Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alfa Romeo Stelvio test drive

Discussion in 'Fiat News & Rumors' started by MJAB, Mar 14, 2017.

1. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

2. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

The difference there is mostly in the ability of the drivers...

3. quadamage76

quadamage76 Active Member

no, I don't agree: the inner rear wheel looses contact with the road as the cars starts rolling so much to approaches overturning.

4. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

The Q7 loses traction because the guy driving it comes into the curve too fast and on the wrong line - the sudden corrective action he then needs to take is what destabilises the car. The driver of the Stelvio is a pro, taking a much better, smoother line through the curve - he's faster because he keeps the car just within its limits.

But yes, if you give the Stelvio's driver that Q7 he will still be slower, becuase the Stelvio is lighter and it's a better driving machine overall than Audi's car is. But this comparison video is mostly between someone who cannot drive very well, and someone who can, and it's nothing more than someone who should know better mocking an inexperienced driver...

5. Chase300

Chase300 Active Member

My local dealer called me and said they got some in, so I'll check it out tomorrow.
    I liked the Giulia, but too small for my current needs and I just don't want that low of a car to climb in and out of daily.

6. Chase300

Chase300 Active Member

Test drove the Stelvio today.
    Of course drives a lot like the Giulia, so fantastic steering response, quiet and firm but not harsh ride just with a lot more room.
    I adjusted the driver seat to my liking and still had plenty of room in the rear even at 6'2".
    I loved the rear hatch opened high enough that I did not hit my head like I do with my Durango.
    Nicely finished inside though a bit bland with the all black interior which is all they had currently. Red or brown interior needed IMO to add some color to the inside. I tried out both the Ti with sport seats and the standard base model. I actually like the base seats better in this application as they were a bit wider, very comfortable and made it easier to get in and out of. Plus the sport seats bolsters are a bit narrow.

Engine has a bit of lag off the line then pulls like a freight train right turbo spoolup.
    Base radio also very good and I like the sight lines out of it, easy to judge distances around you.
    So its a good package and there were several other people also checking them out while I was there so it is certainly driving traffic in the showroom.

However, at $51K for the Ti I drove and $47K for the base model, its pricey IMO without any discount.
    I know Mercedes discounts $8K off sticker around Christmas time, so I while its a nice package, Alfa is going to have to throw a bit of money on the hood.
    At least that is my takeaway.

Deckard_Cain, Prabhjot, KrisW and 2 others like this.
  7. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

If the prices were equal, would you take the Merc over a Stelvio? ... and at what amount of discount for the losing car would you change that answer?

8. Chase300

Chase300 Active Member

That's the question I was asking too.
    My wife and I are going to check both out next week and we'll have the answer.
    The Alfa is definitely more sport oriented, but is that enough?
    The dealer was unloading a truck load when I was there, so only drove the Ti and sat in a base.
    The pano roof does not intrude on head room as it does in the Giulia, but disappointing rear seats don't recline...though they are still comfortable.

The Merc lists at $42K w/premium 1 package...without AWD.

KrisW likes this.
  9. Chase300

Chase300 Active Member

One other note, there has been feedback that the brake by wire system is hard to modulate. Maybe at a racetrack, but I had no issues with them driving around in Atlanta traffic. I was really focusing on them too, so I don't believe anyone else will have any issue with th

Morty likes this.
  10. mentalicca

Level III Supporter

Does anyone have the US measurements for interior room for the Stelvio? I cannot seem to find them listed anywhere.

11. Chase300

Chase300 Active Member

Well for what its worth, I saw my first Stelvio on the road today. A possible sign they will sell well?
    However, I still haven't seen a Giulia in the wild yet.
    Atlanta area

12. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

13. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

CNN Money

14. JeepandRams

JeepandRams Active Member

Same here in Baltimore, have just seen a Stelvio but not a Guilia

15. Morty

Morty Active Member

pumadog, quadamage76 and AlfaCuda like this.
  16. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

That's faster than a stock BMW M4.

A good driver can make any car look stable, but from that video, the cornering speed of Stelvio is really impressive ... it never looked like it was going to break away from the driver. There are cars that wouldn't be that composed.

AlfaCuda and Morty like this.
  17. quadamage76

quadamage76 Active Member

the fastes Cayenne: 8:19:00..... oppps :D

Morty likes this.
  18. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

So... I drove a Stelvio today. Very car-like, but you do feel the higher position when you take a bend at high speed.. not to say it isn't stable, just that you feel the tilting of the car more. If I'd driven a Land Rover like I drove the Stelvio, I'd probably be writing this from hospital now. The model I tried was the diesel, AWD, but it was very quiet, especially at idle, and the transmission never left me wanting a manual.

It's almost as good as Giulia to drive, and that's high praise for an SUV.

AlfaCuda likes this.
  19. romalerig

romalerig Well-Known Member