AF: Alfa Romeo/Super Bowl ads | Page 25 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alfa Romeo/Super Bowl ads

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by humdrum, Feb 3, 2017.

1. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

To your question: I saw significant improvements in product quality in my Chrysler 300 and Dodge Challengers, but I can't recall having seen nor heard anything on the waves. And seeing Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep at the bottom of those charts is just disheartening.

I've also have had very good fortune buying Mopars for 30 years, with one exception. Nevertheless, I won't recommend just to anyone to buy a Chrysler or a Dodge because it is the unorthodox recommendation, and if they don't like it, then it is on me.

To bring it back somewhat into topic...we will have to see if Alfa Romeo follows pre-established FCA owner mold, by which they absolutely LOVE their vehicle, but enough to tell others to buy one...?

#481 aldo90731, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  2. humdrum

humdrum Well-Known Member

When people ask my opinion about my Cherokee, I tell them my experience, and I tell them that they should actually spend some time with one and decide for themselves. I don't shrink away from my senses and what I have learned and perceived (felt) about the vehicles. Unfortunately, the majority of older people I talk to today, still remember Chrysler Cordoba and they associate that era of Chrysler troubles with today's products. I tell them to do themselves a favor and explore the 300's or chargers or Cherokees of today. And, I tell them that no one has yet built a perfect vehicle that is without its share of problems, even the Germans, or even Tesla (but that's another matter).

BTW, did anyone notice, as far as Alfa is concerned, was there any mention that Alfa was a FCA product in the commercials? Was that deliberate, or just a smart move to take away any preconceived notions?

npaladin2000 and aldo90731 like this.
  3. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Years ago I worked for a municipality; where in the main offices were conference rooms made available to businesses operating in their jurisdiction. Among the entities were very, very well-known Asian companies. Rare occasions, they conducted special meetings on our premises. I was not direct witness to their conferences, yet I was physically very close by. When a couple of key conferences ended, a co-worker, who was in attendance to assist the companies' representatives, recounted that two company leaders, using their own verbiage separately, swore to more or less 'bury' the US automakers. { It 'kinda - sorta' sounded like Nikita Khrushchev, from way back in the day. Those of us old enough might remember those days }.

A separate, but related issue ... One bit of fall-out from the once common term in the USA, "Japanese Junk", was the eventual determination by Asian firms headquartered in Japan to concentrate on and eventually deliver well-engineered products which were more than equal to market standard. In the post-WWII rebuilding period in Japan exported goods to the USA were not that good, thus the name.

But they made good on their promise, first with Motorcycles, then with Automobiles.

The companies which now ARE The Standard are Asian - not to dismiss out of hand some German marques.

Personal conclusion :

Manufacturers in Japan ( primarily ) grew incensed that USA customers were dismissive of their products. They grew eager to 'Push Back', and did so.

They committed themselves to meet the challenge of reversing quality negatives by dedicating time to identify, categorize, rank-order system-by-system with a 'hurry and do' attitude, but without a Program End-date attached. Every year showed mostly lasting improvements incrementally - where, indeed, some select 'improvements' had to be re-thought and re-jiggered to reach an acceptable level of final improvement. And that became their engineering and assembly culture. Certain US automakers WERE buried.

#483 JavelinAMX, Feb 11, 2017
    Dave Z and aldo90731 like this.
  4. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Agree on product quality appeals to the widest group of buyers.
    My question is what does the spread actually mean between first and last?
    It seems the actual problems are small overall and reliability today even at the bottom of the ratings is equal or better than the top ratings from just a few maybe 10? years ago.
    I don't see new cars stranded along the highway or being flat bedded into a dealership.
    So are we talking my phone won't connect now? vs my transmission failed?

An occasional clunk in the transmission does not mean its going to fail anytime soon.

Mr. Fusion, freshforged and aldo90731 like this.
  5. aldo90731

When I was I college, breaking down on the side of the road was a real possibility.

Today people foam at the mouth because their Bluetooth doesn't connect automatically, the resolution of the navigation is poor, or Pandora takes too long to load up.

The trend appears to be that quality today means more than just reliability; it encompasses powertrain refinement, the fit and finish, the seamless interface with our mobile device, the stitching on the seats, the clarity of the audio system, the customer treatment, etc., etc.

#485 aldo90731, Feb 11, 2017
    djsamuel, Prabhjot and Dave Z like this.
  6. Chase300

So Honda is not perfect either....

aldo90731 likes this.
  7. CivoLee

CivoLee Well-Known Member

So in other words, people are getting more picky? :D

freshforged likes this.
  8. Chase300

Video get back to showing the customer you at least care about their issues and not just ignore them.
    So much can come down to the dealership and its service dept. for keeping customers happy.

9. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 LOAD "*",8,1

I don't think they mentioned any other brand at all, not even Maserati. Probably a smart move trying to make it stand alone.

10. humdrum

humdrum Well-Known Member

....And the father of the Japanese improvement was none other than W. Edwards Deming. According to Wikipedia:

"He is probably best known for his management philosophy establishing quality, productivity, and competitive position. He has formulated 14 points of attention for managers, which are a high level abstraction of many of his deep insights. They should be interpreted by learning and understanding the deeper insights. These 14 points include key concepts such as:
    • Break down barriers between departments
    • Management should learn their responsibilities, and take on leadership
    • Supervision should be to help people and machines and gadgets to do a better job
    • Improve constantly and forever the system of production and service
    • Institute a vigorous program of education and self-improvement"
    A consultant for Ford Motors, I believe. Still, true as ever today.

#490 humdrum, Feb 11, 2017
    JavelinAMX likes this.
  11. aldo90731

No, they are not. But I don't have time for people who go measuring door gaps, either.

I see them on the Wrangler forums, too. They buy a Wrangler and complain that the paint color on the body doesn't match perfectly that on the fiberglass top; or that headlights suck for a $50,000 vehicle. They write stuff like "my sister's Audi A4 has better headlights!" Really? Does your sister's Audi also have front and rear lockers, swaybar disconnect, D44 front axle, a 4:1 transfer case, skid plates and 32" tires? Because last time I checked, none of those were cheap.

#491 aldo90731, Feb 11, 2017
    Dave Z and Chase300 like this.
  12. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

That's exactly the reason I don't want any of their vehicles.

13. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

14. aldo90731

#494 aldo90731, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    Prabhjot likes this.
  15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Is there any mention of General Motors in a Cadillac commercial? Does Lexus link itself back to Toyota?

npaladin2000 likes this.
  16. valiant67

valiant67 ...

No they don't. But FCA depends on people swapping between the various brands to have a full lineup, unlike Chevrolet, Ford and Toyota where there is a core full line brand with other "satellite" brands surrounding it. In FCA's case, there is no core brand, just a bunch or partial line ups with no core.

JavelinAMX likes this.
  17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I think the reliance takes place at dealerships, not in the ads, and that it only holds true for the mainstream brands. Alfa Romeo, like Maserati, is supposed to stand alone. It’s not trying to attract Chrysler or Dodge buyers.

dmcdonald and MJAB like this.
  18. JavelinAMX

The AMC Pacer is a collectible ...

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hmn/2015/08/1975-1980-AMC-Pacer/3748852.html

If I had $72000- USD to buy any car I wanted, I'd be far more inclined to go for a Pacer.

I had a Pacer X and, later, a Pacer Wagon - BOTH could carry my Double-Bass Drum Kit along with a Fender Twin Reverb amplifier, one of the Guitarists in my band along with his Fender Stratocaster in its case. He, of course, drove with me comfortably in the front passenger seat ... chuckling from time to time and looking at the load saying : "I can't believe we got all of our stuff in here - and I can still see out the back."

#498 JavelinAMX, Feb 12, 2017
  19. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 LOAD "*",8,1

FYI I was binging Hulu today when I saw the most recent Dodge and Jeep President's Day commercials. The Jeep one was a little better (not much), but both stayed very true-to-image for each brand.

20. JavelinAMX

Cool ...

I, didn't do this myself, but it might be good for Metrics' sake to check the Tracking for the Alfa Super Bowl adverts again today, being that it's now the 8th day since they aired .

Maybe do that next week, too, for a true measure of the impact.

It just occurred to me that if it is possible to measure the Alfa's supposed competition's ad tracking for the same hours after the Super Bowl, today and next week to see if THOSE cars benefited from the Alfa SB ads. People sometimes check their Faves against the claims of the competition. I'm thinking it could be possible that that sort of interest accrued from the airings.

#500 JavelinAMX, Feb 12, 2017