AF: Alfa Romeo/Super Bowl ads | Page 26 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alfa Romeo/Super Bowl ads

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by humdrum, Feb 3, 2017.

1. humdrum

humdrum Well-Known Member

I guess my point was that , pretty much, every one knows that Cadillac is GM, and has been for an eternity, and Lexus is Toyota.

The reason I brought it up was that with Alfa it can work one of two ways. It (the connection with FCA) can hurt Alfa, or if Alfa is really good it could have a halo effect and help FCA. The safer road IMO would be not to mention the connection, and let Alfa succeed on it's merits.

2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

How did they learn that? Not through advertisements!

I don’t think linking Alfa Romeo to FCA would help Alfa Romeo at all, and linking the Dart and 200 to Alfa Romeo didn’t help them, so maybe not linking them is a good idea.

Isn’t the point of branding to separate things?

Zagnut27, jorisr, humdrum and 2 others like this.
  3. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

Not supposed to, but the Giulia will be comparable to the next gen Charger, and I am suddenly comparing future Charger with Giulia.

4. BobbiBigWheels

Does Hulu's husband know?

Lol - sorry, I've never heard someone say "Binging", I get it, Googling, I've never used Bing though.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  5. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 LOAD "*",8,1

Well, I think that's part of the problem with the name of Microsoft's search engine. :D

It's good to see FCA placing ads there, it's turned into a more important buy. Just today I've also see Lexus, Chevy, and Mazda. Interestingly CBS advertises their shows on Hulu, but I digress. I have yet to see the Alfa commercials re-air anywhere, and I think that's a mistake. I think they need to continue to build some recognition/momentum by continuing to run those ads to pick up and maintain mindshare.

6. BobbiBigWheels

In my parts, FCA advertises sale events constantly, radio and TV. Only during prime time TV do I see product oriented ads, mostly RAM and Jeep during hockey games.

7. CivoLee

CivoLee Well-Known Member

Here's what's probably a more important question now - has anyone seen an Alfa Romeo ad since then? I have not...

I certainly hope they didn't blow their whole Q1 ad budget for Alfa on one event. They need to keep the brand in people's minds.

8. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Aldo,

As you know, some Introductions mushroom for a brief period, then slowly retract. The initial wave Could be awesome, but then shrink to a trickle.

What then?

Is that a success? A Tweener? or As much of a Failure as the word "Flops" implies ?

9. humdrum

humdrum Well-Known Member

They have been running in the Chicago area.

10. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

The final arbiter will be the sales figures and if they maintain momentum over time without incentives.

11. aldo90731

I was being facetious.

But, yes. There are launches that see their peak right after introduction, like the original Acura NSX, or the FIAT relaunch, when those few waiting to get one of their products do, and then there's no one left to carry sales beyond that.

Brands and/or models in segments with low customer loyalty, like sporty coupes, are usually in that category. This is why many marveled that Mustang, Challenger and Camaro had been able to sustain sales for as long as they did.

Alfa picked two key segments to enter: sedans and CUVs. All things being equal, usually anything with four doors is easier to sustain in the market.

#511 aldo90731, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    JavelinAMX likes this.
  12. BobbiBigWheels

Is it common for luxury vehicles to have much for incentives beyond low finance and lease rates? All I ever hear for BMW is lease from 0.0X%.

13. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

I assume he meant "bingeing" which is completely unrelated.

14. aldo90731

Incentives among luxury brands are insane these days. I've seen numbers upwards of $8,000, and even $12,000 by some brands. Leasing now makes well over half of all luxury transactions. So much of those thousands of dollars go to subsidize capitalized cost reductions, residuals, and/or interest rates.

Incentives that large usually means that a brand is trying to sell volume well in excess of demand for it.

For some time now, it's been "cheaper" to lease a BMW 320 than buy a Honda Civic in the US.

We joked around the office that BMW's model designations refer to the monthly lease deals.
    [​IMG]

#514 aldo90731, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    Alexbucks likes this.
  15. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Something like average $5k for BMW in the US.

16. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 LOAD "*",8,1

Actually, it really is spelled "binging." Both ways. When pronounced with a soft G it refers to the act of the binge-watch (or other binge activities). If it's pronounced with a hard G, THEN it's searching with MIcrosoft's search engine.

JavelinAMX likes this.
  17. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

That's one reason why I've reverted back to merely saying : "Search" or "Internet Search" . Too many "Huh? Wha?" responses led to the change. Not suggesting to others that they should do the same; it was just time-consuming to repeat or clarify.

18. Erik Latranyi

Giulia has 4.4% interest for 72 months and Giulia Ti has a $1000 rebate on the hood right now.

aldo90731 likes this.
  19. aldo90731

Hmmm... that doesn't sound very competitive.

I'm sure they I'll dial it up in a few months...

20. Erik Latranyi

I honestly hope that they will not need to "dial it up". I hope their success is massive.

GasAxe, Morty, JavelinAMX and 4 others like this.