger... do we have any idea of when is it going to be released? :p (kidding).

12. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

Now yall know how us Jeepers feel!!!

13. Int

Int Active Member

You mean the underwear thing? :)

abgwin likes this.
  14. duster92

duster92 Well-Known Member

How often does a hobo change his undies? Probably not very often.

15. Int

Int Active Member

I think Jeepnut got that one backwards. Musta been a brain traf.

16. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

Ok im lost :lol:

dak4x4 likes this.
  17. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

I absolutely do not understand this constant "the sky is falling!" mentality around here.

dak4x4, abgwin and Jerry Simcik like this.
  18. Int

Int Active Member

I had my own brain traf. Shoulda said Trailduster and not Jeepnut. Unless I'm lost. :)

19. Jerry Simcik

Jerry Simcik Well-Known Member

You can thank Daimler for that...

20. Ya it's my fault. I messed up. It was dyslexic moment. Backwards, my apologies.
    Should have read. .. The plan changes as often as a baby gets his diaper changed.